iPhone 6, could we see front and back glass again?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for replying late to this, but I think having glass on both sides would be bad, just because they crack easily...

I would want to see a safer and yet more premium aluminium on the back, and they proved they can do it with snazzy colors like Gold. To me, if it is a success why stop doing it? Keep coming up with these sexy aluminium backs, Apple.

I agree with this.

I feel that another reason is that Apple never takes a step backwards. Now it has chosen an Aluminium backing for the device, the chances are they won't go back to using glass, irrespective of what that glass is made of. Your average punter won't know the difference between the glass types and manufacturers of the previous glass-backed model and the new glass-backed model with regards to Corning vs Sapphire and so to them it will look like a step back.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this.

I feel that another reason is that Apple never takes a step backwards. Now it has chosen an Aluminium backing for the device, the chances are they won't go back to using glass, irrespective of what that glass is made of. Your average punter won't know the difference between the glass types and manufacturers of the previous glass-backed model and the new glass-backed model with regards to Corning vs Sapphire and so to them it will look like a step back.

You hit it on the nail right there. But there was this one curious case where Apple went back to plastic for the 5C, so I wouldn't count out anything at this point.

But I highly doubt they would abandon their now quite successful aluminum 'concoctions' so far.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You hit it on the nail right there. But there was this one curious case where Apple went back to plastic for the 5C, so I wouldn't count out anything at this point.

But I highly doubt they would abandon their now quite successful aluminum 'concoctions' so far.

Good point, but the 5C has been a bit of a damp squib in comparisons to the 5S. If they did go for a plastic backed device I can only see it as being in addition to, not instead of an aluminium backed one (he said hopefully).

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

5c wasn't really a step backwards. It's still a unibody construction that evolved from the iPhone 5 metal case. There is also a steel skeleton underneath. That's pretty much a forward-facing design.

I agree that it's highly unlikely that Apple would return to a glass back. It just doesn't make sense. It worked for when Apple wanted to ditch plastic but wasn't ready to offer a compelling aluminum substitute. For me it felt like a transitional design choice. And Apple feels right at home with aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for replying late to this, but I think having glass on both sides would be bad, just because they crack easily...

I would want to see a safer and yet more premium aluminium on the back, and they proved they can do it with snazzy colors like Gold. To me, if it is a success why stop doing it? Keep coming up with these sexy aluminium backs, Apple.

If you used an aluminum phone during a Canadian winter you will want a phone with the glass back of the 4/4S. My 5S feels cold when I use it to make a phone call in the car compared to my 4S.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

MarkDallton

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I hope its not glass front and back again, I remember dropping that bad boy when I was changing my music one day. Didn't even need to look at the back to know it was smashed to bits, one little slip out of the hand was all it took and it didn't matter if it landed on the front or the back it was going to smash.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73