Big screen anyone?

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Guys as you all know within four months the next iPhone launch will be upon us and I am sure the next iPhone will be have at least 4.7 inches of diagonal length. Well I just wanted to know for how many of you it is potential deal breaker or deal clincher?
Personal opinion - I hate anything above 4.3 inches. Its the reason why instead of ordering a galaxy note I am ordering an iPhone 5s on Monday night and also the reason why i am not waiting for iPhone 6 and lets face it apple can never make a phone as compact as the Moto x with their premium design and also because of the iconic home button.
Seriously I am just irritated because the market is simply ignoring people who like compact screen sizes. The minis are underpowered except in case of z1 compact which had its own share of problems. And now iPhone is following suit. 4.3 inches was okay but 4.7 with huge bezel body of iPhone it is not permissible. And one handed use is not the only reason( I can infact use note 3 in one hand). This trend has smashes ethics by blurring lines between phones and tablets( has anyone seen xperia z2 and note 3, they almost appear as big as nexus 7, I know these devices are significantly smaller but still).

Well sorry for my rant, I would definitely like to know your opinions.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
How are you for sure the next iPhone will be 4.7in? What if they surprise us with 4.2-4.5in or something? Honestly: I'm fine with 4 inches, but if they did come out with a bigger one I wouldn't be angry. I'd just upgrade most likely (to stay with the top device).

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I've used massive phones before so it wouldn't really bother me. It's more of an annoyance to switch to a new size than anything else. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Its the reason why instead of ordering a galaxy note I am ordering an iPhone 5s on Monday night and also the reason why i am not waiting for iPhone 6 and lets face it apple can never make a phone as compact as the Moto x with their premium design and also because of the iconic home button.

Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I'll address your thought about Apple's ability or inability to make a phone as compact as the Moto X.

I think they can, and if one-handed use is still a primary design criteria, they will find a way.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I'll address your thought about Apple's ability or inability to make a phone as compact as the Moto X.

I think they can, and if one-handed use is still a primary design criteria, they will find a way.

Since I don't switch manufacturers due to the next "big thing" my benchmark for the iPhone 6 would be the 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have no interest in a larger screen. But I am sure I will upgrade anyway for new features.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Guys as you all know within four months the next iPhone launch will be upon us and I am sure the next iPhone will be have at least 4.7 inches of diagonal length. Well I just wanted to know for how many of you it is potential deal breaker or deal clincher?
Personal opinion - I hate anything above 4.3 inches. Its the reason why instead of ordering a galaxy note I am ordering an iPhone 5s on Monday night and also the reason why i am not waiting for iPhone 6 and lets face it apple can never make a phone as compact as the Moto x with their premium design and also because of the iconic home button.
Seriously I am just irritated because the market is simply ignoring people who like compact screen sizes. The minis are underpowered except in case of z1 compact which had its own share of problems. And now iPhone is following suit. 4.3 inches was okay but 4.7 with huge bezel body of iPhone it is not permissible. And one handed use is not the only reason( I can infact use note 3 in one hand). This trend has smashes ethics by blurring lines between phones and tablets( has anyone seen xperia z2 and note 3, they almost appear as big as nexus 7, I know these devices are significantly smaller but still).

Well sorry for my rant, I would definitely like to know your opinions.

You say you hate anything over 4.3 yet compare the iPhone to the note. 1. don't "hate" something until you try it. Remember how many people swore up and down that 3.5" was perfect and they would "hate" the larger screen on the 5/5s and now love it? You may feel that larger screens are not useful, until you use one and then you're like "wow how did I make it so long with a smaller screen" You also may hate it like you said, but wait until it is actually unveiled because look at the moto x, that is a 4.7" device which is not much larger than the 4" iPhone 5s.

Not to mention if apple widened the 5s, many would not complain. I think the fact that they just stretched the iPhone 4s is why people complain. I would be 100% ok if they just made the screen wider as well, yet kept the 4" size. Since they most likely won't do that, I am ok with the rumored 4.7", even the 5.5" depending on what they do with it.

jaywill27

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I had a galaxy for two weeks to try! But was happy when I went back to my iPhone! I use the phone for work and I am on the for average 2 hrs and after awhile my hands were hurting from holding the phone to my ear! Happy with the iPhone 5s don't need a bigger screen if I want I can use an ipad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The small 4" screen size is the main reason I jumped off the iPhone ship,,, love my iPad Air and Mini,,,, but for a phone I won't come back to iPhone until they get rid of their "one size fits all mentality".

For those that are ok with a 4" screen cool,,, I'm not at all,,,, if Apple starts offering bigger sized screens as options with the iPhone 6 then perhaps I will return to iPhone.

A 4" screen these days is not what most people are happy with and the proof can be had by a simple look at the sales of all other phones with bigger than 4" displays.

I'm very happy with my Galaxy S5 and it 5.1 display,,,,, Apple needs to play some serious catch up with screen sizes or Android is going to continue to overtake Apples phone sales as they are doing right now.

Cheers
Davyo

In Flames

May 7, 2014
Visit site
one of the reasons I love iPhones in todays market is due to its smaller compact size, and the ability to use it with one hand. I wouldn't mind if it got a bit bigger, but I wouldn't like to see it go Galaxy size.

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are in the minority and Phil Schiller and Apple also feel you are as well (see the Apple slides in the Samsung trial). The bottom line is that almost every hardware vendor on the planet offers a bigger phone. Also, keep in mind the market in the US is saturated so the iPhone 6 is directed not at you, but Asian buyers who demand a bigger phone. The reality is that for Apple to grow their marketshare in Asia they need a bigger phone.

For me, the smaller phone is embarrassing and harder to use. I type with two thumbs (I was a Blackberry user) and the 5/5S is simply too skinny and small to type comfortably. I also find the bigger screen real estate a huge advantage for browsing the web and for applications. The bottom line is that people arguing for a smaller phone are missing the market big time; much like when people initially complained about having to type on glass when the iPhone first came out. You can either adapt or be forced to adapt. Or you can still rock a Palm Treo from circa 2005 and be happy.

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
one of the reasons I love iPhones in todays market is due to its smaller compact size, and the ability to use it with one hand. I wouldn't mind if it got a bit bigger, but I wouldn't like to see it go Galaxy size.

Be prepared to be disappointed. All indications are that Apple will have a 4.7 inch screen which is nearly the same size as the Galaxy S3 and if the rumors are true, Apple may have a 5.5 inch phablet as well. Personally, it is long overdue. If I wanted a cute little phone, I would have kept my 4S but I am way ready for a bigger screen

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I personally want a bigger iPhone. I love how portable my 5c is but it's just too small. Give me a 4.7 inch screen don't make the bezels huge and they could have a winner. Look at the moto x it's about the size of the phone with a much larger screen.

In Flames

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Be prepared to be disappointed. All indications are that Apple will have a 4.7 inch screen which is nearly the same size as the Galaxy S3 and if the rumors are true, Apple may have a 5.5 inch phablet as well. Personally, it is long overdue. If I wanted a cute little phone, I would have kept my 4S but I am way ready for a bigger screen

Oh yeah they probably will get bigger wouldn't surprise me. I could handle a bit bigger but not phablet sized that's just too much for me. Might purchase a few more 5s's if they only came out with a huge phone to last me over the years lol

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73