Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

1 Posts

Default Error 53 and replacing the screen on my 6plus

so I cracked the screen on my 6 plus a while ago but ive been hesitant to get it fixed because 1. its expensive as hell and 2. apparently if you go to outside sources for repairs theres a chance you get this error 53 when updating your phone that completely bricks your phone. so my question is how common is this error and will i get it from just replacing my screen or am i misreading something?
    iMore Intermediate

229 Posts

Default Re: Error 53 and replacing the screen on my 6 Plus, how can I fix this?

You should only get error 53 IF your home button is damaged (cable) or its completely replaced and you try to reset your device.
    The error stems from the main board and the finger print reader in the home button. They are paired together via hardware due to the fact that the fingerprint reader is encrypted. So if the hardware fails or doesnt match up the encryptoin is invalid and thus the error 53.
    We have done hundreds of repairs on 5s, 6, 6 plus and it happens about 2% of the time for us. Even with that number some of them are due to people messing with the phones prior to us getting them.
    chances are that if your device only has an issue with a broken glass or screen your not likely to get the error if its taken to a quality repair shop.
    If its taken to a smaller hole in the wall shop chances go up it could be damaged, and if you try to fix it your self and have no experience that to me would see the greatest risk.
    You can also take it to an apple store. They offer repair of damaged phones. So you do have plenty of options available.