Getting out of Googles Shadow

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
So being on android since the original Moto Droid, I'm made the jump to iOS and and really enjoying it.
I've been thinking of using googles services less and less moved to using Evernote instead of Google Keep, Dropbox instead of Drive and wanted some input from others who have used iOS longer.
Apple photos vs Google Photos is the biggest question to me since I take a lot of pictures.
Or should I just stick to where my stuff is and enjoy Apples incredible hardware?
Any input would be great. Thank you

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have permanently given up on both Android and Google.
I don't miss it one bit, I even use DuckDuckGo instead of Google for searches.
My pics are on my devices and in iCloud.
I use Evernote, IOS stock Notes app, Dropbox, Pages, stock email, I have absolutely zero need nor desire for Google anything.
And that's how I like it. :D

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I use Evernote, IOS stock Notes app, Dropbox, Pages, stock email, I have absolutely zero need nor desire for Google anything.

Thank you for the input :)

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
So being on android since the original Moto Droid, I'm made the jump to iOS and and really enjoying it.
I've been thinking of using googles services less and less moved to using Evernote instead of Google Keep, Dropbox instead of Drive and wanted some input from others who have used iOS longer.
Apple photos vs Google Photos is the biggest question to me since I take a lot of pictures.
Or should I just stick to where my stuff is and enjoy Apples incredible hardware?

You should do whatever you want to do.

A very good alternative to Google Drive and Photos is OneDrive.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I use the stock email with my @me email address. I still use my gmail also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I guess I like to be different. I like Google Drive for posting images that I need to share privately or publicly. Use it very limited but find it handy. I do not use Google or Apple's software for managing or editing my photos. Absolutely detest both software's, but that is only me. I do all my editing with Photoshop, Alienskin Software and OnOne Perfect Photo Suite. As for managing and cataloging my photo's, I actually have my own color & date coded file system along with Adobe Bridge.

There are many good alternatives out there that are far better than Google Photo or Apple Photos. Lightroom being one for example.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use a few Google services. I have 4 Gmail accounts, Maps, YouTube along with Capture, and Google Translate. I still use Google as my search engine in Safari because it's the best. I use Box, which I like better than Dropbox and OneDrive. I use those too. The stock Notes app works for me as well as the stock Mail app. I use Super Calendar.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

What is your reasoning?

I pretty much own nothing but Apple hardware but I continue to use Google services without a problem.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I like using Google services. Google Maps are my go to for Navigation. I use Google Drive,Photos,Docs,Sheets. If it does a task well I'll use it.

turbodave38

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
About the only Google service I still use is Google Maps. It actually works better on my iPhone than it ever did on my Android phones. I don't use it for nav because I have other systems for that. But Google map's real time traffic display cannot be beat!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I agree with what some others have said here, but if you like their services, continue to use them. The only thing that doesn't work is Keep. But the new Notes app in iOS 9 will basically have the same, if not more, functionality. I use Evernote for work notes, and Keep for personal stuff. But I'll be switching to the Notes app once iOS 9 is live. I also use Docs, Sheets, Drive, and Photos. I like that they're generally easy to use, the iOS apps are also great, and I can access stuff from anywhere, which is what I like. But if some of these other options appeal to you, then go for it. But there really isn't any real reason to just outright ditch Google apps just because you're on iOS now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This is basically me, but I do use its search function via Safari on occasion. In regard to photos, I use both iCloud and Microsoft's OneDrive. I use iCloud for temporary pics and OneDrive as a more permanent photo storage solution.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I still use Google services but have dropped it a lot since moving back to iPhone. I still use Google photos, drive, Google as my search on my phone ( I use Bing on my iPad), Gmail, translate, Google Music, YouTube and Google maps. I don't particularly like the privacy issues they have but their maps is the best imo with their subway maps and etc even using Apple maps on iOS 9 beta

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You can't use an iCloud address as your Apple ID, anyways. So creating extra accounts for redundant services simply to "get away form Google/Microsoft/Yahoo/whomever" is not really sound logic. Unless you have some non-FUD, serious reasons for doing so I don't see the point.

The fact that someone else wants to spread their information across the data centers of 3-5 different companies doesn't mean you should, either.

In any case, Apple's services (and in some cases, their software) aren't really strong as a package. The strength is the integration across all of their platforms and how well their devices integrate with each other.

iCloud is simply not all that attractive if you also use Windows, Linux or other OSes along with your iPhone or Mac, or use other Mobile devices running other Operating Systems (Windows, Android, FireOS, Blackberry, etc.).

If you're all in on Apple, then go with iCloud and iTunes. The services on their own aren't the strongest, but the usability benefits through integration and interoperability make up for a lot of that. If not, then... it's not like you can use your iCloud Address as your Apple ID, anyways... Pick the company whose services you like most and use that as your Apple ID, so that you can leverage their superior services.

Google and Microsoft both have stronger services packages than Apple. Yahoo! has perhaps the better Photo/Video Sync Service but they have some pretty massive gaps in their services ecosystem (like no Cloud Storage, which make you create another account elsewhere, or use (and likely pay) for more iCloud Storage.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is basically me, but I do use its search function via Safari on occasion. In regard to photos, I use both iCloud and Microsoft's OneDrive. I use iCloud for temporary pics and OneDrive as a more permanent photo storage solution.

Same here, I use iCloud as a cache for photos for just wirelessly synching the stuff to my PC. After they're in my iPhoto Library I delete them from iCloud Photo Library. I don't even use the Photos app. It's kind of terrible. Maybe in 3-5 years it will be what they want it to be, since they only seem to want to upgrade it when OS X gets its yearly upgrade.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

I love evernote! The only issue I have come across has been it asking to reconfirm my email address multiple times. Dropbox is still a pleasure to use. I haven't used Google Photos enough on my Note 5 to really say anything about it yet. However if you have a mac then you should definitely go for Apple Photos as they have great synergy.

Also note, Google's software on iOS is much more behaved so any issues you might have now might not transfer over. However with that said, using third party equivalents is best as people jump back and forth between the platforms imo

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711