iPhone 6 vs 6 plus

raorth

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So last night I was pretty sure I was getting the 6+, now today I am wavering. Boss told me today the company will pay for the phone and I do plan on ordering tomorrow. Need to decide. Have any of you undecideds decided yet?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So last night I was pretty sure I was getting the 6+, now today I am wavering. Boss told me today the company will pay for the phone and I do plan on ordering tomorrow. Need to decide. Have any of you undecideds decided yet?

By definition, we haven’t decided yet. :)

I am really struggling with this one. I want the features of the Plus, but not sure I want that big of a phone in my pocket. I’m probably going to go Plus and then see what it’s like. I can always sell it or return it for the 4.7" model.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
After two days of waffling back and forth, I've decided on the 6+. If I can't adjust to the size in 14 days it'll go back. I already know the 4.7" would be manageable so no reason to try that one first.

Now, the color. I was intent on getting white/silver cause I thought the white faced 5S' were sleek. But after watching videos, I think the black masks the bezel better. Torn. Again.

BobLobIaw

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, over in WP land I remember when the very large Lumia 1520 (6" screen) came out--most people who took the plunge had the following experience: "I thought it would be too big but after a couple days I got used to it and now my old phone looks like a toy. I'm never going back to a small phone." YMMV, but as someone who has not yet owned a phablet it certainly made an impression. The 6 Plus seems big to me, but I have no doubt I'd adapt to the size quickly and really enjoy all that screen acreage.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Serious question: Under what circumstances is one-handed use necessary? It seems to me to be a preference-based requirement, which is fine, but I've yet to figure out a time where I can't easily use two hands. For me, it would just be changing some minor habits. Do you have any more specific perspective to share? Thanks.

Usually just navigating or scrolling around the phone, I use my left thumb as the phone is held with my left hand. When I type, it's with two hands, so no problem there, but I'm not typing on a phone all the time.

Anyways, it seems odd to have to explain one handed use and why it's important..

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
One more thing to ponder is the iphone 6 plus downscaling all content. This would seem to put a burden on the cpu and could maybe cause some minor lag, choppiness, or blurriness.

Hands-on with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Apple?€™s first crack at big phones | Ars Technica

We didn’t see any visible blurriness as a result of this scaling, though some UI animations and transitions seemed to be a little choppier than they are on the iPhone 6 or our iPhone 5S—we’ll need to wait for our full review to see just how the A8 chip handles the resolution change

That's not what I want to hear. We know the A8 is pushing more pixels (over 2 million on the Plus vs the over one million on the iphone 6) but it's also having to downscale on the fly.

Here's what another site had to say: https://medium.com/@brucewangsg/the-curious-case-of-iphone-6-1080p-display-b33dac5bbcb6

Get it right from the start?

Why not just the right display instead of 1080p display, oh why Apple why? Why not get it right from the start?

1. Apple is probably trying to cut cost. It use commonly available 1080p panel that we have seen on many competitors’ devices. Apple has to keep a certain profit margin and it is not like iPhone 6+ price differs a lot from iPhone 6. It’s only $100 more expensive. Bigger screen, bigger battery, better camera. And potentially iPhone 6+ cutting into iPad sales. Where do we cover the lost to begin with?

2. Supply of panels. If Apple has to come out with its own customized display, will iPhone 6+ be delayed?

It’s not going to be resolution-gate case instead I can say Apple pulled a smart move. A move that:
1. In the future, let’s imagine the next iPhone 7+. Apple can return to original 1242px by 2208px without much changes and clashes with app developers.
2. It fits nicely to satisfy the DPI requirement and effective device resolution. Physically 1080p, but way more than 1080p.
3. Cost wise helps the profit margin
4. Tapping on available supply helps Apple quickly produce iPhone 6+ to meet the demands.

And yes it hurts that Apple is willing to compromise.

TLDR; In the landscape of touch devices, PPI is getting higher and higher. An exercise of choosing the right scaling factor has to be carried out to get the touch devices fit into acceptable range of DPIs. At the heart of the implementation, Apple chose precise 3x scaling for its iPhone 6+ at 462ppi/154dpi 1242px by 2208px. But it is downsampled to fit its physical 1080p panel.

Nurnberg77

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the 6-plus will just be too big for me. I'm going with the 6 at 64gb. Wifey is getting the 6-plus. I'll get her to trade with me if push comes to shove and I regret my decision!

Now...can you all help me decide which color? lol

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I think the 6-plus will just be too big for me. I'm going with the 6 at 64gb. Wifey is getting the 6-plus. I'll get her to trade with me if push comes to shove and I regret my decision!

Haha can't go wrong with those options. Space Grey looks the best imo.

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Serious question: Under what circumstances is one-handed use necessary? It seems to me to be a preference-based requirement, which is fine, but I've yet to figure out a time where I can't easily use two hands. For me, it would just be changing some minor habits. Do you have any more specific perspective to share? Thanks.

Walking through an airport pulling a suitcase and using my phone one handed so I don't have to stop walking and get in the way of others walking past me. I live in airports practically so it's important to me.

BobLobIaw

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Usually just navigating or scrolling around the phone, I use my left thumb as the phone is held with my left hand. When I type, it's with two hands, so no problem there, but I'm not typing on a phone all the time.

Anyways, it seems odd to have to explain one handed use and why it's important..

No problem, I was just curious. It sounds like you just prefer using one hand, which is fine. Maybe the better question is what wouldn't we be able to do on the iPhone 6 Plus with one hand? I'm not too familiar with the iPhone UI but it seems like most things could still be done with the screen reducer function. I guess I'll just have to test one out and see.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
After two days of waffling back and forth, I've decided on the 6+. If I can't adjust to the size in 14 days it'll go back. I already know the 4.7" would be manageable so no reason to try that one first.

Now, the color. I was intent on getting white/silver cause I thought the white faced 5S' were sleek. But after watching videos, I think the black masks the bezel better. Torn. Again.

I’m locked in and ready to buy.

iPhone 6 Plus, Space Gray, 64GB and AppleCare+

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

That’s funny. My wife came home from work today and I started in about my struggle deciding between 6/6 Plus. Her response was to get one of each, so that I could switch back and forth. But I didn’t bite. I saw that "I'm heading to the (a) jewelry store, (b) shoe store" look in her eye.

Doing the 6 Plus, Space Gray, myself.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Those are the two colors I'm between as well. Pick one. I'll get the other ;)

That was the easy part. I prefer the black bezel.

I've always had black iPhones since they came to Verizon (and I'm lucky enough to upgrade every year). I feel like maybe I should try something new! I have a white iPad (which I got the wrong color by mistake and just kept it/ended up liking it). I have about 18 hours to make a decision haha.

Finn - I think I made up my mind. White iPhone with a black case?!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73