Will the 5.5" iPhone 6 replace your iPad?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the following devices:

2010 13" MBP base model with 499 GB storage and 6 GB RAM

2013 iPad Air 128 GB WiFi and Cellular Verizon Wireless (Space Grey)

2013 iPhone 5s 64 GB Verizon Wireless (Space Grey)

If a 5.5" iPhone 6 comes out by November or December, I will most likely get it and maybe the iPad Air 2 with Touch I.D. That way I'd have Touch I.D. on both devices.

However, if I replace my MBP with a 15" MBPr 2.3 GHz Late 2013, then I'll keep my current iPhone and iPad or get the 5.5" iPhone 6 by trading in my iPad and iPhone to Apple or Verizon and pay the remaining balance (full retail price). If I replace my MBP with the late 2014 version, then I'll get either the 5.5" iPhone 6 or a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

The thing is, I don't use my iPad as much as I thought I would. It's my first iPad, and I use my iPhone far more than my iPad. The iPhone 4S was my first iPhone and smart phone. The 5 was my second and the 5s is my third.

I'd be happy with the 5.5" iPhone 6 128 GB Space Gray and a 15" MBPr, either a late 2013 or late 2014.

Is anyone else having this problem? If the Note 4 is better than the 5.5" iPhone 6 to me, after testing and reading and watching reviews online, then I'd get it.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
No, but only because I do not have an iPad. I have a Macbook Pro and the 5S, and having both of these, I don't find a need for a tablet. I have always been curious to understand what role exactly a tablet plays if a person has a phone and a laptop.

It would take an awful lot to get me back onto an android phone. Given that, I will be paying close attention to the 5.5". I think my decision will be made this way: If I can manage the 4.7" one handed without an issue, but cannot do the same with the 5.5", I will get the 4.7". However, if I cannot handle either device one-handed with ease, I will get the 5.5".

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the following devices:

2010 13" MBP base model with 499 GB storage and 6 GB RAM

2013 iPad Air 128 GB WiFi and Cellular Verizon Wireless (Space Grey)

2013 iPhone 5s 64 GB Verizon Wireless (Space Grey)

If a 5.5" iPhone 6 comes out by November or December, I will most likely get it and maybe the iPad Air 2 with Touch I.D. That way I'd have Touch I.D. on both devices.

However, if I replace my MBP with a 15" MBPr 2.3 GHz Late 2013, then I'll keep my current iPhone and iPad or get the 5.5" iPhone 6 by trading in my iPad and iPhone to Apple or Verizon and pay the remaining balance (full retail price). If I replace my MBP with the late 2014 version, then I'll get either the 5.5" iPhone 6 or a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

The thing is, I don't use my iPad as much as I thought I would. It's my first iPad, and I use my iPhone far more than my iPad. The iPhone 4S was my first iPhone and smart phone. The 5 was my second and the 5s is my third.

I'd be happy with the 5.5" iPhone 6 128 GB Space Gray and a 15" MBPr, either a late 2013 or late 2014.

Is anyone else having this problem? If the Note 4 is better than the 5.5" iPhone 6 to me, after testing and reading and watching reviews online, then I'd get it.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

Nope, because I do not have an iPad, I have a galaxy tab s. I like having and using both android and IOS, so I will continue with that. I also have a macbook pro for my computer

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
No, but only because I do not have an iPad. I have a Macbook Pro and the 5S, and having both of these, I don't find a need for a tablet. I have always been curious to understand what role exactly a tablet plays if a person has a phone and a laptop.

It would take an awful lot to get me back onto an android phone. Given that, I will be paying close attention to the 5.5". I think my decision will be made this way: If I can manage the 4.7" one handed without an issue, but cannot do the same with the 5.5", I will get the 4.7". However, if I cannot handle either device one-handed with ease, I will get the 5.5".

Personally for me a tablet is lighter, smaller, more portable than a computer so I use it for my web browsing, watching movies at home before going to bed, and also while on long trips instead of having to pull out my computer to do the same.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been thinking about this for me it will depend on how it feels to use if I am happy with it as a replacement for my ipad then great .. I won't use two devices anymore and maybe pick up a Mac book to use with my phone / tablet lol .. If that's the case my iPad Air will go to my daughter. As far as 4.7 or 5.5 it will be more about specs I've always have to have the fastest most powerful but that's just me. But my big problem will be will it fit in my pocket haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No. I will keep my iPad because I don't carry it with me all day every day.

However, a 5.5, which is what I think I'll be getting, will mean that I won't get the Note 4 and possibly also not the Lumia 1520 I'd been thinking of.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
No way: First because my phone is a Blackberry (yes, I'm a heretic, lol) and second because I just got my iPad Air today and it is my precioussssssss, damn it. ;)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a rMini & it won't replace it. I use my iPad a lot for travel so I don't have to run down my phone battery. I also use it for my spreadsheets since I don't walk around the hospital with my MBA. Heck I'm still trying to wrap my head around carrying a phone that huge, if the rumors are true. Its not practical for my lifestyle. This may be the first year I don't upgrade my phone & I'm pretty bummed about it:(

Arktos

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I can confidently say "no" to your question, OP. I have both a Note 2 and the iPad 2 right now and even with the amazing digitizer/sPen combo found on the Note, it still can't replace the iPad. I'm actually hoping that Apple doesn't go crazy large with the new iPhone.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I can confidently say "no" to your question, OP. I have both a Note 2 and the iPad 2 right now and even with the amazing digitizer/sPen combo found on the Note, it still can't replace the iPad. I'm actually hoping that Apple doesn't go crazy large with the new iPhone.

I agree.

I have a Galaxy Note 3 with a screen at 5.7" and an iPad 2. I still use the iPad over the Note if I need something with a larger screen and could not get to any of my desktops.

The Note is great for those moments when I don't have my iPad with me but to be honest, I would far prefer to have the 4.7" iPhone 6 and keep my iPad rather than go for the unwieldy 5.5" screened version of the new model.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No. I will keep my iPad because I don't carry it with me all day every day.

However, a 5.5, which is what I think I'll be getting, will mean that I won't get the Note 4 and possibly also not the Lumia 1520 I'd been thinking of.

Do give the 1520 a chance too, you will love the new improvements that are going into 8.1. I know I was smitten when I got my 1020, absolutely great device for photography. Oh yeah, you might want to get the 1520 if you are into photography. My friend who used it for a good week or so loved the camera on the 1520. Do consider.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Do give the 1520 a chance too, you will love the new improvements that are going into 8.1. I know I was smitten when I got my 1020, absolutely great device for photography. Oh yeah, you might want to get the 1520 if you are into photography. My friend who used it for a good week or so loved the camera on the 1520. Do consider.

I was considering the 1520 as well. The only thing really keeping me from pulling the trigger on WP is the video chat apps. I would definitely need Google Hangouts and that has not yet hit the WP marketplace yet.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was considering the 1520 as well. The only thing really keeping me from pulling the trigger on WP is the video chat apps. I would definitely need Google Hangouts and that has not yet hit the WP marketplace yet.

you have an iPad, yes? You could use that for hangouts...

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
you have an iPad, yes? You could use that for hangouts...

But I don't carry my iPad everywhere I go. I usually only use it at home and sometimes at my office. I do most of my video chatting when I'm on the go.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods