Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Septembersrain#AC
  • 4 Post By Karenkcoulter
  • 1 Post By kataran
  • 1 Post By Karenkcoulter
  • 1 Post By Danny Olivo
  • 1 Post By Apple_iOS
  • 2 Post By Apple_iOS
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Preorders

The iPhone 5S was the first iPhone since I can remember that I was unable to preorder and have in hand on the release date. I thought it was unfair that Apple allowed preorders for the 5C and not the 5S, knowing that there would be a higher demand. Yes, I did place my order with T-Mobile the second it was released but my order didn't arrive until a month later. I had to scout different T-Mobile stores to get a variant I didn't want, kept it for a week and gave it back. I'm hoping that this doesn't happen again but I have a feeling come September I'll be disappointed again. Running a tech channel it's difficult to get a flagship device days later because it messes with views, which is the biggest issue of mine. For those of you who weren't able to get your 5S on release date, who usually preorder, did that bother you? Are you hoping that there will be preorders for the 6? I wonder if I'm the only person that this really affected. On top of it all, stores that did have them were lying and saying that they didn't. I don't want to run into this again.
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,395 Global Posts

Default Re: Preorders

I tried to preorder a different device once and didn't get it until after it had showed up in stores! It was in my local store a week before mine was received. I was positively livid.

I think if you preorder, they should fulfill these orders and have them to the customer ON release day.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!
    kataran and yukhalilsel like this.

Global Posts
    5,870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I just sat my **** in line at the Apple Store overnight to make sure I got it on release day.

I agree Lucia
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    yukhalilsel likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    The iPhone 5S was the first iPhone since I can remember that I was unable to preorder and have in hand on the release date. I thought it was unfair that Apple allowed preorders for the 5C and not the 5S, knowing that there would be a higher demand. Yes, I did place my order with T-Mobile the second it was released but my order didn't arrive until a month later. I had to scout different T-Mobile stores to get a variant I didn't want, kept it for a week and gave it back. I'm hoping that this doesn't happen again but I have a feeling come September I'll be disappointed again. Running a tech channel it's difficult to get a flagship device days later because it messes with views, which is the biggest issue of mine. For those of you who weren't able to get your 5S on release date, who usually preorder, did that bother you? Are you hoping that there will be preorders for the 6? I wonder if I'm the only person that this really affected. On top of it all, stores that did have them were lying and saying that they didn't. I don't want to run into this again.
    That's why I just wait and go in store on launch day. Never have had an issue getting their right when they open and getting a device. Preorder does not always get in your hands before it is available in store anyway.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,985 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I just sat my **** in line at the Apple Store overnight to make sure I got it on release day.
    Exactly.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Septembersrain#AC View Post
    I tried to preorder a different device once and didn't get it until after it had showed up in stores! It was in my local store a week before mine was received. I was positively livid.

I think if you preorder, they should fulfill these orders and have them to the customer ON release day.

I always had my iPhone to me on release day with preorders. Since they didn't do preorders we had to work with the backorders and ordering system.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    That's why I just wait and go in store on launch day. Never have had an issue getting their right when they open and getting a device.
    Unfortunately T-Mobile isn't the company for that. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint are most definitely going to have the iPhone but as I said it took a week to find it in stores; stores were even lying saying that they didn't have any in stock but they did.
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

I always had my iPhone to me on release day with preorders. Since they didn't do preorders we had to work with the backorders and ordering system.

Unfortunately T-Mobile isn't the company for that. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint are most definitely going to have the iPhone but as I said it took a week to find it in stores; stores were even lying saying that they didn't have any in stock but they did.
    Well that is TMO for you, but is a week really that bad? I mean if nothing else you could have always went to an apple store and most likely had more luck getting one.

Global Posts
    15,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I normally get mine a week or so after from My Carrier. shipped right to my work. Not because of delays. I was in no rush to get it right away.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

You think Apple will still unlock the new iphone 6 through iTunes if you paid full price upfront like they did for the 5S?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,464 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Same here. I don't think I could stand spending a lot of money for the phone and have to wait practically a week or so on sale day to receive my phone. I'd rather wait overnight and have it that morning.
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Preorders

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post
    You think Apple will still unlock the new iphone 6 through iTunes if you paid full price upfront like they did for the 5S?
    Yes, there is no carrier to lock it to when purchased outright.

I live in Atlanta so that'll be interesting. My fear is waiting all that time and not being able to get the color and size I want.

Global Posts
    5,870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I live in Atlanta so that'll be interesting. My fear is waiting all that time and not being able to get the color and size I want.
    I'm in the DC Metro area and we have lots of Apple Stores in the area. but i usually go to the one closest to me which gets at least 200 people in line. I've never had trouble getting what i wanted but i get in line by 11pm so I'm in the first 15 or so people.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    iMore Newbie

I still don't understand why they didn't have preorders last release. I waited in line at an apple store because I was afraid of not getting one day of release. This year , I can't do that so I hope they go back to preorders. Also, has anyone had an order mailed to an address other than your home or work ?
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

If they don't offer preorders, the only way to get it is to wait in line unfortunately
     iPad Mini with Retina Display-16 GB Wi-Fi Space Gray 
     iPod Touch 4th Generation-Black 8 GB 
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,395 Global Posts

I'll likely just wait a few months until the fiasco has passed. Then go look at them to decide what I want to do. I never buy anything newly released. Early adopters can deal with any issues while I collect data on it. Heh.

iMore Expert

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Septembersrain#AC View Post
    I'll likely just wait a few months until the fiasco has passed. Then go look at them to decide what I want to do. I never buy anything newly released. Early adopters can deal with any issues while I collect data on it. Heh.

Haha nice strategy
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

I've been thinking about preordering the iPhone 6, but I don't know how T-Mobile handles preorders on their weird payment plan system. I would like to get the phone the day of release...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furt View Post
    I've been thinking about preordering the iPhone 6, but I don't know how T-Mobile handles preorders on their weird payment plan system. I would like to get the phone the day of release...
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Because of the new deal Apple made with carriers, all of this upgrading hassle will be handled by them, so it'll be easier than ever before

I ordered my 5S online through Best Buy as soon as it launched (3am ET) & was able to pick it up once the store opened. Didn't have to stand in line all night & I got what I wanted. Hopefully I can do the same this year
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

I'm really hoping preordering is an option with this years iPhone. Standing in line isn't an option, and I don't want to wait too long to get it.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lima View Post
    I'm really hoping preordering is an option with this years iPhone. Standing in line isn't an option, and I don't want to wait too long to get it.
    I think it will be. They want to boost sales as soon as possible

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    " Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that , who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lima View Post
    I also hope there are pre-orders. That ought to cut down the amount of people waiting in line
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apple_iOS View Post
    I also hope there are pre-orders. That ought to cut down the amount of people waiting in line
    Well some people just don't mind! A few like it