Surprised they dropped the 32gb????

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I would throw in a lot of people are cheap and want the cheapest best thing, so they settle with a 16gb iphone.

And they are also the same people who either just deal with lack of internal storage by backing pictures/videos up to make room or they will adapt to the Cloud storage movement.

I mean honestly, we all need to start moving towards Cloud based storage because that is, unquestionably, where the future is heading...but for now, since I have a 64GB option that I won't ever need (for the foreseeable future), I'll just be happy I never have to worry about overloading it and won't really be spending much more at all.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No, it made good sense to me. Most who want more than 16 gb, want more than 32.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
"Highly cost conscious" probably, but to say an iPhone 6 buyer on release month is cheap... Well, a little untrue. :)

I'm not saying just release month but my dad just bought a new iPhone a few months ago and price was determining factor.

The cloud will never be as big or the future for a lot of people until unlimited data comes back. Yes I get wifi is in a lot of places but a lot of big factories or warehouses do not offer that.

With that said I have unlimited data so it doesn't effect me.

Also I'll be going with the 64 gb since there isn't a 32gb this time.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I was surprised by this as well. I guess the 16 is their highest margin phone and the one they sell the most of which is why the kept it. In all honesty, its completely inconsistent to give a "price break" on the higher capacity models but not the base.

16gb with no options of expansion is pretty paltry.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I was surprised by this as well. I guess the 16 is their highest margin phone and the one they sell the most of which is why the kept it. In all honesty, its completely inconsistent to give a "price break" on the higher capacity models but not the base.

16gb with no options of expansion is pretty paltry.

The larger capacity iPhones are the highest margin. An extra 16/32GB of flash memory does not cost Apple $100.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
The larger capacity iPhones are the highest margin. An extra 16/32GB of flash memory does not cost Apple $100.

If the cost of memory is dropping to the point that Apple is able offer an extra 32 and 64GB for free, what do you think that does to the margin's on the 16gb without a price drop? It is a money grab.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
If the cost of memory is dropping to the point that Apple is able offer an extra 32 and 64GB for free, what do you think that does to the margin's on the 16gb without a price drop? It is a money grab.

And by the way, I am not complaining. I would have bought the 32gb so now I can get the 64 for same price. The 16 though, is now totally overpriced.

Pete Sake

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
For Me I've always gone to the 32GB option so being the price point is the same on the 4.7 but I get twice as much space is a "Plus" in my book. (pun intended)

PlayfulCan0358

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
This is the same marketing ploy you see at McDonalds. Pay a C note more and get one free. All they want is the $100 bill. It costs them little.

This is me! Is that you?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Believe it or not, there's a whole lot of iPhone users whom only want 16 gb. We're all fanboys and fangirls, or at least semi fanpeople. We use more space than the average iPhone user. Take my wife [uses Rodney Dangerfield voice], who got a 32 gb 5c in March. She started with about 28 gb. She still has 24 gb available. Not much music, very few apps and about 600 photos. There's a lot of people like her, who just do not use that much space on their phone. So I can see keeping the 16 gb model. The rest of us wanted more than 32. Who wanted 32 gb for $299, when they can have 64 gb for $299? Apple has given us a bargain.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

chris_26

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Not surprised they are forcing fans to either spend more or use their iCloud service.

Moves like this is why sometimes I hate Apple.

tapatalk LG pro D852

If you were looking to buy the 32gb iphone 6 you are actually saving money. You will pay the same price but instead a 64gb.. That is a bargain you.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I would've loved to pay the same price of a 16gig for a 32gig. But whatever. 64gig @ the price of what the 32gig costs is cool.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Like others I am surprised that they did not kill the 16gb and start with 32gb for $199. However, I wanted to get the 32gb so I'm not upset that I'll be getting 64gb for what traditionally was the 32gb price point.

richv77

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that. 32GB was plenty fine for me. I personally do not know anyone with the 64GB model.
It's not the storage size increase as much as the 64GB model costs $749 without tax! How about adding a warrant on top of that?
BTW, I often buy Off Contract.

-Rich