iPhone 6 video camera recording: 4K or 1080p?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious as to the quality of the video recording on the iPhone 6. I know that nothing's been confirmed yet, but I'd love a 4K camera for videos and photos! The latest Android devices (Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4) have this feature.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB, using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you own a 4K television? If you do, you're part of an extremely tiny sector of consumer that bought into this technology early. We're talking smaller than even the early adopters of Blu-Ray when HDDVD was still in a heated competition with them.

The truth is, most consumers will be using these 4K recordings on a TV which will downscale them to 1080p...and if we've learned anything over the years, most consumers can't even see a truly reflective difference between 720p and 1080p when asked to choose one in a testing environment.

I'm not going to say that 4K technology is a gimmick because I've seen some breathtaking examples of it (especially on some of Canon's recent camera packages on the market)...on a smart phone though, it's purely a gimmick right now...a selling point to try and "one up" the next guy's smart phone offering. It's really on the level of ridiculously high megapixel ratings, and until the consumer market buys into the 4K tech in a more general sense, I think I'd rather the still camera technology receive more fit and finish development vs. pushing for 4K video sensors.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you own a 4K television? If you do, you're part of an extremely tiny sector of consumer that bought into this technology early. We're talking smaller than even the early adopters of Blu-Ray when HDDVD was still in a heated competition with them.

The truth is, most consumers will be using these 4K recordings on a TV which will downscale them to 1080p...and if we've learned anything over the years, most consumers can't even see a truly reflective difference between 720p and 1080p when asked to choose one in a testing environment.

I'm not going to say that 4K technology is a gimmick because I've seen some breathtaking examples of it (especially on some of Canon's recent camera packages on the market)...on a smart phone though, it's purely a gimmick right now...a selling point to try and "one up" the next guy's smart phone offering. It's really on the level of ridiculously high megapixel ratings, and until the consumer market buys into the 4K tech in a more general sense, I think I'd rather the still camera technology receive more fit and finish development vs. pushing for 4K video sensors.

I agree, I think 1080p is fine and also will cut down on some of the size of images, helping free up more space on devices. 4k files are huge and would eat into the iPhone storage really quickly.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to the quality of the video recording on the iPhone 6. I know that nothing's been confirmed yet, but I'd love a 4K camera for videos and photos! The latest Android devices (Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4) have this feature.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB, using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

The latest android devices also have NFC, wireless charging and many other things the iPhone lacks. Apple seems to march to their own drum and not necessarily jump into new tech until it is more mature and more adopted (look at lte, larger screens, etc)

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it will still be 1080p but maybe add an option for 60 fps video recording.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S (beta testing) using Tapatalk

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Even if you record in 4k and it downscales to 1080p, you will still see the benefit of 4k recording. You will also be able to zoom in on your videos and lose less quality compared to 1080.

If the rumors are true in where iPhone 6 will use the same camera sensor as the Sony xperia z3 (but with lower mp), there shouldn't be a reason why the ip6 should lack 4k recording.

Heck, it would give consumers more reason to buy retina macbook pros knowing that they can view their movies in higher res.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Even if you record in 4k and it downscales to 1080p, you will still see the benefit of 4k recording. You will also be able to zoom in on your videos and lose less quality compared to 1080.

If the rumors are true in where iPhone 6 will use the same camera sensor as the Sony xperia z3 (but with lower mp), there shouldn't be a reason why the ip6 should lack 4k recording.

Heck, it would give consumers more reason to buy retina macbook pros knowing that they can view their movies in higher res.

Macbook Pro (r)'s aren't equipped with 4K screens, so it really wouldn't make a difference at all for people who buy them.

As far as the zoom feature, again, downscaling is a process that is applied spectrum wide to source material, so when it is downscaled, the zoom quality is not retained...it is also downscaled (and thus, quality diminished). If you're talking about zoom function while recording the video...this is another downside of the functionality on a smart phone...the zoom function will not operate like you find on true depth 4K cameras on the market...you'll be limited to the device's sensor size (just like on the cameras found on all smart phones, even the high end Lumia camera hardware).

Let me be clear...I won't be unhappy if they decide to include 4K recording abilities (as generally useless as it will be), I will be a bit disappointed if the still camera isn't polished up as a better function though...and that tends to be the move when these kinds of features are put in. Makes it easier to sell a product when people are wow'ed about the newest tech...when the reality is making the still camera even more optimized would be a far more useful addition, and people would enjoy it more (even if they didn't get wow'ed as much by it vs. a gimmick like 4K).

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather have 1080, 4k doesn't seem to be really taking off that much. I'd give another year before ppl really pick up on it.

Tapatalk'n On The 5s

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Macbook Pro (r)'s aren't equipped with 4K screens, so it really wouldn't make a difference at all for people who buy them.

As far as the zoom feature, again, downscaling is a process that is applied spectrum wide to source material, so when it is downscaled, the zoom quality is not retained...it is also downscaled (and thus, quality diminished). If you're talking about zoom function while recording the video...this is another downside of the functionality on a smart phone...the zoom function will not operate like you find on true depth 4K cameras on the market...you'll be limited to the device's sensor size (just like on the cameras found on all smart phones, even the high end Lumia camera hardware).

Let me be clear...I won't be unhappy if they decide to include 4K recording abilities (as generally useless as it will be), I will be a bit disappointed if the still camera isn't polished up as a better function though...and that tends to be the move when these kinds of features are put in. Makes it easier to sell a product when people are wow'ed about the newest tech...when the reality is making the still camera even more optimized would be a far more useful addition, and people would enjoy it more (even if they didn't get wow'ed as much by it vs. a gimmick like 4K).

I have a 15 mbpr and I can assure you that I can see a difference between a 4k video and a 1080 video. I understand that the macbook doesn't display all of 4k but you do benefit from a higher resolution screen and video.

Also, the zoom feature that I am talking about will only work as a digital zoom. Of course, we know that optical is favored over digital but when you are working with a higher MP video, you wont get as grainy a video compared to a 1080p when you zoom in. Will the quality still be horrible? Yes of course. It is a digital zoom and like you mentioned, limited to the camera size on the phone. Either way, there are some benefits to 4k which was my point.

Enhancing on a 1080p video is great and all but saying that 4k is a gimmick is unfair. I can honestly see the benefit of it compared to 1080. Am I wowed by 4k recording? Yup. Will enhanced 1080p recording and still images be a useful addition? Of course. However, if apple cannot produce a 4k recording device at this point, I'd be disappointed. The technology is there and I would be surprised if one of the leaders in technology doesn't capture it.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Homestly 4K isn't a big enough thing yet. I know zero people with a 4K TV. It would be cool to have, but another thing to consider is how much more space that takes up on a phone.

Pete Sake

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Id honestly be shocked if it shot in 4K. I understand that Samsung has introduced this into their galaxy line up but as stated above a 4K TV isn't a price friendly option to the masses.

I would honestly like to see some sort of light field technology with the 6.

Lytro Light-field Camera

TerenceTanWT

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Most probably 1080p. 16GB of internal storage won't be enough to record 4k videos for a substantial period of time, maybe just several short clips (15-20 seconds).

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Who needs 4k recording on a cell phone in the first place?

If you really need 4k recording get a proper camcorder. 1080p isn't good enough????

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234