Diagnosing hardware faults, can I get some help?

I

iMore Question

Diagnosing hardware faults

So my wife got her iphone 6 plus wet. When i open it i can see there was a short onto the metal plate on the back of the display (small burn mark) most likely from the battery but possibly also the charging port.

I dried it completely and when i plug in the charger or attempt to turn it on it is unresponsive. Obviously some of the hardware is damaged and needs to be replaced.

My question: Is there some kind of guide i can use to diagnose what parts are faulty.

I have carried out simple repairs on iphones before (replacing screens, etc) so the replacement of parts is easy enough but my knowledge of electronics is minimal. I have basic tools and a multimeter (although the points on the battery seem way too small to be able to isolate them).

Would really appreciate any help.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you have board level damage then there are no components you can replace.
Parts you can replace would be like the display, battery, data connector, headset jack, cameras, stuff like that.
BUT if you have actually damaged something on the main board then those components are designed to be replaced. Also there is a good chance if it left a burn mark there may be other placed damaged that you dont see. There had to have been a pretty serious short for it to actually cause a burn mark. Which means some higher then normal current went thru there.
I would replace it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative