If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and/or sd card option?

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

It was an interesting discussion before three of the thought police tried to bully everyone into shutting it down. Too bad.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

So $200 for 112gb isn't overcharging? 128gb micro SD cards are now around $70. Which is cheaper? I would love to have the choice (keyword) to add a micro SD card into my phone. I rather not pay $200 for 112gb.

Nobody here is forcing anybody to use a micro SD card so you can easily forego it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you rather not pay $200 for 112gb then don't. Get a Android device and save money with a SD card.
Apple is not holding a gun to anyone's head to buy any device.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

For me, the IPhone 6+ is by far the best looking smartphone ever. Honestly, like some have said here, having the sd card option and replaceable battery wouldn?t hurt either. You don?t ever need to use these options, but it?s nice to have them just in case.

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32gb. As a power user, I?m always on it for watching CNN live, streaming videos, video calling, using the SPen to do pie charts/graphs, and of course phone calling. I don?t ever have to charge my phone (tethered to a wall or carry a bulky battery pack) in the day when it only takes me 30 seconds to easily open the back cover, swap the battery, and reload my phone. By bedtime, I charge both batteries simultaneously to have them 100% ready the next morning.

The 128gb sd card option was handy this past weekend when I was taking a lot of pics and videos at Disney World. I easily retrieved them, and deleted the ones I didn?t like without needing to log onto my cloud account. Personally, I find storing files locally much more efficient, however, I do back up important files to my 2TB external drive and cloud account as double protection.

I did own a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for a month, only to come back to my Note 4 because of these 2 options, the SPen, and bigger screen display. I may consider the IPhone 6S+ if Samsung gets rid of these 2 options, but I do like the SPen tremendously. If everything being equal, which they aren?t, I would definitely choose the IPhone 6S+.

It?s great that some former Android users here didn?t have any problems adjusting to not having these 2 options. Perhaps it may take me some time to do so.

Last edited:

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Neither because I think an SD card slot and a removable battery cover would mess up the aesthetics of the phone.
Maybe for Apple's design aesthetics, but for me, the Note 4 is the 2nd best looking smartphone ever. Samsung was able to somehow manage to squeeze in the sd card, removeable battery, and SPen with a bigger display screen than the IPhone 6+, yet somehow the Note 4 manages to be the same size overall if not a bit smaller, while maintaining an excellent aesthetic, imo.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It was an interesting discussion before three of the thought police tried to bully everyone into shutting it down. Too bad.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

TIL "Redundant" = "Interesting" to some.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site

I'm sure that it does .. until it doesn't ... and it takes your stuff with it when it dies.

Backups, backups, backups.....and internal storage can fail like any other flash.

burwil

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site

Personally both options are non-starters for me. I have tremendous battery life on my iPhone 6 Plus. I routinely charge it every other day - but have the ability to charge if more frequently if the need arises.

Likewise, with the iCloud and the plethora of options for cloud based storage, by 64GB is more than sufficient at this time.

The problem with SD card slots, no matter how integrated are not nearly equivalent to true "onboard" storage. Performance lacks and there are serious issues caused by the inability to do things like store apps on the SD card.

Not having either option doesn't bother me at all, neither does it negatively affect the design of my phone. The tighter specifications for parts and fit would be lost to some extend by having additional openings and/or "covers" for things like SD card slots, and dealing with removable backs, etc.

I am perfectly content at this time with the design and function of my iPhone.

My last Android was the Note 3. SD card was of limited use because, as you said, I couldn't put apps on there just camera images. I don't know about the latest OS. I do know after a couple of years my 32 gb of storage was getting filled up and my 32 gb SD card wasn't going to fix that. I also had an extended battery since the phone ate alot of juice. I wasn't interested at all in standard size replaceable batteries. My 6 Plus has 64 gb of memory and there isn't ever a battery problem unless I go crazy with games. Storage space and battery life are the two things I won't compromise so Android isn't a good fit for me anymore.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

I prefer larger amounts of faster internal storage over slower removable storage. Removable battery has never really interested me, even before I bought an iPhone and was looking at all phones. The fact that I can add storage with an SD Card would be cool, but it isn't a feature that determines what phones I buy.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

If you rather not pay $200 for 112gb then don't. Get a Android device and save money with a SD card.
Apple is not holding a gun to anyone's head to buy any device.

It's not a deal breaker when you get down to it. I just prefer the choice of not spending $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xNeezzy

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Since the 6 plus has a good battery, I'll go with the SD option. I don't think Apple will do that, I think what they would do is have 32 gb as starting storage. But even that I doubt they will do.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

I would definitely prefer to have both, though it is rare that I have used them in recent years.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Since the 6 plus has a good battery, I'll go with the SD option. I don't think Apple will do that, I think what they would do is have 32 gb as starting storage. But even that I doubt they will do.

Talking about the 32gb as the starting storage, does anyone know why Apple doesn't make it in the 6 and 6+?

zeromeus

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

Once upon a time I had a HTC phone. One battery didn't last me half a day, so I had to have an extra battery with charger to keep it working. It was heavy and bulky, so I opted for a galaxy s phone. I also spent money on two extra batteries and a charger.

During the 8 months that I used those phones, I had to lug around extra batteries and the charger to charge those extra batteries all day every day. I got sick of doing that and decided to forgo the extra batteries altogether. Sick of having my phone only in the mornings, I dumped them for an iPhone. Surprisingly, without the ability to even swap out batteries, the iPhone lasted me two days with even more usage than I did on the HTC or the galaxy. The reason for heavier usage is that I didn't have to turn on and off features as I need them as the iPhone does that automatically. Using the android based phones, I had to manually manage GPS, wifi, bluetooth, and anything else that might drain batteries such as 4G. I never missed having the extra battery one bit. Today's iPhone 6 Plus gives me 3 days of usage without heavy data usage or more than a day of usage with normal usage with heavy data access.

I won't even talk about the SD or MicroSD card slot as that's not even something I'd put up with. Speed and reliability are two problems... There are more.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Once upon a time I had a HTC phone. One battery didn't last me half a day, so I had to have an extra battery with charger to keep it working. It was heavy and bulky, so I opted for a galaxy s phone. I also spent money on two extra batteries and a charger.

During the 8 months that I used those phones, I had to lug around extra batteries and the charger to charge those extra batteries all day every day. I got sick of doing that and decided to forgo the extra batteries altogether. Sick of having my phone only in the mornings, I dumped them for an iPhone. Surprisingly, without the ability to even swap out batteries, the iPhone lasted me two days with even more usage than I did on the HTC or the galaxy. The reason for heavier usage is that I didn't have to turn on and off features as I need them as the iPhone does that automatically. Using the android based phones, I had to manually manage GPS, wifi, bluetooth, and anything else that might drain batteries such as 4G. I never missed having the extra battery one bit. Today's iPhone 6 Plus gives me 3 days of usage without heavy data usage or more than a day of usage with normal usage with heavy data access.

I won't even talk about the SD or MicroSD card slot as that's not even something I'd put up with. Speed and reliability are two problems... There are more.
Wow, my experience has been totally opposite from yours with my Note 4. What type of Galaxy S extra batteries did you have to lug around? Mine are way thin, and come with a clear plastic protector like this one, fits perfectly in my pocket. I leave the charger at home, why bring it with you when you can charge the batteries at night like your phone?

Attachments

• 1437424998381.jpg
    1437424998381.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 25

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Talking about the 32gb as the starting storage, does anyone know why Apple doesn't make it in the 6 and 6+?

This is a topic that has been covered several times here...bottom line, as a business move, it didn't make much sense for Apple to eliminate the 16GB version since it was still selling so well. This coming generation in September will change that though according to Forbes today, and the entry model will be 32GB (most likely).

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

This is a topic that has been covered several times here...bottom line, as a business move, it didn't make much sense for Apple to eliminate the 16GB version since it was still selling so well. This coming generation in September will change that though according to Forbes today, and the entry model will be 32GB (most likely).
Thanks for that bit of info. That would be great if the next IPhones come in also 32gb, although if I were to get one, the 128gb would be my choice.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Genuine question: For those that say the SD card slot ruins the aesthetic/design of the phone, does the SIM card slot also ruin the design? Couldn't Apple create something like this but you would insert a SD card instead? I agree that the experience is better without it but I'd rather have it than not; even though I am okay with not having it as I knew what I was buying before purchase.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

How can you lose a card that should be in your phone....I have plenty in my house where I have a container just for them. Overpriced is overpriced and Apple severely overprices on memory . Not enough of an issue that it's a deal breaker but it's them being greedy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because if there is an issue with the SD card, which is pretty likely, you will end up taking it out and possible dropping it. And it's pretty easy to lose something that small.