iPhone 6 - One Phone... Any Carrier?

XeyeL

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if I will be able to purchase an iPhone 6 out right and take to any carrier? This is the one thing I wish we could do in the U.S. It is frustrating that you can't use one phone for any carrier. This has been long over due in my opinion. This way we can switch to any carrier whenever we are not satisfied with the service being provided.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes if you buy the Verizon version it will be unlocked and you can to any carrier. It might have changed if you buy any phone outright it should be unlocked. But the Verizon phone is the best one to get as it will have all the frequencies need for most carriers.

XeyeL

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you're right. Although, I was under the impression that you would lose out on features and it wouldn't work with all frequencies from the other carriers (ex. 4g). The fact that you can't just go into an Apple store and purchase an iPhone without having to choose a carrier first makes the whole thing uneasy.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
You could wait and buy a full "officially" unlocked device. But, if you buy a Verizon model outright, it is unlocked and you can use it on any carrier of your choice and it will work.

XeyeL

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Features such as what?

Features like LTE, but from your other response it seems that is no longer an issue. I was also under the impression that you would lose out on visual voicemail.

You could ask your current carrier to unlock it for you!

I know Verizon sells the phone unlocked out of the box. I'm trying to avoid getting a 2 year contract. I've been on Verizon for years, but haven't been too happy with their service recently. I'd like to have the freedom to try other carriers like T-Mo and get better rates. If I don't like them then switch back to Verizon.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Features like LTE, but from your other response it seems that is no longer an issue. I was also under the impression that you would lose out on visual voicemail.

I know Verizon sells the phone unlocked out of the box. I'm trying to avoid getting a 2 year contract. I've been on Verizon for years, but haven't been too happy with their service recently. I'd like to have the freedom to try other carriers like T-Mo and get better rates. If I don't like them then switch back to Verizon.

Maybe you could buy it unlocked through Verizon, then go to T-Mobile.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
When did this change?

That must have changed with the Verizon 5s.

It's just like the iPad 3; unlocked world version. Can be used on Verizon lte & AT&T lte and T-Mobile 4G. Same with the iPhone; has all of the bands. This is so they don't have to make a bunch of different variants. Buy it off contract and it's yours to take wherever. Not sure about Sprint.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if I will be able to purchase an iPhone 6 out right and take to any carrier? This is the one thing I wish we could do in the U.S. It is frustrating that you can't use one phone for any carrier. This has been long over due in my opinion. This way we can switch to any carrier whenever we are not satisfied with the service being provided.

You can, but like one of the other commenters said certain networks you would only get 3g(hspa+ and not lte across every carrier) maybe this year will be different and they will have one model that truly works on every carrier.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Really? I would think purchasing a Verizon iPhone will be locked to only Verizon.

Buying it outright means it is unlocked, and the Verizon version has all of the CDMA and GSM band to support all carriers but Sprint.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Does Verizon also sell iPhones exclusively for Verizon only or are they all unlocked?

Yes they sell the exclusive Verizon models, but those are the subsidized models that cost $199 on contract. But, if you were to go into a Verizon Store or Apple Store and purchase the iPhone for the full $650 price, it would be considered unlocked and you could use it for a number of other carriers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2