If the iPhone 6 screen is not made of Sapphire, do you care?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Basically what the title states. If the next iphone comes once again with Gorilla glass vs Sapphire crystal, do you care? For those who follow the rumor mill closely, are you upset at the prospect that a feature that was once deemed as a 'given' is now being touted as 'unlikely'? For me personally, I only care from the standpoint that I thought this might finally alleviate my need for a screen protector. Aside from that, I don't much care.

agp101

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
There are way more important hardware upgrades I'd care about before even beginning to think of "Sapphire" displays. It's a good material with a 'gorgeous' name.. Meaning it will be easy for Apple to market the hell out of it. But really, it wouldn't improve my life experience one bit.

Posted via iMore App

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It wouldn't matter to me at all. I think Gorilla Glass is more than adequate with no screen protector applied

Squeeze Play

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There are way more important hardware upgrades I'd care about before even beginning to think of "Sapphire" displays. It's a good material with a 'gorgeous' name.. Meaning it will be easy for Apple to market the hell out of it. But really, it wouldn't improve my life experience one bit.

Posted via iMore App

I agree. I've owned iPhones since 2007 and have never scratched a screen. Of course, now I've jinxed it. :D

agp101

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
What I've actually heard is that not the screen, but the glass over the touch ID home button will be made of sapphire. If anything this makes sense, because I'm not even sure it's possible to produce tens of millions of phones with sapphire displays. That's a lot of surface area already, and then multiple it by a factor representing the bump in screen size of the iPhone 6 and that's a whole lot more surface area. Is there even enough sapphire available for this sort of production? That's assuming Apple can even turn a profit from these devices if this was the case.

Here's the source I got my info from, and it makes a LOT of sense to me. Of course we don't know what's true or what's not, but this is certainly plausible.

iPhone 6 Sapphire: Explained!: http://youtu.be/b7ANcWQEUI8

Posted via iMore App

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
What I've actually heard is that not the screen, but the glass over the touch ID home button will be made of sapphire. If anything this makes sense, because I'm not even sure it's possible to produce tens of millions of phones with sapphire displays. That's a lot of surface area already, and then multiple it by a factor representing the bump in screen size of the iPhone 6 and that's a whole lot more surface area. Is there even enough sapphire available for this sort of production? That's assuming Apple can even turn a profit from these devices if this was the case.

Here's the source I got my info from, and it makes a LOT of sense to me. Of course we don't know what's true or what's not, but this is certainly plausible.

iPhone 6 Sapphire: Explained!: iPhone 6 Sapphire: Explained! - YouTube

Posted via iMore App

This is already the case with the iPhone 5S. The home button and the glass over the camera are both made from laser-cut sapphire crystal so production needs and profit shoud not be any issue come the iphone 6 in this regard.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter to me either way. I have never used screen protectors, and the glass on my 5C is still fine.

agp101

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
This is already the case with the iPhone 5S. The home button and the glass over the camera are both made from laser-cut sapphire crystal so production needs and profit shoud not be any issue come the iphone 6 in this regard.

Yeah you're right I forgot that detail in the video. Watched it a couple weeks ago.

Posted via iMore App

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I almost never dropped my phone, and I have never had a cracked screen. But I have seen scratches on gorilla glass too, mostly from sand in pockets when users put their phone in. So I get a screen protector for all my devices. To me if spending less than $10 on a good quality glass screen protector could save me the potential heartache, why not.

So it wouldn't matter too much to me if it's gorilla glass or sapphire glass.

billyboydoy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I will buy 6 with any display and just wait for 6s with 5.5 display and the S witch stands for sapphire. I would buy iPhones no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
A Sapphire screen would be NICE, but if not thats okay. I will be using a GLASS screen protector anyway.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't care one bit about it not being made of sapphire as long as the device is well-built, professional-looking and simply works as well as its predecessors...:)