How can I read emails declared as unread?

Cogiter Ekloo

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Read emails declared as unread

I have been using my 6 plus since December 2014 and loving it, however there is this one annoying issue that keeps occurring with emails that I receive. Specifically whenever I receive a new email and open it, the mail program alerts me to the arrival of a new email. When I exit the email i'm reading and I go back to the main mail window to see what the new email is, I find that there is actually no new email; instead the email app basically re-selects the email I just opened as being a new even though it has already been opened. The only way I can make it declare the email as having been read already, is to either open the email again or exit the app entirely and then open it. Its not a deal breaker but it is very annoying when I'm waiting for an important email and it keeps declaring opened emails as new emails. Does anyone have any ideas on whats happening ?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Read emails declared as unread

I have been using my 6 plus since December 2014 and loving it, however there is this one annoying issue that keeps occurring with emails that I receive. Specifically whenever I receive a new email and open it, the mail program alerts me to the arrival of a new email. When I exit the email i'm reading and I go back to the main mail window to see what the new email is, I find that there is actually no new email; instead the email app basically re-selects the email I just opened as being a new even though it has already been opened. The only way I can make it declare the email as having been read already, is to either open the email again or exit the app entirely and then open it. Its not a deal breaker but it is very annoying when I'm waiting for an important email and it keeps declaring opened emails as new emails. Does anyone have any ideas on whats happening ?

I have had this problem with GMail in the past and with Yahoo mail more recently. I am on 9 latest beta and it is much better but does happen occasionally. Once when it happened, i opened yahoo mail in the browser to see if it was read or unread. It was unread. Then I refreshed mail inbox (by pulling down from top) and it went to read both on phone and in browser. My assumption is that the action 'mark as unread' is delayed on the phone. Manually refreshing my inbox forced it to sync the pending action. As I mentioned it is happening much less in latest beta in 9. So keep getting OS updates and it should improve some soon.

Cheers.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Happens consistently for me. When I exit the app after I've declared the messages as read, it just takes a few seconds for the badge on the Mail icon to go away.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Happens consistently for me. When I exit the app after I've declared the messages as read, it just takes a few seconds for the badge on the Mail icon to go away.

Likewise. I assume it has to do with the lag between the mail on the phone and updating the state of the mail (read/unread) on the server.