From iPhone 6+ to iPhone 6s? Why?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I've been totally on the fence, but am planning at this point to upgrade from my iPhone 6 to the iPhone 6s+ simply because I'm curious about added screen real estate and better reading of email and browsing.

I am concerned, however, with how much more bulky the device will be carried in the pocket of my business dress slacks, and general use.

I'd like to hear from those here who have had the iPhone 6+ for the last year, and are planning to upgrade...but to the smaller iPhone 6s this time. Please tell me why you are going to the smaller device, and if the 6+ was a hinderance.

I'm open to hearing all the pros and cons of rocking the 6+.

Thanks! :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Kind of hard to have a comparative discussion about a product that has been out for a year and a product we still know nothing about. My advice would be to wait until Sept. 9th so you actually have some details to form a logical decision on...

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Kind of hard to have a comparative discussion about a product that has been out for a year and a product we still know nothing about. My advice would be to wait until Sept. 9th so you actually have some details to form a logical decision on...

Point taken...but overall size, and usability will not change. I'm not talking so much about processor speeds, fluidity of OS, battery life, camera performance or any of that. I'm more talking about overall usability of the 6+ vs. the 6. In fact, I am specifically wanting responses from those that have owned the iPhone 6+ for the past year or so, and that are wanting to make a change down to the smaller device.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
We know that the 6 Plus was given several superior specs; being screen resolution, OIS, and battery. In addition, viewing should almost always be better on a larger screen. So given all of that, I would have to assume that if a person moves from the 6 Plus to the 6, or is planning on moving from the 6 Plus to the 6S, it is because they found the size of the found to be a hindrance. I cannot think of another reason they would unless they were looking to save $100.

If they found the size to be a hindrance, it would either be that the phone didn't fit in their pocket(s), that it was difficult or impossible to use one-handed, or it was just awkward to use. In the end it is like anything else, you are going to need to go to the store and hold both phones or find a way to borrow a plus. Even that may only help you so much as many have stated it took them a week to two weeks to adjust.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you are on the fence, I think you will still find yourself on the fence regardless of who answers with what. Everyone's needs, expectations, wants, views, pocket sizes, hand sizes, etc will differ in some way to yours. Find a way to test drive the plus and go from there. I don't think any crowd sourced affirmation can help this decision short of using the phone yourself.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Point taken...but overall size, and usability will not change. I'm not talking so much about processor speeds, fluidity of OS, battery life, camera performance or any of that. I'm more talking about overall usability of the 6+ vs. the 6. In fact, I am specifically wanting responses from those that have owned the iPhone 6+ for the past year or so, and that are wanting to make a change down to the smaller device.

That's all fine and good, but I responded to the actual words you posted in your first post.

To reflect what you just wrote, I'm one who has said if they fill the smaller device with the same features as the + variant, I'll definitely go with the smaller device. I don't care for the larger screen personally, and would enjoy the smaller screen more I feel. That said, I put more value in the feature set, so if the larger screen iPhone is the more feature rich variant again, I'll go with the larger screen again, even if I don't really like it.

In the end, we have no idea what Apple is going to release on the 9th...again, I'd say just wait and see what is shown.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have had a 6+ since launch. I am on the fence about moving down to the 6s when it arrives. Its not that the phone doesn't fit in my pockets, or that I cant use it one handed. But like a poster above me said, its becoming a hindrance on my day to day activities. I have recently started going back to college full time after an almost 4 year break from it. Take that, with a kid, family, gym and busy schedule on top of everything I miss the "easy" one hand-ability of the 5s-6 series. However, I am the one in the family to always have the latest and greatest. That being said, if the next + iteration has superior specs compared to its little brother I will stay with the plus version.

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
It definitely takes some getting use to. I had a note 4 before coming back to iOS with the iPhone 6 and recently went to a 6+ and if I was not use to handling larger android devices I would say the 6+ would be a bit much. The ease of one handed use definitely had me planning on going to the 6s when it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cderrick14

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I have similar concerns as the OP, I would like a 6s+ but the size could be overly cumbersome at times. I would be moving from a 5s, so I think I would just keep the 5s and use it as a phone I can pop my sim into if I want a smaller phone for the evening. That might be a good alternative for some people.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

All articles I read say the s and the regular six physical aspects r pretty much all same, so physical appearance point of view could compare

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on any iPhone other than the 6 Plus is unacceptable. Also the small screen resolution, and not putting OIS in its camera. A lot of people are on the 6 Plus because it has battery life fit for a flagship, while the iPhone 6 nosedives under decent usage during the day due to the undersized battery they put in it.

I don't understand how Samsung can design a phone as thin as an iPhone with a ton more sensors and stuff in it, and still have room for a battery that is 30-40% bigger than Apple's, yet Apple can't seem to do it. 1800mAh battery is what phones in 2011 were packing. They need to do better there. Those battery sizes only perform well when your phone spends the vast majority of its time sitting around with the screen off/sleeping.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The 6+ was not able to fit in my pocket while riding my bike but other than that it was totally manageable. I consider myself to have medium hands and just could barely one handed use it but the double tap to home screen worked incredibly well.

The best part of the added size is more battery imo :) Also, multitasking features COULD be implemented on a plus sized device depending on how much ram it has. The 6+ had trouble with reloading apps because of the memory. I would say go play with the 6+ again as the size will most likely not change( "s" series usually have the same size as the previous generation)

Good luck! :)

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
That's all fine and good, but I responded to the actual words you posted in your first post.

To reflect what you just wrote, I'm one who has said if they fill the smaller device with the same features as the + variant, I'll definitely go with the smaller device. I don't care for the larger screen personally, and would enjoy the smaller screen more I feel. That said, I put more value in the feature set, so if the larger screen iPhone is the more feature rich variant again, I'll go with the larger screen again, even if I don't really like it.

In the end, we have no idea what Apple is going to release on the 9th...again, I'd say just wait and see what is shown.

I think we have a pretty good idea what apple is going to launch on the 9th, no?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Guess I wear huge pants or something. Read all these cant fit in my pocket posts. I had mine in defender when first got it. That was like end of line for cases returned it cus well it fit but man it was tight snug fit.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Guess I wear huge pants or something. Read all these cant fit in my pocket posts. I had mine in defender when first got it. That was like end of line for cases returned it cus well it fit but man it was tight snug fit.

I think the vast majority of that is exaggeration. I'm 5'4" and certainly don't wear baggy pants, and I'm a petite guy. I have no issues putting the iPhone 6 Plus into any of my pockets, and my jeans are less than "relaxed" fit. Can always put it in a back pocket. Some people know how not to sit on their phones.

Never had an issue with the Note 3 that I had before the 6 Plus, either.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I recently sold my 6+ to have money for the 6s+. I'm using a 5s while I wait. I am really appreciating the one handed use. It's making me think about which model I really want. I loved the 6+ though. I'll wait and see what features are different and then decide. It would be hard to give up the 5.5 inch screen at this point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
All articles I read say the s and the regular six physical aspects r pretty much all same, so physical appearance point of view could compare

Until the 9th, we have no idea what Apple is bringing to the table. Could be identical...could be totally different. There is zero proof out there at all because Apple hasn't released any information to people who would divulge such.

I think we have a pretty good idea what apple is going to launch on the 9th, no?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Again, until the 9th, we don't have a good idea it's going to be anything...we have conjecture, assumptions from companies that like to jump on cases before release and rumors on websites/blogs/forums...period.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234