To Get the iPhone 6, or to wait it out

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5S (16 gb, AT&T), and I won't lie, I always need the newest thing. I got this phone in January of this year, and would sort of like to get the iPhone 6 when it comes out. If I decide to, yes, I will be one of THOSE people that wait outside a store on launch day. But I'm just not sure it's worth the contract trouble, as well as the possibility of a full retail purchase. There's nothing wrong with my 5S.. There's some scratching on the top of the front part of the screen near the ear piece, and a few nicks around the edges, but that's all covered by my new LifeProof which works great. If I sold this phone (+ the Lifeproof) I could get somewhere around $500, meaning I'd only pay about $150 out of pocket on launch.

It isn't even announced yet, so I know there isn't much to go off of, but what do you guys think? What do you do?

I've never fully ridden out a 2 year contract before, as I always have the 's' of the iPhone. (The 3GS, 4S, 5S). But the idea interests me. Please, let me know what your guys' opinions are, as well as what you'll be doing.

Thanks!
-Andrew

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
What is this contract thing you speak of? I always sell my phone which usually covers most of the cost of the new phone. Doing this means I end up getting a new phone and paying just as much if not less out of pocket then a subsided price with a 2 year contract.

Sent from my Death Note

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Really can't say, till I see whats coming out, and even then if I do it won't be for month or 2 after launch. I like to check out the reviews before running out.
Either way my 5s is an awesome phone, so if I decide to wait, Im still good.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
If I just got the 5s withn the last year, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless an amazing new feature that you can't live without is announced. :)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 5s a few months ago and it's great. I have no intention of getting an iPhone 6 at this time. Since you say you like to have the latest device, I would sell the 5s and use the money toward the iPhone 6. Good luck.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Really can't say, till I see whats coming out, and even then if I do it won't be for month or 2 after launch. I like to check out the reviews before running out.
Either way my 5s is an awesome phone, so if I decide to wait, Im still good.

Do you go without a phone for a day or so? Or do you just front yourself the money to buy the new phone, them sell the old one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you go without a phone for a day or so? Or do you just front yourself the money to buy the new phone, them sell the old one?

If I do go for the 6, this year I will be up for an upgrade.But I have paid full and sold or traded phone.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

I usually just pay for the device in full, and then sell the older phone after. You still end up with a majority of your money.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I get every new iphone on the day of launch. For me, the decision is not based on the remaining capabilities of my current device. Heck, I could arguably still rock the iphone 4 tucked away in my desk drawer without issue. My phone is my one treasured tangible item. It is the one thing that is with me more than my wallet. Therefore, I want the newest version the moment I can get it so that I can take advantage of whatever enhancements that come with it. I usually have an upgrade eligible, and I am selling a year-old mint condition phone each year, so if anything I end up making money by upgrading. It's a simple decision for me.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.. I wonder how much I could get away with paying for it, as my contract isn't up for about another year.. And I have no intentions of signing up for AT&T Next.

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I typically get a new phone ever 8-14months since I get bored and I also like to try different things, currently on a Nexus 5 and I'm almost certain I will pick up a iPhone 6 at launch.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Part of me wants to keep my current setup, which is the 5s and iPad Air and change my data plan to 10 GB a month, but part of me wants to get the 6.

September will be here before you know it. The rumors and leaks start pouring out in August and by September, the market will be busy.

Here's the schedule of what will most likely happen:

early September: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (two models) unveiled at IFA 2014 in Berlin

Mid to late September: iPhone 6 (4.7" and maybe 5.5") unveiled along with iOS 8.

Mid-late October: iWatch, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, MacBook Air Retina, MacBook Pro Retina unveiled

I'd suggest that you wait until the 6 comes out. Do your research (I watch YouTube reviews, read reviews online, and go to the Apple Store to test the device in person). After that you can decide what you'd like to do.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, as much as I would like to get the new iPhone 6, I really can't justify getting a new phone because my 5S is everything I want. I'm really not one of those who needs a bigger screen either. I usually can adjust to the size of any device that I'm using at the time. Plus, having the iPhone/iPad combo really cancels the need for the bigger screen on a smartphone. I am actually excited about keeping my 5S for a while.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm just not too sure yet! Of course, the next iPhone will be a nice upgrade. (4,5,6). I don't really mind the screen size, and I can't think of anything else it'll offer if I have iOS 8. But still, according to my eligibility, I can get a new iPhone (5S currently), for $450 straight from Apple. I can sell my phone for anywhere around $400-450, plus a Lifeproof with it, so I'm looking at around $500-550. So if anything I'd make money so it seems. I guess there's not really any reason to pass up the 6.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just stick to your iPhone 5s. It's a great device.. Instead, I would suggest you to go for iWatch(incase it comes out).

I am currently on iPhone 5 which I bought in March 2013 and will be using until fall of next year i.e., when 6s would be out!

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Just stick to your iPhone 5s. It's a great device.. Instead, I would suggest you to go for iWatch(incase it comes out).

I am currently on iPhone 5 which I bought in March 2013 and will be using until fall of next year i.e., when 6s would be out!

That is a very wise idea, thank you for your insight!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711