Will the 5.5" iPhone 6 replace your iPad?

MDMcAtee

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not fully vested in the ecosystem yet,but have a great start with my recently purchased 27" iMac.

I've been similarly wondering along the same lines.

Right now I have a Nokia 1520 and the wife has a 1020...both from ATT.

I'm not really happy with either even though the cameras are some of the best we have had.

Our one and only laptop is a older Toshiba running 8.1 and we have no tablet in the house.

I'm totally confused on what to do since I really don't know just how good the iPads are with a keyboard and if they could replace a aging laptop. Since mobility is hampered by the size and weight of the Toshiba I have been trying to formulate a upgrade path for our household, without breaking the bank if you know what I mean.

I've used a note II and now my 1520 as a excuse for not getting a new iPad but should I go with a 5.5" and a new laptop or get a iPad first then one...I've seen everyone's reasons,but all look to be already invested more than I am.

Thanks,and sorry for the hijack
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It is possible to use an iPad Air as a laptop replacement. I use the ZAGGKeys Cover for my iPad Air. It's a great cover that gives the iPad Air a laptop form factor. The keyboard can last up to 3 weeks on standby (though I usually charge mine weekly as I make liberal use of the backlight). There are many apps on OS X that do not have iOS equivalents that I would like to have but these are largely power user/hobbist apps, i.e. Basilisk II, an Apple 68k emulator that I use for running 90s Mac OS software. For these kinds of things I often wish I had a Macbook Air (and I will probably buy one in the next few months, I've really just been holding out for either a Mac Mini or Thunderbolt display refresh...both items I want more than the MBA lol!).

Outside of app selection, the biggest issue I have with my iPad is multitasking. I frequently have multiple windows open (web browsing, documents) and cycle between them. On a desktop OS (Windows, OS X, desktop Linux, etc.) this is very easy to do. On iOS it is less easy to do as you have to switch between open apps via the home key.

I find it most useful as a web browser replacement and for single document word processing. Between Safari and Pages (and a bunch of third party offerings) the iPad does this very well and if you are a casual user limited mostly to browsing, email, and office work, the iPad is probably 100% capable of replacing a laptop for you.

One of my favorite apps for iOS is called Screens VNC. It's kind of expensive at $20 but it offers a very good interface for remotely connecting to multiple computers. I use this when I am away from home to remote into my desktop Mac in order to use several of my more powerful desktop programs.

Last edited:

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I recently got an HTC M8 instead of waiting for the iPhone 6, but since I'm on T-Mobile's JUMP program I could still get the iPhone just a few months after release (just in time for Christmas, actually). I'm not sure if I'm going to do that, or sell my Nexus 7 and get an iPad. Whichever I decide, I do see an iOS device in my near future.

Ohleo

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The reason why I am choosing the 5.5 is because I don't want to spend money on an iPad. I would rather use the money to throw an SSD and new battery in my 2011 15" MBP. Breathe some new life into that bad boy.

The iPad Air is the most impressive tablet I have ever seen though. So if I can sell my 5s for 250 and robocopp a 5.5 64 GB for maybe 150 out of pocket on contract I will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The reason why I am choosing the 5.5 is because I don't want to spend money on an iPad. I would rather use the money to throw an SSD and new battery in my 2011 15" MBP. Breathe some new life into that bad boy.

The iPad Air is the most impressive tablet I have ever seen though. So if I can sell my 5s for 250 and robocopp a 5.5 64 GB for maybe 150 out of pocket on contract I will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I like that theory, and I would be the same. If I didn't have an iPad, I probably would just go with the 5.5" and save my money for something else.

Inkymycat

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the iPad 4 64 gig model. I have no plans to replace it any time soon. I will be using both even when I get around to buying the iphone 6.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Inkymycat

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I gave my laptop away recently as I found out I wasn't using it since I bought an iPad a few years ago. The last time I turned on my laptop was 3 years ago.

I decided not to upgrade to the iphone 6 but instead bought a used iPhone 5s for 1/4 the cost of a new unlocked iphone 6. I'm upgrading from iPhone 4s which in my option is extremely show on ios 7.1.

I still plan to use my ipad for all my ebook reading and others things even if I had the iphone 6 or 6+. I like the portability of the ipad over a laptop and the larger screen on the ipad as opposed to a iphone 6 or 6+.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine that for many, the 5.5 will do double duty - especially with the landscape mode. It's certainly blurring the lines between small tablet and large phone. If I didn't have an iPad mini and iPad Air, and didn't like having a small phone that is indeed a phone, and can be pocketed and used one handed, i'd consider a 5.5. As it stands I prefer to go small on the iPhone and also have a separate iPad.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I have the iPad Air and while I don't see the 6 plus replacing the iPad, I do think I won't have to carry it around with me as often. I'll still take my iPad on business trips, etc., and I will still use it in pretty much the same manner. The iPhone will just be more useful when I do't have my iPad with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2