Data Usage!

konjis1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So my wife and i received the data usage message from AT&T saying that we used 75% of our allotted data for the billing cycle. Crazy thing is we were only 8 days into the cycle! Nothing has changed as far as our usage because we track it each month as i am kind of a stickler with the data used. Called AT&T and they even agreed that was against our normal trend for data usage. They stated they couldn't do anything as far as adjustments. So i started to watch everything as far as data usage went and I caught something weird happening. SIAP, but i noticed while on wifi whether it be at work or at home, i would get the notification that "Cellular Data is turned off" for apps that truly had cellular data off. Why would i be getting this message if i am on wifi?! This started after the ios 8.4 update. I read somewhere where ios 8.4 will look to see which network is faster whether it be cellular or wifi regardless if you are on wifi or not. Is there any truth to this? If so i am sure that is the issue. Anyone else experiencing unusually high cellular data usage since the update?

Thanks in advance.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Just turn of cellular data unless you need it. You might want to turn off background app updates too. A restore might help remove a bug that's causing this issue for you.

konjis1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Just turn of cellular data unless you need it. You might want to turn off background app updates too. A restore might help remove a bug that's causing this issue for you.

I know that is an option of turning off cellular data, but i thought the technology chose wifi over cellular regardless of which is faster. Am i mistaken?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So my wife and i received the data usage message from AT&T saying that we used 75% of our allotted data for the billing cycle. Crazy thing is we were only 8 days into the cycle! Nothing has changed as far as our usage because we track it each month as i am kind of a stickler with the data used. Called AT&T and they even agreed that was against our normal trend for data usage. They stated they couldn't do anything as far as adjustments. So i started to watch everything as far as data usage went and I caught something weird happening. SIAP, but i noticed while on wifi whether it be at work or at home, i would get the notification that "Cellular Data is turned off" for apps that truly had cellular data off. Why would i be getting this message if i am on wifi?! This started after the ios 8.4 update. I read somewhere where ios 8.4 will look to see which network is faster whether it be cellular or wifi regardless if you are on wifi or not. Is there any truth to this? If so i am sure that is the issue. Anyone else experiencing unusually high cellular data usage since the update?

Thanks in advance.

I get those same pop ups while on WiFi. I have no idea why they have it that way. I have Verizon.

turbodave38

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I get those same pop ups while on WiFi. I have no idea why they have it that way. I have Verizon.

Strange, I'm also on 8.4, and Verizon and I've NEVER seen those pop ups. I have both WI-FI and Cellullar Data turned on, and in my case it always uses wi-fi until I go out of range. Only then will it start using cellular data.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Strange, I'm also on 8.4, and Verizon and I've NEVER seen those pop ups. I have both WI-FI and Cellullar Data turned on, and in my case it always uses wi-fi until I go out of range. Only then will it start using cellular data.

It's not using data when the pop ups occur. That's what's odd about it. I haven't noticed it much since I restored as new.

rita projecta

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I also find I have 3weeks[ left and only 1gb available . I have used the rest.?
I turned off cellular data and all notifications and hope it works
Please let me know any solutions you may have
rita

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I also find I have 3weeks[ left and only 1gb available . I have used the rest.?
I turned off cellular data and all notifications and hope it works
Please let me know any solutions you may have
rita

Do most things while at home or when on WiFi elsewhere. But stay on WiFi. Use cellular sparingly. Maybe just for iMessages and email. No videos or games that use a lot of data, except while on WiFi. How many gb did you start with? How did you use it up? There's not really any other way to get through the next week. In the last 15 days I've used .092 gb of cellular data. I do most everything on WiFi. If you think you might go over, you might work something out with your carrier. Verizon is good about that.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Thanks in advance.

I remember there was a bug that caused users to show that they're on wifi, but the phone was actually using cellular data. I don't remember what version of iOS it was. Maybe that bug is back?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711