iPhone 6 (codename: flavourstone)

MrJustastic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
was reading an article regarding the iPad and some offbeat speculation that the mini was delayed due to the application of a non-reflective treatment to the screen and it got me thinking and I'm not even going to try explain the thought process that got me here..

The sapphire Apple are producing in mass amounts might not be for single chunks of it but for finer dust that could be utilized in compounds made with sapphire. Used in this way would be cheaper and faster and would potentially make for a viable alternative to Gorilla Glass should that compound be for a screen or screen process.

For example, non-stick surfaces were made for increased hardness and scratch resistance using titanium, diamond and sapphire..

Sapphire is (supposedly) used in the making of the FlavourStone cooking wares you will most likely seen on some dodgy tv shopping network. So if sapphire can lead to sapphire non-stick baking wares, could we see a sapphire non-stick, scratch-resistant and inventive utility made for mobile devices? It wouldn't be the first time a grand idea was born from simple transference of some industrial application...

Is it even possible? This is not speculation as to what they are actually doing, but I was intrigued and wondered what others might think....

Apple does have a bit of a scratch issue that a scratch resistant coating would help with..
I don't think non-stick would help unless a phone that slides right out of your hand is desirable..
A fractionally rougher screen due to a powderdust coat would help be anti-reflective, but too rough on the fingertips?..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't care less about what the screen is made of as long as it works similar to or better that the current retina displays....:)....I'm not going to be running around bragging that my iPhone's display is made of Gorilla Glass, Sapphire or any other material because when you get down to it, the display, regardless of the material it is made of, is simply a piece of the iPhone that allows us to view our screen with great clarity and access our apps....:)....Good post, though.

Last edited:

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree with JustMe'D, as long as it is as good or better than the current displays, I'm fine with it. It it has sapphire, great, if it's Gorilla Glass, that's great too :)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
A fractionally rougher screen due to a powderdust coat would help be anti-reflective, but too rough on the fingertips?..

That right there is my exact assumption of what the surface of the glass would feel like if any manufacturer, let alone Apple, was to coat the glass so much to be anti-reflective that the texture of it would be too rough. I even think there would be possible calibration issues with a rougher screen like that.

MrJustastic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
the texture of the older MacBook Pro matt screens wasn't very rough.
But I'm not sure how it would hold up for a touch device that is constantly having sensitive fingertips dragged about it constantly. It's probably nothing...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice