New 6+ user due to work

CeeeKhay

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a new user of a iPhone 6+
I was an android user primarily when it comes to phones because of the size of my hands.
However since Defcon/BlackHats conference a few weeks ago our security admin has decided to error on the cautious side and not allow android devices to be allowed access to our network, since we have data which is rightfully considered sensitive and android is susceptible to many security hacks and vulnerabilities. I was offered a iPhone 5c from my work however since my hands are XXL it's not very reasonable to work off the device.

So here I am on a iPhone 6+, my note 4 is gifted to my dad....

I have seen the bend gate stuff. I don't know what to expect from the 6+
I haven't bent any phone before or cracked a screen etc..
I have been using big phones since they were available for purchase.
I have many apple products ( iMacs, iPads, MBP, Mac mini's, airports, iPods) currently, but this is my first phone.

TBH the bending issue is worrying. I have always used a case and screen protector. I have read a bunch of threads where the user is at fault for the phone bending. I have apple care on it as well. I have never bent any of the Note series phones and I have had them all 1-4

I have my phone either in my bag or in my jacket pocket. Was the bend issue with the first batch of devices or is it something that has continued to be an issue?? Also, I am not an apple brasher or an android fanatic... I use everything, PS4, XBOX ONE etc...

Since I had to purchase the device on my own. I am just trying to gauge how to best take of my device. I am considering the mophie hip holster as a good way to keep the phone as safe a possible ..

Anyone have any other suggestions please don't hesitate to reply.

Thanks in advance

CeeeKhay

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi Keith

I have never done that with any one I have ever owned. If it's really that simple and I am pretty easy on my devices, hopefully it is just common sense.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...bendgate was over blown by people who are negligent with their phone but didn't want to accept responsibility for bending their own phone. Apple's customer service tries to retain a top tier level of consumer satisfaction, so they just replaced them for people without getting into it (this tends to be their M.O. when it comes to service, even when the consumer is clearly the person who caused the issue or damage).

I've had my 6+ since release day...I'm not overly careful at all with it, and it hasn't bent even slightly. Bendgate was a bunch of horse excrement.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, Bendgate was blown out of proportion and was a buzzword. I have yet to ever bend a phone period and I put my phone, also a 6+, in my front pocket all the time, even without a case. Never had an issue.

Welcome to iMore. Seems you already know the ecosystem but we're always here to help with any issues or questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knighty2112

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Had my 6+ for 10 months now. Started off for the first 6 months with a really good UAG rouge wallet case because of any potentially bending that might occur, but for the last 4 months I have used only a light JTEC case that covers just the back and sides of the phone, with no rigidity to stop any bending unlike me the UAG case which would take a tank to bend it I think. So far not a millimetre or anything out of shape, so unless you accidentally sit on it I think it will be OK, unless you are prone to accidents with your phone, which thankfully I am not.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I bought my 6+ on release day 11 months ago. I haven't treated it any different than any other device I have owned. I throw it in my front pocket and it has been fine. I'm just careful with it, if I feel pressure on it in my pocket while sitting I pull it out. It's just common sense and applies to putting anything in your pocket.

So I wouldn't worry about bending, mine is still completely straight. As everyone else has noted, don't abuse it (sit on it, purposely bend it) and you'll have no problem.

People tend to make issues where none exist out of Apple products. It's fun to kick around the big guy and try to find fault in their products. However just like all of the other so called "gates" they tend to be blown out of proportion by a few people looking for their 15 mins of fame. Don't worry about it, take care of your phone like you would any other $1000 electronic device and you'll be fine.

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to lie, my phone is bending slightly. Bought new in March. I put my phones in my back pocket (including my previous notes) - never bent. Currently using a Tech 21 case. Verizon said error on my part and wouldnt be under warranty unless I paid $199. I've recently bent it back to shape and put a commuter case on and I'm fine now.

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Bendgate is severely blown out of proportion.

I have had the iPhone 6 Plus since day one and it has been fine.

Stupid me dropped it in the toilet a few months back, but it's been fine...that's what I thought.

I wanted to blame 8.4.1 update, but thankfully the recall for the 6 Plus camera came out so I went to the store to replace just the camera.

I did mention about my toilet drop and they saw it was water damaged so rather than just replacing the camera, I might as well use my Apple Care and pay the deductible for a brand new phone.

I've been using this Versus case Amazon.com: iPhone 6/6S Plus Case, Verus [Thor][Electric Blue] - [Heavy Duty][Maximum Drop Protection][Slim Fit] - For Apple iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6S Plus 5.5" Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories for the majority of this phone and I have had about 6 other makes and models of cases and I just absolutely love the usability and durability. I really hate the iPhone 6 design. It is not hand friendly.

I did notice that the power button wasn't working so well with the case on my old phone after some time and with this brand new 6 Plus...it seems slimmer.

There MIGHT have been some bend on the previous phone and this phone is perfect fit to the case. It no longer feels bulky.

Was there some bend to the phone? Maybe because this case has been around for 10 months or so.

Will it be a problem?

I don't think so. Get a proper case, don't drop it in a toilet, and you will be fine.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No, they said at that time there had been 6 reported. Not experienced. But that was way back in October.

It was actually 9...and was the only official statement from Apple on the subject because "bendgate" was not a legitimate issue related to anything outside of hand full of entitled, negligent owners. The % of people who claim their iPhone bent under normal usage habits is so tiny, there was never any reason for another statement from them on it...they just handled those cases in store.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner