iPhone 6, could we see front and back glass again?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 6 should be a new design in keeping with Apple's traditions. Now that everyone is talking about the possibility of using Sapphire in the screen. It got me wondering if they would try a glass back and screen again. I've seen videos of heavy cinder blocks pulled around on a phone with a Sapphire case and it didn't make a scratch. Now considering that was just a case imagine Apple's engineering. Would an iPhone 6 with front and back Sapphire/Glass be something people would want? or would it remind them of the iPhone 4?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 6 should be a new design in keeping with Apple's traditions. Now that everyone is talking about the possibility of using Sapphire in the screen. It got me wondering if they would try a glass back and screen again. I've seen videos of heavy cinder blocks pulled around on a phone with a Sapphire case and it didn't make a scratch. Now considering that was just a case imagine Apple's engineering. Would an iPhone 6 with front and back Sapphire/Glass be something people would want? or would it remind them of the iPhone 4?

Honestly, you never know what apple has up their sleeve.. in my opinion I like the aluminum back, and aluminum bezel because it feels very premium compared to glass. What I can see happening is apple using glass as the bezel so they can incorporate touch control for volume buttons and lock button so there will be no more physical buttons. apple needs something new and cutting edge and that's what I can see them doing. But who knows

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think they are going to go more towards the design language that the iPad uses. The glass, if larger screen rumors pan out, would make it once again easy to break and just be a pain. I think apple is going to stay away from it like they did with the 5/5s. Plus the rumors of liquid metal would/could play a key part in no longer needing different pieces for the back, and could make a unibody design.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

This is the one thing apple needs to bring back that I miss.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I would like it if they returned to the glass front and back like the iPhone 4. Aluminum is for beer cans.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mobile Nations mobile app

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
All I know is i would love for apple to make memory expandable. Off topic but just getting it out there

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it's possible, but if using Sapphire, I think it would be more Gorilla Glass with Sapphire than anything. It really doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Even though I would welcome the design of a front and glass iPhone 6 (similiar to 4/4s), but I dont think it will happen again.....to many phone casualties

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't matter to me as long as it looks professional, elegant, not phablet size, and continues to serve my smartphone needs…:)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I personally like the glass front and back. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I personally like the glass front and back. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

All depends on what design they go with for me. If they keep the same look I'll take aluminum. If they switch it up into something way different id have to see it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
All I know is i would love for apple to make memory expandable. Off topic but just getting it out there.

Dear god no. I'm having so many issue with my Note 3's expandable memory, I do not want that on an iPhone. Apple would have to contend with idiots blaming the manufacturer for their phone not working with the low-budget POS memory card they bought and all sorts of other compatibility issues. I hope Apple never go down this route.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Dear god no. I'm having so many issue with my Note 3's expandable memory, I do not want that on an iPhone. Apple would have to contend with idiots blaming the manufacturer for their phone not working with the low-budget POS memory card they bought and all sorts of other compatibility issues. I hope Apple never go down this route.

Yeah exactly why Google moved away from it with their Nexus devices but some OEMs are still doing it because so many Android users still whine when it's not included.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

farb12

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see plastic like the 5c. I like the round corners. Oh and some normal colors. Not a can of rise pastels.

Sent from my XT1060 using iMore Forums mobile app

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't care either way I know there are some people who loved the front and back glass while others love the aluminum. I liked both so if they did do it I'd like it if they chose not to then I wouldn't be heart broken either. If they did do it I would only accept it with the Sapphire mix but I think that is the only way they would do it anyway.

svfd757

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about this today. My daughter has an iPhone 4 (she's getting a new one soon, I promise) and I really like the look of it better than I do mine. I kinda miss the weight of the iPhone 4/4s and think the the 5 is almost too light.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the back on the 5/5s more than I did the glass on the 4/4s; but if it's a sturdy glass that won't crack then maybe I could deal.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for replying late to this, but I think having glass on both sides would be bad, just because they crack easily...

I would want to see a safer and yet more premium aluminium on the back, and they proved they can do it with snazzy colors like Gold. To me, if it is a success why stop doing it? Keep coming up with these sexy aluminium backs, Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen