On/off/sleep button on the side of iP6 = BAD Idea !!!!

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Probably fake due to the overall lack of information, and the screenshots feature a slightly off dock bar.

Plus the fact that these renders were out before the dummy iPhone 6 surfaced, so I think it definitely confirms that it's a fake :)

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had the iPhone 5, BB Z10, Q10, and Z30 all with the power button on the top. I've also had a Note 3 and currently am using a Moto X, both with power buttons on the side. At 6'1", I have fairly big hands and I greatly prefer the power button on the side. I find it much easier to use one handed hitting it with my thumb and can do it without having to adjust my grip. The iPhone 5 wasn't to bad on top since it is so small, but I hated it on top of the Z30 with the 5" screen, it was a pain to hit and I had to readjust my grip and stretch my hand to do it, or do it with two hands. The Note 3 was easier to hit on the side than the Z30 was even though it was much bigger than the Z30. My Moto X is really easy to use on the side and I never get accidental hits. I think the 4.7" screen with the power button on the side is about perfect. I'm looking forward to the 6 coming out.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is a good example of a phone with the power button on the side. It has a 4.95" screen, and putting the power button on top of that would've been a huge mistake. It is much easier to turn on and off with it being on the side, as I can easily get to the button with my thumb. If it was on the top, I would've had to readjust my grip to get to the top, which would make it more of a possibility to drop my phone :)

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Love power buttons on the side it makes it so much easier to hit, I don't need to jiggle my hands around or move. Not ever had an issue with hitting the volume/power by mistake since there on the opposite sides personally but I think the advantages are worth it for a little issue that only hurts a tiny subset.

Just try and use a device as tall as the rumour'd iPhone 6 e.g. Nexus 5/S4/HTC M7 and its tough to reach the top during typical 1 hand usage.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Love power buttons on the side it makes it so much easier to hit, I don't need to jiggle my hands around or move. Not ever had an issue with hitting the volume/power by mistake since there on the opposite sides personally but I think the advantages are worth it for a little issue that only hurts a tiny subset.

Just try and use a device as tall as the rumour'd iPhone 6 e.g. Nexus 5/S4/HTC M7 and its tough to reach the top during typical 1 hand usage.

Exactly! I agree 100%! :)

psiu_glen

May 13, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia's have Volume +/-, Power, and camera shutter buttons all along the right hand side. Not a problem, however, I very very rarely turn the phone on with the power button.

I either double tap the screen to wake, or just hold the shutter button to go straight into the Camera app.

edit: the double tap to wake on the screen, like wireless charging, just seems so completely normal after a while. Here to check things out in anticipation of a possible switch, but definitely will miss some things. Anyway, that's another thread! :)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I use a Note 3 and still would prefer the power button on the top. If it's on the side it won't prevent me from purchasing the iPhone 6 but I prefer the button on the top.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It honestly doesn't matter to me either way. I love the power button on top, but for larger devices it is easier to have it on the side. I used a Galaxy S4 for a few days, and found the power button on the side to be very easy to use and convenient. Not once did I accidentaly press any other buttons (volume, etc) while pressing the power button on the right side of the phone.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It honestly doesn't matter to me either way. I love the power button on top, but for larger devices it is easier to have it on the side. I used a Galaxy S4 for a few days, and found the power button on the side to be very easy to use and convenient. Not once did I accidentaly press any other buttons (volume, etc) while pressing the power button on the right side of the phone.

Exactly. The button on the side isn't a bad idea, it is actually better IMO on phones larger than 4.5".

Don't get me wrong though, power buttons on the top are good too :)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I have an HTC One M7 and have no issues with the power button being on top. I love it. No misclicks at all and I find it easy to get to.

On my Note 3 (and previously on my S3 and S4) I constantly hit the power button whilst I was changing the volume, or vice versa.

Once you start going bigger, I think the device becomes less about using it one handed and more about the functionality a larger device can bring. I don't think I have ever used my Note 3 one-handed, so the power button could be on the top, side or bottom and still be just as accessible for me.

There's a lot of rumours flying about regarding the iPhone 6 and I have to say that I dislike the vast majority of them. Thinner device, rounded sides, power button on the side and so on. If some of the rumours are true, I believe the phone is starting the slippery slide towards homogenisation with the vast majority of other mobile phone brands and is in danger of losing that iconic look that iPhones have had in the past.

Just my opinion of course, not a statement of fact.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
With the power button on the side of the Nexus 5, and me accidentally clicking it on occasions, I truly don't wish for the same layout on the new iPhone, but if it has the same layout I think I can live with that.

I'm more interested in the software advances than the hardware at this point.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I disagree. I much prefer the lock button to be on the side like on my Moto X. I never have a problem of hitting the volume keys instead of the lock button.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind that Samsungs volume buttons are junky plastic and don't have much play so hitting them is easier. Hold your current iPhone like it has a side power button and apply pressure with your other finger on the volume button. You won't notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "Jiggle your hands"? I've never had to do that for any device except for the 4g Sidekick, because someone foolishly designed it.

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
With the power button on the side of the Nexus 5, and me accidentally clicking it on occasions, I truly don't wish for the same layout on the new iPhone, but if it has the same layout I think I can live with that.

I'm more interested in the software advances than the hardware at this point.

Try and reach the top of your Nexus 5, as if it had a top button ala iPhone 5s and it difficult, I don't accidentally hit my power button, but I gladly would if it meant it was easier to reach. the iPhone 6 form the leaks is as tall as the Nexus 5 so its a good test, I can't do it with my comfortable if it was ontop.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd also much rather the button placement on top, I've used so many devices with the same placement. It'll take to long to get accustomed imo.

Tapatalk'n On The 5s

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR