Tips for fixing up scratches on the metal ring around iPhone 6 camera?

Akira Takamedo

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The black iPhone 6 uses a darker shade of metal around he protruding camera, so if it scratches you can really see the marks since they're bright silver. One day I noticed a giant blotch of silver on the rim.

It's purely cosmetic even though I have no clue how it got there. The camera's fine. I went to Apple to see if it could be replaced without replacing the entire phone, but they couldn't. I don't want to replace the whole thing, but I'm also not confident enough to take it apart and do it myself.

So the guy suggested jewelry polish. I could see that. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to re-darken the ring again? I know I can just let it be and it's 'character', but it does bug the **** out of me that my fianc? and friends with the same phone that bang it around and even store displays have no scratches on their camera ring, while I try to be as careful as possible with a case and somehow have a large looking one on the $950 phone I recently bought.

Also, is it aluminum or stainless steel? That would help knowing too.

Here's an image to show what I'm talking about. Sorry for the horrible quality, it's an iPad camera, but hopefully people can see what I mean:

IMG_0011.JPG

Akira Takamedo

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I understand it's a silly issue, but when you shell out nearly a grand for a phone these kinds of small issues can bug some people, especially when you always keep it in a case and try to be as careful as possible.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand it's a silly issue, but when you shell out nearly a grand for a phone these kinds of small issues can bug some people, especially when you always keep it in a case and try to be as careful as possible.

Being that you do not want to 'replace the whole thing', I agree with the jewelry polish recommendation.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Nearly a grand? I have the 1228GB iPhone 6 Plus :) I am leasing mine from Sprint so that's around $840 over 24 months but still the phone is $949. When you add in taxes the phone I have is over $1,000.

It's on the back so who really going to see it. I currently have a scratch doing sideways on my right of the screen which I haven't noticed in a long time now. One of those scratches on the coating

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's possible it has or has been rubbing against something in your pocket or something. Trying to polish that ring is inviting disaster in my opinion. The glass may get scratched in the process. If that rings function is to protect the glass then it's doing its job. I'm not even sure if that's the function of the lens ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Man, don't start trying to clean that with anything. You run a risk of screwing up the outer lens even if it is sapphire.

I'd just leave it as is. Then again, I mostly don't care about scuffs and scratches on my phones as long as they're not on the screen.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It's possible it has or has been rubbing against something in your pocket or something. Trying to polish that ring is inviting disaster in my opinion. The glass may get scratched in the process. If that rings function is to protect the glass then it's doing its job. I'm not even sure if that's the function of the lens ring.

The glass is Sapphire...would it get scratched? That YouTube guy which I forgot his name atm had some Sapphire glass that was supposedly going to be on the 6 and basically did a lot of stuff to it and the worse thing I need the glass was his fingerprints

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The glass is Sapphire...would it get scratched? That YouTube guy which I forgot his name atm had some Sapphire glass that was supposedly going to be on the 6 and basically did a lot of stuff to it and the worse thing I need the glass was his fingerprints

With the right kind of chemical or pressure anything can scratch.
If a polishing agent comes in contact with the lens it could possibly fog it permanently. Like what happens from time to time from oils from the skin or simple moisture that can be wiped off.
The OP can do whatever they want. I wouldn't chance causing more damage.

Akira Takamedo

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm just going to let it alone. I realize it's such a stupid problem, I just hate dropping so much money and having stupid little cosmetic things bother me like that.

Besides, I have T-Mobile, and if the 6S/+ ends up being a Band 12 phone I'm probably going to switch to it. I miss the S-cycle anyway.

Again, sorry for such a stupid question, I was just genuinely curious if you could cover up these marks.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm just going to let it alone. I realize it's such a stupid problem, I just hate dropping so much money and having stupid little cosmetic things bother me like that.

Besides, I have T-Mobile, and if the 6S/+ ends up being a Band 12 phone I'm probably going to switch to it. I miss the S-cycle anyway.

Again, sorry for such a stupid question, I was just genuinely curious if you could cover up these marks.

I would say it would have a decent chance at getting band 12 support but then again Apple was the last one to the market to use LTE so who knows

helpinghand7

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
You could always purchase a protective ring for the lens from Amazon... I just bought one for my iPhone, as I didn't know that the ring was so susceptible to scratches; however, don't let this bother you in the future, just buy a ring to cover the scratches and to keep the phone protected from further damage. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods