Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    3,162 Global Posts

Default iPhone 6 Features

​I know, I know, getting a little ahead of myself here. But if you could dream up your next version of the iPhone, what features would you like to see on-board? Perhaps you'd like to see some larger screen sizes? More color options? And the specs, what would you like to see bumped up? Or perhaps there are some things you'd like to see removed altogether?

Sound off, get crazy… what do you think?
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Default Re: iPhone 6 Features

flux capacitor
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    3,162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    flux capacitor
    ​Now you're talking. Everyone knows, the flux capacitor is what makes time travel possible.
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    BLiNK likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I wouldn't mind a bigger screen .. I think more ram would be nice and I'm sure by then a A8 chip but most of all I would like to see it a complete redesign minimizing the empty space on the front and making it more screen edge to edge NFC would be nice if retailers adopted it also

As far as features In ios 8 failed unlock would snap a pic and upload to iCloud and or send to a third party number that you choose via iCloud . Com
    I know they make apps like this but apple would make it flawless.

I also would like more customization like 5th icon dock and landscape mode on home screen.
    Approved widgets would be nice also in the notification center like FB status update etc.
    volsfan0911 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,779 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm ok with the 4" screen. A little larger screen would be ok, maybe 4.5" or 4.7". Of course, an A8 chip and more customization. Keep notification center and control center.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Everything above, plus a dedicated front facing Notification LED
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,767 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

A built in dog whistle so we could torment our pets.

Ultrasound with on screen display so we could watch our stomach acids disintegrate food.

Some sort of hypnotizing app so I can spend even more time staring at my phone.

And a bigger screen.
    Wut?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    I'm ok with the 4" screen. A little larger screen would be ok, maybe 4.5" or 4.7". Of course, an A8 chip and more customization. Keep notification center and control center.
    Same here. The screen size is comfortable to me. I could see a 4.5 in screen, that wouldn't be so bad. If the screen was edge to edge, I don't think I would be mad either.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    Oh yeah, a LED light would be a nice little feature as well. I don't see them putting it on, but it would be nice. I do miss that one little feature from my old blackberry.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

4.5" 720p display with very accurate color representation.
    Twice as fast as the 5S, whatever it takes to do that.
    maybe 2gb of RAM, if necessary
    More work with coprocessors.
    Same, or slightly better battery life than the 5S.
    Better camera than the 5S.
    Stereo speakers
    iOS 8, with maybe some more gesture-based navigation like BB OS 10.
    Cue, either replaces or supplements Siri, as a touch-free super-assistant. Like the Moto X/GoogleNow, but done right.
    available in 32, 64, and 128gb capacity
    maybe a low energy light-up Apple logo on the back, like the Macbook, and it can pulse as a notification light.

That's about it. Maybe wireless charging... but No NFC. No expandable memory. No widgets. No huge 5+" display.
    Chris Cook5 likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Def Think A Dedicated LED Notification Is Called For... 4.5-4.7 Screen Would B Nice... But May I Dare Say Apple Create A Device With A Physical Keyboard... Not Going To Lie Miss It... I Know It Wont Happen... Just Saying I Know They Can Create A Nice Device W/A Physical Keyboard To Add To The Line Up... Apple Can Do Anything & Would Love 2 C That Some Day...

Sent From The State Of Ohio...
    iMore Newbie

I agree. I've always wanted a front LED notification light. Really!
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    1,822 Global Posts

I think they're at their wits of trying something new and doing things that they would've said no to.

Whether that be a wider screen or even as simple as an IR remote like the S4. Things like this is what they're starting to invest in and the fingerprint scanner shows that.

I hope nothing but the best for Apple but I'm afraid they're hitting their plateau in the years to come. I mean, they've provided a pretty damn nice phone to the market along with seamless connecting to their OS.

I mean, a 1.21 gigawatts lighting port is still up for grabs.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,669 Global Posts

Hopefully it has a wider screen!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kristopherlarry View Post
    Def Think A Dedicated LED Notification Is Called For... 4.5-4.7 Screen Would B Nice... But May I Dare Say Apple Create A Device With A Physical Keyboard... Not Going To Lie Miss It... I Know It Wont Happen... Just Saying I Know They Can Create A Nice Device W/A Physical Keyboard To Add To The Line Up... Apple Can Do Anything & Would Love 2 C That Some Day...

Sent From The State Of Ohio...
    Would a BB Q10 + iOS 7 work? Assuming porting iOS to BB hardware is feasible, Apple likely has the cash to buy BB and get their Enterprise Management portfolio, patents, and talent...
    iMore Elite

My guess for the iPhone 6:

Two screen options
    4.6" 720p & 5.6" 1080p

Processor
    Quad-core 64-bit A8

Ram
    2 GB

GPU
    128-bit
    OpenGL 4.0 support
    Quad or octa core configuration

Storage
    32, 64, 128 or 64, 128, 256

Cellular connectivity
    LTE-A

Battery
    High compactly 3000 mAh

Overall size increase

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acerace113 View Post
    My guess for the iPhone 6:

Two screen options
    4.6" 720p & 5.6" 1080p

Processor
    Quad-core 64-bit A8

Ram
    2 GB

GPU
    128-bit
    OpenGL 4.0 support
    Quad or octa core configuration

Storage
    32, 64, 128 or 64, 128, 256

Cellular connectivity
    LTE-A

Battery
    High compactly 3000 mAh

Overall size increase

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    A lot of this stuff is what an Android manufacturer would do. I don't think Apple will go quad core until staying dual core becomes a handicap... and as the 1.3GHz dual core A7 is proving, dual core is still very relevant when the OS is efficient. Same with battery size. The iPhones have been using 1400-1500mAh batteries since forever. The power efficiency of the new 64-bit A7 is giving the 5S battery life I've never experienced from an iOS device before. Even with the power draw of a bigger screen, I don't think the iPhone 6 will need 3000mAh. I'd guess 2100. Maybe slightly bigger. But not 3000.

I also don't see Apple going 1080p. The human eye can't really distinguish between 720p and 1080p on a 5" display that is at most, an arms length from your face. It's yet again, an example of Android manufacturers marketing on specs and "bigger is better" ideology instead of what works best in the real world. Plus,if Apple were ever going to go 1080p, it would not be immediate. A 720p display would be an improvement over the current Retina display, which would give Apple the ability to jump to 1080p at a later time... perhaps for the iPhone 6S, or maybe even push it off until the iPhone 7, if ever at all.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    Well, that didn’t take long...

I would like to see better battery life - even at the expense of an iPhone that is a bit thicker/heavier. And for those who really do want a notification LED, why not do the Apple logo mod on the back of the phone?

Perhaps more RAM and a faster processor... have to keep bumping those specs...

The rest of the stuff I’d like to see are sofware/iOS stuff - landscape home screen, freeflowing icon placement, etc...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Dog5000 likes this.
    iMore Elite

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    A lot of this stuff is what an Android manufacturer would do. I don't think Apple will go quad core until staying dual core becomes a handicap... and as the 1.3GHz dual core A7 is proving, dual core is still very relevant when the OS is efficient. Same with battery size. The iPhones have been using 1400-1500mAh batteries since forever. The power efficiency of the new 64-bit A7 is giving the 5S battery life I've never experienced from an iOS device before. Even with the power draw of a bigger screen, I don't think the iPhone 6 will need 3000mAh. I'd guess 2100. Maybe slightly bigger. But not 3000.

I also don't see Apple going 1080p. The human eye can't really distinguish between 720p and 1080p on a 5" display that is at most, an arms length from your face. It's yet again, an example of Android manufacturers marketing on specs and "bigger is better" ideology instead of what works best in the real world. Plus,if Apple were ever going to go 1080p, it would not be immediate. A 720p display would be an improvement over the current Retina display, which would give Apple the ability to jump to 1080p at a later time... perhaps for the iPhone 6S, or maybe even push it off until the iPhone 7, if ever at all.
    Apple keeps pushing there iphone as the #1 mobile gaming device and in order to stay there they need to switch to quad core processors. You would be surprised how much more battery you need for a 4.6" 720p screen to match the current battery life of the 5S. A bigger battery would complement the faster processor, more ram and bigger screen. I do agree that a 720p screen makes more sense for 4.6" screen but for anything larger than 5" screen, 720p is lower than 300 ppi so 1080p makes sense so Apple can retain their 300 ppi claim for their retina display on the iPhone if they launch a 5.6" iPhone 6.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Apple keeps pushing there iphone as the #1 mobile gaming device and in order to stay there they need to switch to quad core processors.
    Why does Apple need quad core processing? The current iPhone, and recent iPads, all game very well... with dual core. The current iPhone 5S with its little 1.3GHz dual core decimates its quad core multi-gb RAM competition in benchmarks... Again, when Apple feels they need to go quad core, they will... but a 64-bit dual core is more than capable of running games... and the future of 64-bit processing on iPhones has yet to be written. Apple's standard for new device releases, Twice as fast as last years, I think can be accomplished in the iPhone 6 without the need to go quad core.

You would be surprised how much more battery you need for a 4.6" 720p screen to match the current battery life of the 5S. A bigger battery would complement the faster processor, more ram and bigger screen.
    I am surprised at how much battery Android devices require for a lot of things. Bigger screens being one of them. But seeing as there hasn't been an iPhone with a larger screen yet, we don't know how much extra battery a 4.5" or 4.6" or 5" 720p display will need compared to the 4" Retina on the current iPhone. Apple could introduce a new screen design other than the traditional IPS LCD, perhaps the rumored IGZO display technology from Chimei Innolux, that achieves the larger size and increased resolution, while reducing the amount of power needed to run it.

We don't know. All we know is, Apple's track record would indicate that they won't simply fall in line with the manufacturing practices of their competition. Going 64-bit, instead of quad-core with excessive clock speeds, is hard evidence of that. Apple will zig when everyone else is expecting them to zag...
    iMore Elite

Why does Apple need quad core processing? The current iPhone, and recent iPads, all game very well... with dual core. The current iPhone 5S with its little 1.3GHz dual core decimates its quad core multi-gb RAM competition in benchmarks... Again, when Apple feels they need to go quad core, they will... but a 64-bit dual core is more than capable of running games... and the future of 64-bit processing on iPhones has yet to be written. Apple's standard for new device releases, Twice as fast as last years, I think can be accomplished in the iPhone 6 without the need to go quad core.

I am surprised at how much battery Android devices require for a lot of things. Bigger screens being one of them. But seeing as there hasn't been an iPhone with a larger screen yet, we don't know how much extra battery a 4.5" or 4.6" or 5" 720p display will need compared to the 4" Retina on the current iPhone. Apple could introduce a new screen design other than the traditional IPS LCD, perhaps the rumored IGZO display technology from Chimei Innolux, that achieves the larger size and increased resolution, while reducing the amount of power needed to run it.

We don't know. All we know is, Apple's track record would indicate that they won't simply fall in line with the manufacturing practices of their competition. Going 64-bit, instead of quad-core with excessive clock speeds, is hard evidence of that. Apple will zig when everyone else is expecting them to zag...
    Apple needs to go all out with the iPhone 6. The "android market" is running out of ideas and features which will give google time to optimize their android os which is bad for Apple's iOS. This is the right time for Apple to intimidate them with powerful hardware and better thought out iOS features and they can do that with the iPhone 6. The only way apple can put a dent in android is if they compete in the spec wars, it shouldn't be that way but it's true. But Apple should at least make one iphone with a dual core for those that use it for work and one iPhone with a quad core for those that want to use it for gaming.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    790 Global Posts

4.8 igzo display edge to edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Apple needs to go all out with the iPhone 6. The "android market" is running out of ideas and features which will give google time to optimize their android os which is bad for Apple's iOS.
    Google has already had years to optimize Android. It will never be truly optimized as long as it has to work on a handful of completely different platforms from different manufacturers. Fragmentation. This will always be Apple and iOS's strength... and it will always be Android's weakness.

This is the right time for Apple to intimidate them with powerful hardware and better thought out iOS features and they can do that with the iPhone 6.
    Apple doesn't need to intimidate anyone. Especially in the ridiculous "spec war" that Android people seem to think is so important. They literally just proved that by releasing a 4" screened 1.3GHz dual core device with 1gb of RAM that not only outperforms nearly everything on the market, but also sold more units over a weekend than the might Galaxy S4, with all its inches and cores and specs, could sell in a month.

The only way apple can put a dent in android is if they compete in the spec wars, it shouldn't be that way but it's true.
    They likewise don't need to put a dent in Android's market share. Android has picked up massive market share because as an OS, it can be found on multiple manufacturers and everything from flagship phones and tablets and netbooks, to $100 tablets and chinese phones. Compared manufacturer to manufacturer, the iPhone smashes Android handsets one-on-one in sales figures... and despite Apple's "loss" of market share, their annual revenue is as strong as ever. All this means is, the market is growing... and predominantly at the bottom end of the spectrum in developing markets/poorer countries, where Apple never intended to sell a lot of devices anyway.

The main people yelling about loss of market share are Wall Street types who could care less what is being sold, only that the loss of market share equates to lost opportunity to rally the stock price.

But Apple should at least make one iphone with a dual core for those that use it for work and one iPhone with a quad core for those that want to use it for gaming.
    and as I've already stated, the new dual core iPhone and current gen iPads work perfectly well for gaming. Why would Apple need to make a quad core device specifically for gamers when their dual core devices already do it so well?
    Thanked by:
    tekjunkie28 (10-10-2013)
    tekjunkie28 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    790 Global Posts

Google has already had years to optimize Android. It will never be truly optimized as long as it has to work on a handful of completely different platforms from different manufacturers. Fragmentation. This will always be Apple and iOS's strength... and it will always be Android's weakness.

Apple doesn't need to intimidate anyone. Especially in the ridiculous "spec war" that Android people seem to think is so important. They literally just proved that by releasing a 4" screened 1.3GHz dual core device with 1gb of RAM that not only outperforms nearly everything on the market, but also sold more units over a weekend than the might Galaxy S4, with all its inches and cores and specs, could sell in a month.

They likewise don't need to put a dent in Android's market share. Android has picked up massive market share because as an OS, it can be found on multiple manufacturers and everything from flagship phones and tablets and netbooks, to $100 tablets and chinese phones. Compared manufacturer to manufacturer, the iPhone smashes Android handsets one-on-one in sales figures... and despite Apple's "loss" of market share, their annual revenue is as strong as ever. All this means is, the market is growing... and predominantly at the bottom end of the spectrum in developing markets/poorer countries, where Apple never intended to sell a lot of devices anyway.

The main people yelling about loss of market share are Wall Street types who could care less what is being sold, only that the loss of market share equates to lost opportunity to rally the stock price.

and as I've already stated, the new dual core iPhone and current gen iPads work perfectly well for gaming. Why would Apple need to make a quad core device specifically for gamers when their dual core devices already do it so well?
    This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
    iMore Elite

Default iPhone 6 Features

Android is trying to blend all their services into one OS, that is their ultimate goal (and Microsoft's also).

I agree the "spec war" is ridiculous but google has managed to make people believe that specs are important and that's why Apple needs to come out with a quad core to shut those android fan boys up.

Everyone keeps comparing the iPhone to "android phones" as a whole. The low to mid cost phone market is why android has a large market share and is which is something Apple needs to figure out fast and the only way to do that is to have a better "spec'd" phone compared to their lower cost phone or no one will buy their low cost iPhone.

No argument there, Wall Street people only want to make money and have a huge market share.

A quad core would help bring true physics to games and allow bigger worlds and a lot better AI.

Last edited by acerace113; 10-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast