Apple is too Predictable!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I must say if Apple does it right it won't be bad. I have a Moto X after having an iPhone 5, and the foot print is very similar. I can use the Moto X with one hand comfortably.

Sent from my Moto X...

I'm a woman that travels a lot & a phone that's too much larger than the current iPhone is just way too big for me. One handed operation really comes in handy while running through the airport.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe instead of a "me too" move, it's a "WOW! You guys really like the big screens? We'll do it just for you!" move.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Nah, I think it would be more of a scenario where Apple is looking to do it the RIGHT way...The way Samsung and the rest couldn't...

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I can agree with that based on what we've seen thus far. If, big if, the renders thus far are true, the 6 will simply be a larger 5S. Same bezel, same look, just bigger and thinner.
That to me is hardly reflective of waiting to do it the 'right' way. That's reflective of "hey, we told you that 4" is the perfect size and you aren't listening. Guess we'll offer you 4.7" to appease".
Curious, what is not right about Samsung's or the others' ways?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I'm just speaking from the perspective of how Apple would put its best foot forward on marketing the iPhone 6, from a Public Relations angle. I'm not saying if the actual way that Apple is going to be doing the new phone would live up to the hype...

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm a woman that travels a lot & a phone that's too much larger than the current iPhone is just way too big for me. One handed operation really comes in handy while running through the airport.

Thats the point i was making. The Moto X i almost all screen, that's how they get away with it. I hope Apple works on increasing the screen size but not the the actual phone by much. Right now the iPhone had a considerable amount of bezel that can be used for screen.

Sent from my Moto X...

prlundberg

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

On my Galaxy S5 a quick back and forth swipe from either side shrinks the screen down for one-handed mode. Works pretty slick.

I thought I'd never want a phone larger than 4.25". But now even the 4.7" Moto X feels too small to me. Right around 5" is the sweet spot for me today. The phablets are just too large.

I predict the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones will be huge hits and there will be no going back. Although, at that size, they really need to do something about that bezel. Not going to get away with the current porportions at 5.5".

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I do miss the "one more thing" moment and really being anxious of what the next product would be without looking at leaks. I do not like leaks it defeats the whole purpose for me to be excited in the next product. Boo.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the 4 inch option is perfect. I wouldn't mind 5 inches, but 6 is a bit much. You have to remember the purpose of a phone. If you can't put it up to your ear without looking silly, it isn't a useable phone. I like large phones, but only to a certain point. I think for most people the 4 inch screen is fine. It gets the job done well. You might need a larger screen if you read a lot on your phone, but otherwise there's not a huge reason. I watch a ton of media on my phone without problems. The screen size is perfect for me and what I do.

Even the note size phones aren't that big. Heck cordless phones are still big, I understand they are not as wide but phone sizes change throughout the years.

There really is no perfect size for everyone. A six inch phone might be a tablet to you, but clearly there is a big market for it. My mom barely knows how to use her phone, but she loves the huge screen of the Note 3. I personally like the size of the Moto X, there is no right answer.

zack morris phone.JPG

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If apple offered a 5" iphone and kept their 4" and 3.5" offerings I think that would be the better direciton. 4.7 doesn't go far enough and 5.5" is just joining the phablet market. 5" hits the sweet spot of phone sizes and the Galaxy S5 5.1 is a great phone to hold and use yet I feel Apple will take big hit from loyal users if they go big only this fall.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 4.5" screen Lumia 920 and it is really easy to use it with one hand. That's a great size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I am an Apple fanatic. Having said that, I was not a fan of the iPhone 5/5S. I felt the size jump from 3.5 inches to 4 inches was a lame attempt at trying to please everyone; Apple sadly argued it was easier to use with one hand and seemed like a half-hearted attempt to catch up to the market. With the rumors of Apple coming out with a 4.7 inch phone, I feel like Apple is again making another mistake and not exceeding the market expectations or surprising people. I have no intention of jumping to another platform, but I definitely get jealous when I see the bigger screen Android/Windows Phone's available.

I feel like the sweet spot for Apple should be 5.0 inches and maybe even 6.0 inches. I know these are not drastic differences from 4.7/5.5, but again I think from a marketing perspective as well as a usability perspective the bigger screen sizes would make a difference. Apple could "differentiate" the bigger phone with specific and unique software as opposed to simply enlarging the OS to fit a bigger screen, much like with what they did with the iPad. The Phablet market is established and I feel now is the time for Apple to come in and change expectations like with the iPad; it would definitely help in the Asian markets.

I also was hoping to see Apple come out with the bigger screen "phablet" in the Spring and maybe the 4.7 inch phone in the fall, this way Apple would have something fresh in the Spring that people can focus on as opposed to everything coming out in September/October. It seems like Apple is just way too predictable and seems to be playing the "me too" card as opposed to surprising some people with an announcement in the Spring or even at WWDC.

Not sure what the iMore community feels like, but I miss the phone releases at WWDC and the "and one more thing" moments!!

I don't understand why Apple has taken so long to produce an iPhone with a bigger screen. They should have two models with the same specs but different screen sizes. A smaller phone (4-4.7"), for people who want it and a (5-6") phone for people who want more display. They already do this with Macs and iPads.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I have to ask, "How big do we want/need a smartphone?" I think the likes of SGS5, HTC One M8, etc. are simply too large. Might as well get a tablet; plus, people are nosy. I notice all the time when someone is using a SGS5 or larger, people near by tend to view their screen and thus what they are doing. Nosy...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to ask, "How big do we want/need a smartphone?" I think the likes of SGS5, HTC One M8, etc. are simply too large. Might as well get a tablet; plus, people are nosy. I notice all the time when someone is using a SGS5 or larger, people near by tend to view their screen and thus what they are doing. Nosy...

Sorry you are wrong on that one. My work phone is an iPhone 4S and honestly its a joke to use. Try typing an email and it usually gets sent before I am done due to the poor screen size. Step up to an iPhone 5/5S and its still no better. Try a 4.7-5" phone and its much easier so if you want a little phone then stock up on old iPhones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro