The iPhone 6 icon layout

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If Apple indeed introduce a larger size iPhone, how do you expect the icons to be arranged on the home screens? 4 columns and 5 rows (excluding the dock) like it is now or something else?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I hope either four or five columns and six rows. I also hope they don't just increase the size of the app icons by scaling up the screen they have already. A 1080P screen with icons the same size as they are now would be perfect I think.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
On my HTC and Note 3 I use a launcher called Nova Prime. This allows me to set the size of the icon grid on the home page to whatever size I want from 2 x 2 up to 10 x 10.

I hope the next iteration of the iPhone includes something like this. Like Kataran, I prefer a tight grouping of icons too but realise and appreciate others may not. Having the option to set the grid size individually would appease a lot of people I think.

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I kind of like how google went for bigger icons on the Nexus 5 instead of using the space to pack more in, I really dig them. I think 4x5 grid is enough for the most part, it still keeps things simple and clean, and with the bigger iPhone 6 we could just get slightly bigger icons.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather see smaller icons. Why do they need to be big? They hide too much of the wallpapers many love to use. Make them smaller with 5 across in a row with 6 rows, including the dock.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I kind of like how google went for bigger icons on the Nexus 5 instead of using the space to pack more in, I really dig them. I think 4x5 grid is enough for the most part, it still keeps things simple and clean, and with the bigger iPhone 6 we could just get slightly bigger icons.

When I hear about bigger phones with bigger icons, all i can think of it this:

V2778-laugh-and-learn-smilin-smart-phone-d-2.jpg

If I wanted bigger icons, I would have a Windows Phone with their ridiculously large icons sizes.

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
When I hear about bigger phones with bigger icons, all i can think of it this:

Snip

If I wanted bigger icons, I would have a Windows Phone with their ridiculously large icons sizes.

There isn't going to be a huge amount of space to include an extra row, so keeping it 4 icons across makes sense, sense we have more space I think its a bit silly to just increase the gutter, icons being slightly bigger could give more space to developers, stand out a bit more.

Windows use tiles, only the smallest tile size is an icon of which you can fit 8 in a row now I believe on 8.1.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Too me that looks lame on the larger phone. I think the app icons are gonna get enlarged proportionate to the screen size. The small icons on that large of a screen looks dumb to me. But I sure hope they dont go that big on the new iPhone 6..

I understand your point of view completely but I totally disagree with you. I think that larger icons look lame. It would remind me of the big buttons on a My-First-Telephone Fisher Price kids toy.

I do agree that they will probably increase the icon sizes a bit if the screen goes larger and I hope to hell that they don't enlarge them to keep the icon arrangement of the current 4" screen on a 5.7" screen (if there is one, of course). I would much rather have five columns and six rows, like the middle picture.

However, what would be really great is if Apple built into the OS the option to change the column and row sizes ourselves. Not even the stock launchers on most Android phones incorporate that; you have to use an after-market launcher, like Nova Prime, to configure the row/column sizes.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I understand your point of view completely but I totally disagree with you. I think that larger icons look lame. It would remind me of the big buttons on a My-First-Telephone Fisher Price kids toy.

I do agree that they will probably increase the icon sizes a bit if the screen goes larger and I hope to hell that they don't enlarge them to keep the icon arrangement of the current 4" screen on a 5.7" screen (if there is one, of course). I would much rather have five columns and six rows, like the middle picture.

However, what would be really great is if Apple built into the OS the option to change the column and row sizes ourselves. Not even the stock launchers on most Android phones incorporate that; you have to use an after-market launcher, like Nova Prime, to configure the row/column sizes.

I'm not a fan of large icons, I just think what is shown seems a bit out of proportion to me. But that's probably because I'm just used to my 4s.. :)

I think 5 across would look much better than 6. But I realize there are those that prefer smaller icons... to each his own I guess..

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just hate it when the icons hide most of the wallpaper. It's like in order to see your wallpaper, you gotta jailbreak.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The layout on that third one would be perfect for me. Not into widgets and all that. Just gimme my icons nice and spread out for me to easily get to something. And the only thing better than a five icon dock is a six icon dock.