How do you think the Competition might respond to iPhone 6?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Given the usual counter-programming competitors have towards Apple's offerings, especially the iPhone, how do you think the competition will react to a potential 4.5 - 5.5 inch smartphone killer in the iPhone 6? Will the Android market see a serious contender or will the LGs and Sonys of the world laugh it off?

Voice out here!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think they'll laugh it off because they feel Apple is late to the game. It'll also make the other manufacturers innovate even more now that Apple is finally giving a lot of people what they want as far as size...there's no reason for those folks to stay with Android or another OS. Consumers everywhere should be thrilled because it makes the world of smartphones much more interesting. I just hope the rumors are true and Apple gives us some choices.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I think companies will be a bit nervous if apple decides to go with the larger screen due to the fact that apples followers that have moved over to Samsung will slowly start moving back. But who knows

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think companies will be a bit nervous if apple decides to go with the larger screen due to the fact that apples followers that have moved over to Samsung will slowly start moving back. But who knows

Me for instance. I can't wait to replace my iphone 5 (defunct) and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (awful) with two iPhone 6; one for work and one for personal use.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Very poorly.
I don't expect many competitors to make it past 2015.
Nokia and Motorola are already done.
Htc and Blackberry are next.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think companies will still use low pricing as a differentiator but it's going to be much closer since now Apple has a phone that's the same size as the Android flagships. It's going to be an interesting late rush this year to try to counteract the release(s) of the new iPhones this year...

agalaria

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree but apple has to work a lot on OS as there are so many bugs. Still its better than android but expectations from apple is always crisp and clean OS.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't know that it will be a major thing for them. People don't just use other OSs for screen size, some genuinely like other experiences than the Apple one.

Last edited:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't know that it will be a major thing for them. People don't just use other OSs for screen size, some genuinely like other experiences than the Apple one.

But given the numbers of customer satisfaction for Apple's products, I think it's safe to say many who use Samsung's phones for the bigger sizes, but once used iPhones would be tempted to go back to the iPhone through the 6...

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
But given the numbers of customer satisfaction for Apple's products, I think it's safe to say many who use Samsung's phones for the bigger sizes, but once used iPhones would be tempted to go back to the iPhone through the 6...

One key thing is people generally don't like to change, for some users to come back to iOS, their current phone would have to do something bad. They might have left cause the Galaxy whatever had a bigger screen, but I don't think they will all go back now that the iPhone has a similar sized display, unless the Galaxy has something wrong.

This is off course my opinion, but I just believe most people are lazy, and dislike change, and the experience on galaxy devices (many alternative too the iPhone) are 'good enough' even if there not amazing/perfect. For most people good enough works.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Very poorly.
I don't expect many competitors to make it past 2015.
Nokia and Motorola are already done.
Htc and Blackberry are next.

I think BB is already done. Motorola may still surprise us with a crazily different design.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure Android manufacturers are just bracing themselves for the iPhone getting a bigger screen. If there is one executive on any of those boards that doesn't think a larger screen iPhone won't eat a chunk of their own sales, they're completely stupid. All these companies have things up their sleeves. It's always good for us consumers to see what everyone else has to offer whenever the new iPhone is announced.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure Android manufacturers are just bracing themselves for the iPhone getting a bigger screen. If there is one executive on any of those boards that doesn't think a larger screen iPhone won't eat a chunk of their own sales, they're completely stupid. All these companies have things up their sleeves. It's always good for us consumers to see what everyone else has to offer whenever the new iPhone is announced.

The iPhone 5/s/c took them out at the knees.
The iPhone 6 will end it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Plus Motorola is a godsend in the budget phone department...

The budget market is a race to the bottom, losing your most loyal fans along the way.
Just look at Nokia and blackberry.

If Motorola was at all profitable, google wouldn't have sold it to lenovo.

Unfortunately budget/elastic customers offer no loyalty to brands, only price.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
well, really it won't make a big impact what competitors such as Windows Phone/Nokia/HTC do. The only company that (unfortunately) has the power to maybe skew the iPhone perception a little is Samsung... and I'm sure we will get to see some very aggressive anti marketing. That's the one thing they can do, the other will be releasing something similar just before Apple do it, in the hope to 'dampen' iPhone6 sales figures. Aren't Samsung planning on releasing the S5 with a metal body? I believe that's what they'll do a few weeks before the iPhone6 keynote kicks off. Just like they did with WWDC and that ridiculous health event prior to it. Samsung are so darn fixated on Apple's success, they'll pull out the big guns this year and play it (even) more dirty than usual.
My prediction. ;)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Given Samsung's track record, they would be doing something to counteract the iPhone 6, but I'm not sure about a metallic S5, that would be way out of the usual Samsung range I think.

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
When the first iPhone came out, everyone wanted to be just like it--to be better than the iPhone.

Up until the iPhone 4/4s, in my opinion, was still the phone that was the "thing" with being ahead of it's competitors in every way. After iPhone 5, they tried to do things their own way but surprisingly people didn't respond with great awe. Then the galaxy phones became the next big "thing".

So with that said, I think every competitors are worried because of what the next iPhone could do on top of a larger screen size.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Given Samsung's track record, they would be doing something to counteract the iPhone 6, but I'm not sure about a metallic S5, that would be way out of the usual Samsung range I think.

Yeah I researched what I was referring to and it doesn't look like the S5 Prime will be what I thought it would. ;)
I'm still fairly sure though that the Prime will be announced in a third, separate event - just in time for iPhone6
(there's already two more events planned for May and June? bloody hell Samsung..)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I researched what I was referring to and it doesn't look like the S5 Prime will be what I thought it would. ;)
I'm still fairly sure though that the Prime will be announced in a third, separate event - just in time for iPhone6
(there's already two more events planned for May and June? bloody hell Samsung..)

I believe Samsung has events scheduled for the week before and for the week after WWDC.

They seem desperate.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods