iPhone 6 vs 6 plus

Spaz888

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I think everything now will come down to personal preference. I hope to see Samsung lower their prices as I can see a lot of people switching to the iPhone 6 + instead of getting the Note 4. One of the big reasons to go for the Note 4 is unlike all other (smaller screened) Samsung devices, it will come in with 3 GB of RAM plus an MicroSD card unlike with the 6+ where you're forced to pay $100 more for each incremental storage upgrade eg. 16 to 32 to 64, etc. Samsung devices, at least in Canada are LOCKED even when bought at full retail at the Samsung store. With the iPhone, it's unlocked.

Most competitive smartphones now have their own pros and cons. However, for me, the 4.7 inch screen is too small and 16 GB is simply not adequate unless you have a small number of apps, you will run out of space quickly like I do and I am constantly removing and adding apps as need. Furthermore, many companies like Evernote are creating very bloated apps for iOS.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Despite the premium thread I started about the 6 plus, I don't want to alter the way I use an iPhone. So I'll go with the iPhone 6. There's no point in ordering the plus because I already know it's too big. One handed use is a must not an option for me.

Id be fine with the 5S but I've noticed some slight lag with iOS 8 gm. And I'd really like the faster LTE, wifi, and 128gb. Not to mention all the minor features.

If I want bigger I have an iPad which is pretty cool with iOS 8 and continuity and handoff.

The 6 plus would have to be more compelling. Run iPad (like) apps. Split screen apps. Or have an integrated stylus. Just something more. Maybe someday it will feel like it was made for iOS instead of an afterthought.

How many columns have we read about androids stretched apps for their bigger screens? And now apple seems to be doing the same? Is Apple fragmenting? Will we see apps made for plus? How will apps designed mostly for 4" screens translate? How will apps be designed going forward? I'd like to see how it goes and reevaluate next year.

Ps. I reserve the right to flip flop at any time. This is how I feel today...lol

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I think if the bezel on the 6+ was reduced I'd choose it with zero hesitation. As it is, the extreme bezel and overall height has me thinking it's, dare I say it, unattractive 😳

All caveats apply. Just my opinion. Haven't seen it in person. Not hating, etc. Just coming to grips that that it's actually the 'front' of the 6+, not the back, that has me a bit turned off.

Edit: I need to straighten up. Until it's in my cold sweaty hands, passing judgement is premature and futile.

I agree and I'm sure that's the way Apple will go in a couple of years. I still cant decide. My wife is going with the 4.7 so I'll probably just ordered the 5.5 and if it turns out too big I'll replace befofe two weeks.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Screen resolution of the 5.5 over the 4.7 does not really mean anything to me, I mean... are we really going like ...man I wish I had a few more pixels per inch, this 326ppi hurts my eyes.
I'm on the fence because of battery life and the OIS, I like the fact that I would have way more room for safari, videos and other media, but the portability get a huge hit with the size... Sooo big

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Going back to the ipad for a sec, you can make calls and message with it now. It links to iphone. Does this kill battery life on the iphone? Not sure yet. But if you have a Mini, it can be used more with the iphone 6 just taking a smaller role because of iOS 8 features.

I think I still prefer the ease of using a smaller phone and the option to grab the Mini (or Air) when I want media, ipad apps, etc.

Plus it's worthwhile to have an ipad on your carrier plan. You can use that line to upgrade to a phone. Switch sims around, convert a phone plan to a cheaper ipad plan. I always get a subsidized phone every year on verizon and immediately convert that line to an ipad line.

At any time, I can buy a new iphone on contract. Sell or keep it. And then convert that line to an ipad or tablet which is 10 per month. Since the subsidy is 450 dollars, the 10 per month doesn't mean much.

mjsavage

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I am buying the 64gb 6 debated on the 6+ but the cutout is huge. Got the 5s on contract so buying this year off contract then can get the larger one next year with the 6s+ if want the larger size. Also already purchased case off amazon so locked in now.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
That jpf22456#im guy is just trying to stir the pot. Ignore him. :)

wow, the Apple fan boys are sensitive. Hey, wait a min, between me, my wife, my daughter and my son, we have an ipad, 2 minis, 3 iphones, and an itouch. I guess I do have the right to an opinion.

get over it man. Not everyone is going to think the same way that you do. And guess what, you dont have to be offended when there is a different opinion. It is my opinion that the 6plus is too big. You dont see anyone getting upset with you, for thinking the 6plus is not too big. stop trying to stir things up. I like Apple products, but I will never understand why some apple fans take opinions so personally.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
for those of you thinking of the 6 plus. Here is a pdf with actual size that you can print and cut out. The 6s is like an ipad mini

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/original/75/04/63545864760455/0/635458647604557504.jpg

I thought the mini was seven inches?

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s

wow, the Apple fan boys are sensitive. Hey, wait a min, between me, my wife, my daughter and my son, we have an ipad, 2 minis, 3 iphones, and an itouch. I guess I do have the right to an opinion.

get over it man. Not everyone is going to think the same way that you do. And guess what, you dont have to be offended when there is a different opinion. It is my opinion that the 6plus is too big. You dont see anyone getting upset with you, for thinking the 6plus is not too big. stop trying to stir things up. I like Apple products, but I will never understand why some apple fans take opinions so personally.

You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion. But the fact is, the "6s" doesn't yet exist. And the iPhone 6 Plus is not even close to the size of the iPad Mini.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The way I see it, the 6 plus is too big for a phone and too small and limited for a tablet in that it runs phone apps (not ipad apps designed for 8" or 10" screen at 4:3 aspect ratio).

Maybe we'll see split screen next year with iOS 9 for the plus. Something to make it more compelling.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Like everyone else, I am also torn between the 6 and 6+. I think the 6+ may be too big, but I am worried I will regret my decision if I go with the 6. In addition, my wife is set on getting the 6+ and I don't want to have to see her phone everyday and be envious. HA!

FYI, the HTC One is 4.7" and the LG G3 is 5.5". I am going to go into my local Walmart and check out both. This should give a rough indication how each will look and feel. I think the paper cutouts can only provide a loose approximation.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Like everyone else, I am also torn between the 6 and 6+. I think the 6+ may be too big, but I am worried I will regret my decision if I go with the 6. In addition, my wife is set on getting the 6+ and I don't want to have to see her phone everyday and be envious. HA!

FYI, the HTC One is 4.7" and the LG G3 is 5.5". I am going to go into my local Walmart and check out both. This should give a rough indication how each will look and feel. I think the paper cutouts can only provide a loose approximation.

If you're trying to get an idea of the 5.5" 6+, you might want to play with a Note 3 instead. The overall size of the G3 is smaller than the 6+ despite the same 5.5" screen due to much smaller bezel. The 6+ is actually slightly larger than the Note 3/4 despite a 0.2" smaller screen.
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1410444964.451488.jpg

bklynblaze

Banned
Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Last night I printed out Anandtech's PDF that gives the exact sizing of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus which I then traced and cut out on thick cardboard to get a better feel in the hand than just thin paper. After messing around with both and placing them both in my pockets etc., I learned that...
The 6 plus is just too big!

I wanted to love it and thought I'd be swayed by the larger screen, slightly better camera and slightly longer lasting battery but as I compared and held the cut outs in hand the 6 feels much better. The 6 feels a lot more ergonomic in the hand and is a lot more pocket friendly. I like to whip my phones out of my pocket and mess around with it in one hand and with the 6 plus that definitely won't be possible..at least for me. Looking at the hands on videos it appears that the 6 is also a nice increase in size from the 5 and I'm sure the 4.7" screen will be plenty big enough for me as a phone. Remember we also have our iPads. :)

Maybe next year when Apple reduces the huge bezel on the 6 Plus and it's more manageable in the hand I will consider it but as of now for me anyway it is too big and longggg for my liking. Space Gray 64GB iPhone 6 for me. :big grin:

P.S. Also if you decide to put a case on the 6 Plus it will be monstrous! I'm out on that.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If you're trying to get an idea of the 5.5" 6+, you might want to play with a Note 3 instead. The overall size of the G3 is smaller than the 6+ despite the same 5.5" screen due to much smaller bezel. The 6+ is actually slightly larger than the Note 3/4 despite a 0.2" smaller screen.
View attachment 64392

A friend of mine has a Note 3, and on 2 occasions, I've grabbed it to get a sense of the size - it's gigantic compare to my 5.... I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting the 6 and not the 6 Plus... I can then splurge on the 128Gb 6, as it's the same price as a 64Gb 6 Plus... at least that's my logic at this point in time. Can change between now and 12am PDT ;)

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I think in order to ease the angst with deciding 6 vs. 6P. Keep in mind that we have 14 days to exchange the phone if you don't like what you get. So my strategy will be to order a 6P and if I don't like it exchange it for a 6. Of course the risk here is that if you need to exchange that the stock of the 6 could be out.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro