Would a 'premium' 5.5" version sway your decision at launch?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Rumors are flying. The latest state that the 5.5" version of the iphone 6 will be the only one to offer:
- sapphire crystal display
- optical image stabilization
- 128GB storage
- full 1080p

If the rumors hold true, making the 5.5" version a premium version vs the 4.7", would this sway you to purchase the larger model? If you are currently set on the 4.7" model, would this upset you knowing those features existed in the larger model but not the one in your pocket?

Just curious. Makes for decent discussion because I personally thought the only differentiator between the two models would be the size. And that may still end up the case.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think Apple is expecting the 4.7 inch display to far outsell the 5.5 version. Having said that, I can't see them making the 5.5 version the "premium" phone, although it's quite possible. I prefer to think that the 5.5 inch version would simply be a larger device while everything associated with it is on par with the 4.7 inch version. Would it sway my current decision to buy the 4.7 inch iPhone? It's possible, but I doubt it, and I'd have to see the actual device first...:)

Last edited:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
IMO the ideal situation would be the only difference being screen size...with the 5.5'' for people who enjoy the larger size. Although it doesn't matter to me to much because the 5.5'' is the phone I will be targeting. I'll not use anything but a phablet after my Note 3. I like the size to much.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If Apple does release a 4.7 inch and a 5.5 inch version I think the devices will be very similar. They will both be "premium" devices, the major difference being the size. I believe that Apple expects the 4.7 will outsell the 5.5. I would buy the 4.7 because a 5.5 phone is too large IMO.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's hard for me to believe Apple will make a phablet their Flagship phone. The 128 gb 5.5" model will be about $500 on contract. Full price most likely over $1,000. Most people will get the 4.7", regardless of the hardware differences.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It depends on how many things they keep adding to the list of differences. So far it's not that big of a deal.

If apple tweaks iOS to enable special features on just the 5.5" version then we start having a different animal. It starts being a pro version vs a regular iPhone.

I think there's many out there that don't want to feel like they're getting a mid tier device. They will find a way to suddenly justify a 5.5" screen.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I would entertain a 5.5" device but not at the overall size that current mock-ups have it at. I would be perfectly content with a 4.7" screen. BUT, if two things I have been wanting badly, OIS and 128GB storage, come to the 5.5" version and in turn not the 4.7" I will have a dilemma on my hands.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are flying. The latest state that the 5.5" version of the iphone 6 will be the only one to offer:
- sapphire crystal display
- optical image stabilization
- 128GB storage
- full 1080p

If the rumors hold true, making the 5.5" version a premium version vs the 4.7", would this sway you to purchase the larger model? If you are currently set on the 4.7" model, would this upset you knowing those features existed in the larger model but not the one in your pocket?

Just curious. Makes for decent discussion because I personally thought the only differentiator between the two models would be the size. And that may still end up the case.

Depends on pricing. If the 32gb is the same for both devices, I would probably go with the larger "premium" version. I do not really want a device that large due to the home button, but would consider it. Now I could see this as being a thing that really gets customers hot and bothered that apple is making users get a "huge" phone to have the best possible out there. I still find this hard to believe apple would do that, alienating a large number of customers who are already complaining that 4.7" is to large and they are going to miss out on features because they want a smaller screen. Will be interesting to see how apple handles this. Would be interesting if they did like they did with the iPad mini and iPad air with the specs being the same except for the screen size.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's hard for me to believe Apple will make a phablet their Flagship phone. The 128 gb 5.5" model will be about $500 on contract. Full price most likely over $1,000. Most people will get the 4.7", regardless of the hardware differences.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Well lots of rumors say they are dropping the 16gb model which I hope is true, and would be much welcomed, so if that happens the 128gb most likely would take the place of the 64gb pricing wise. It is time for apple to drop 16gb, it just doesn't cut it anymore.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I hope they do what they did with last year's iPads. The Air and the Mini with Retina have the exact same hardware specs, the only difference is size and price. I don't think Apple would leave all of those features out of the 4.7" and have them on the 5.5", except maybe the 128 GB storage option.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It wouldn't sway my decision if I was only looking for a 4.7. I still don't think this "premium" thing will happen. Same specs and different memory capacities with only decision having to be which size you want. Exactly like the iPad Air and iPad Mini with the $100 being the differentiator.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
After ownng a Note 3, the 5.5" iPhone is just too freaking big for me.

I'd be really annoyed if the 5.5" had premium internals over the 4.7"

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not swaying my decision. I want to get the 5.5 because that would mean I have both my iPhone AND my phablet both be my same device. I had wanted to get a Note 4 this year, so this iPhone 5.5 would be perfect for me - get my new iPhone and avoid spending money on a Note 4.

See? You have to SPEND money in order to SAVE money. I keep telling people that but they all look at me funny!!!!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would entertain a 5.5" device but not at the overall size that current mock-ups have it at. I would be perfectly content with a 4.7" screen. BUT, if two things I have been wanting badly, OIS and 128GB storage, come to the 5.5" version and in turn not the 4.7" I will have a dilemma on my hands.

EXACTLY this^^......Humm this would be a hard choice. I hope both devices will have "premium" specs.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'll be a little peeved as I've already got a device that's too huge for me. Now I'll be forced to get another if I want something with premium specs?

I guess it's a good thing that I chase what I like and not what's the best. I took a 5c over my 5s...

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I want a bigger screen either way I'm looking at that 5.5" version. I think the 4.7 will get everything expect the 128gb. They stick to the 16/32/64. The 5.5" will be the 32/64/128. Having had a nokia lumia 1520 for awhile I think I can handle the bigger iphone 6 lol. Plus it saves me from buying an ipad Mini R now to care with my 5s. September cannot come fast enough!!

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It would sway me to get the premium model! I like the features of the 5.5" other then the size. But I would have to see both and hand them for a while to make a decision. Apple should make both the same in terms of features. Otherwise; the smaller one will be looked down upon as the weaker model smartphone and if it is only $100 less base; I would go and get the higher price 5.5" if it offered the better high resolution screen, better camera, 128GB, etc...

liam-ward

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I am currently using an Lumia 1520 and the size is amazing. However I am looking at going back to an iPhone to sync with my Macbook with the IOS8/Yosemite updates. That being 5.5 is the only one I will touch.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
For me, I would be fine if it didn't have 128 GB of storage, or a Sapphire display, or OIS. What I do want is the same processor (A8) and the same internal specs as the 5.5".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR