I'd like to see Apple implement an Android-like Wi-Fi setting.

mustang7757

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I like to see Apple add a feature that Android has in wifi setting , instead of putting a password for your wifi router just hit the wep Key and automatically logs you into your router

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
That is the most insecure method of connecting to a router and probably the reason (at least I hope ) to not include it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I like to see Apple add a feature that Android has in wifi setting , instead of putting a password for your wifi router just hit the wep Key and automatically logs you into your router

Isn't that setting hacking your Wi-Fi network to retrieve your WEP passcode, and then using that hacked passcode to allow your phone to connect to that network? If that's true then I do NOT want Apple implementing anything like that.

Last edited:

mustang7757

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys for the input, I thought it was a nice feature that I was use to on Android but I don't see it's not safe because if I only have access to my router and push the button is there a way someone else can get into it without hitting the button?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for the input, I thought it was a nice feature that I was use to on Android but I don't see it's not safe because if I only have access to my router and push the button is there a way someone else can get into it without hitting the button?

On behalf of those who replied, you're very welcome. Now in regard to your question, WEP is a weak and outdated security measure, and if the app can sniff out your WEP passcode then someone can use that app to retrieve it and then log themselves in to your Wi-Fi Network. The Wi-Fi signal typically travels outside your home perimeter unless you're living on a farm or a home with a good deal of acreage. Anyway, if your Wi-Fi router allows for WPA2, I HIGHLY recommend you switch to that in lieu of WEP.

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Yup this covers the wifi portion of the issue the portion that makes it as simple as pressing a button is wps which allows any device that attempts to associate with the router during the 30 seconds ( if I'm not mistaken) to connect token less and without a password this in theory is a really great way of connecting new devices to your router easily but runs the risk that anyone listening can simply brute force the pin associated with the router. Hence not a good idea to have enabled and use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Android uses WEP security? That's the least secure option for wifi - just barely above NONE. No thanks.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You only have to put your code in once and any other network you may use frequently unless you reset the network settings.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
A feature I've never used on my routers...and for good reason...there aint a chance in hell I'm lowering my network security low enough to make easy use of that function. No offense, but you might as well just open your network up at that point...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2