Could an iPhone w/a 5.5" display interfere with the sale of the iPad Mini?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As stated in the title, if Apple were to create an iPhone with a 5.5" display like some have stated that it would, could it interfere with the sale of the iPad Mini?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
re: Could an iPhone w/a 5.5" display interfere with the sales of the iPad Mini?

I have a .5 display less now with my 5S and my mini retina and cannot possibly see how it could interfere in any way. I would buy a 5.5" display if it warranted it and I needed it but wound never put away my mini for it. There is way too much I could do with the mini and how some apps are optimized for iPad that never would come close to a 5.5" ...My opinion!

smelton3

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
re: Could an iPhone w/a 5.5" display interfere with the sales of the iPad Mini?

Never been a Mini owner, however an iPhone that large would have me seriously thinking if I need to continue purchasing both an iPhone and iPad. I could see myself being content with just an iPhone for more of the tasks I often use on the iPad.
My wallet will appreciate the savings, too.

Sent from my AT&T LTE iPad Air. White in color of course. Or my iPhone 5s. Gold of course.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: Could an iPhone w/a 5.5" display interfere with the sales of the iPad Mini?

I could see myself just using that iPhone much much more than my Mini and just ridding myself of the Mini I already have. If I was someone buying that iPhone having owned/not owned a Mini but solely using the phone, I could probably just live with that. This is, of course, very subjective to what people use their iPad Minis for. I've done a lot less in productivity on my Mini because of the purchase of a MacBook.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site

I think people with like my self a 5.5" device would be a good compliment for my iPad Air. Those who feel a 5.5" phone is to big for a phone the iPad mini could be a good send device for whatever they need it for. I think it will eat into the iPad mini sales but not like the iPad mini did the bigger iPad.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree a 5.5 might have to be my all in one vs having a ipad and a iPhone .. I would then make sure I had the biggest storage option they make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
As stated in the title, if Apple were to create an iPhone with a 5.5" display like some have stated that it would, could it interfere with the sale of the iPad Mini?

sounds plausible to me. From my perspective though it's the iPad Mini screen size interfering with the purchase of a 5.5" iPhone. I love the size of my Mini, and to me it's the ideal size a TABLET should have. Since I like to use my iPad whenever I can, I am not at all poised to add an iPhone to it that's almost as big. At home I would still grab the iPad for entertainment, and on the go I would be annoyed having to carry around a bloody TV in my pocket. ;)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't have the mini, but I have the 4 and I basically only put down to charge. Which is one reason I really don't have a need for a bigger screen.
But I can see it interfering with sales on the mini.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Which is why, I think, if Apple ever came out with an iPhone that big, they'd offer basically the same phone spec-wise with a smaller screen.

Are we on the same page? I believe if a bigger phone is offered it still won't affect the iPad mini sales much, because that market is for people who don't want to carry around a cookie sheet sized phone, but at the end of the day want something bigger for browsing, games, e-books ... ect ... ect ...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Are we on the same page? I believe if a bigger phone is offered it still won't affect the iPad mini sales much, because that market is for people who don't want to carry around a cookie sheet sized phone, but at the end of the day want something bigger for browsing, games, e-books ... ect ... ect ...

Yes, we are. I was being Devil's Advocate for why if a 5.5" iPhone was released that it wouldn't intefere with iPad Mini sales. Because an option for the same phone in a smaller size would be available.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes and Apple has a history of cannibalizing some of their products for the new ones. I love the company for that... historically, iPod sales have been affected by iPhones and iPad mini took some numbers off the iPad, but I suppose if the company does not risk that it will loose the market to someone else. Again, leave it up to Apple to destroy the market it has built.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I have a .5 display less now with my 5S and my mini retina and cannot possibly see how it could interfere in any way. I would buy a 5.5" display if it warranted it and I needed it but wound never put away my mini for it. There is way too much I could do with the mini and how some apps are optimized for iPad that never would come close to a 5.5" ...My opinion!

This is a great point....if the iPhone is in fact larger, will the OS be more ipad-like, or stay like the iphone. I how the os is optimized would push people one way or the other.