Was bend gate really overblown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty hard on my phones. I had the 6 for 6 months, sold it "as new" without any wear and tear marks on it, it was in mint condition. I've had the the plus for 2 months, no issues. I don't know how people are getting their phones bent, it seems I'd have to try really hard for that to happen.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty hard on my phones. I had the 6 for 6 months, sold it "as new" without any wear and tear marks on it, it was in mint condition. I've had the the plus for 2 months, no issues. I don't know how people are getting their phones bent, it seems I'd have to try really hard for that to happen.

People just have a place to point their fingers (besides themselves) when they damage their own phone. In the past, there was no real talk of this, so when it happened, they just lived with it...now that they have an outlet for blame, they can take lack of responsibility and throw it out the window, instead blaming Apple for not making it more negligence resistant, lol.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ravensword has everything go wrong with his iPhones that have been reported. Bending, flash memory, backlight bleed etc.

There is no way that one person can get several iPhones with various consistent faults. And the faults never happen at the same time.
It's Phone #1 had a certain issue Phone #2 a different issue Phone #3 a different issue. How in the hell do you get several iPhones that produce these individual faults separately.

I don't know if it's OCD or just straight tripping.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Checked mine tonight in a few different cases and naked. It's has such a slight wobble. Oh well. Still works fine in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Checked mine tonight in a few different cases and naked. It's has such a slight wobble. Oh well. Still works fine in my book.

I'm seriously thinking it's certain cases. Asked around to a few Facebook friends who've got iPhone 6 models. Only a handful said they've got a slight bend and one said they had to replace it. I asked if they used a case and most were using an Otterbox or something similarly heavy. The one who had theirs replaced, had an Otterbox like my guy had. Weird.

I think the device is possibly meant to flex a bit to withstand more serious damage but with certain heavy duty cases, it's causing too much rigidity? Like what iEd said, a bad fitting shoe.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking it's certain cases. Asked around to a few Facebook friends who've got iPhone 6 models. Only a handful said they've got a slight bend and one said they had to replace it. I asked if they used a case and most were using an Otterbox or something similarly heavy. The one who had theirs replaced, had an Otterbox like my guy had. Weird.

I think the device is possibly meant to flex a bit to withstand more serious damage but with certain heavy duty cases, it's causing too much rigidity? Like what iEd said, a bad fitting shoe.

It's possible that heavy duty cases are a factor in bending.
It's possible that thin or less rigid case or a naked iPhone may lend itself to the phone flexing uniformly. Again just pure speculation.
I do believe that just because a accessory/case is made for iPhone doesn't necessarily make it good for iPhone. But there's no way to tell unless you use a particular case/ accessory.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

I guess anything is possible. But for me it's just not a big deal. It's just a phone and I'm not going to drive myself crazy about a wobble in my phone. It's doesn't effect the usage at all it's just cosmetic to me. I'm not worried about the resale because I always give my phone to a family member. And after all I have apple care if it gets any worse.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Because so far I've had what appears to be two slightly bent 6 pluses and it's really frustrating. If I lay the phone face down and I push on the bottom right and top left corners there's a slight rock back and forth. And it pisses me off because I'm very careful with my stuff and I keep getting bent phones. So really, wasn't bend gate a real issue then? All I did was have them in my pocket. That's it. Is my phone not really bent? I can't keep going to the Genius Bar to get this replaced.
Why doesn't this surprise me? When you're involved, issues seem to be Not If, But When ...

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
No. It was extremely poor design for a product that costs so much. Go try bending my Lumia 820. Or even an iPod Classic. The material they used for the 6 is just of a weaker quality. And Apple should have addressed it appropriately.

That said, I'm still glad it happened because it led to those kids in England going to their local Apple Store and breaking multiple iPhones, and that was HILARIOUS.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That said, I'm still glad it happened because it led to those kids in England going to their local Apple Store and breaking multiple iPhones, and that was HILARIOUS.
Vandalism is amusing to you... Nice reveal about your true character...thanks. I'll keep that in mind in future interactions with you.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Vandalism is amusing to you... Nice reveal about your true character...thanks. I'll keep that in mind in future interactions with you.

It was hilarious because they filmed it, posted it on YouTube, and then didn't understand why they got in trouble. There is some humor there...

Don't be so uptight. :raised-eyebrow:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It was hilarious because they filmed it, posted it on YouTube, and then didn't understand why they got in trouble. There is some humor there...

Don't be so uptight. :raised-eyebrow:

You seen to have a penchant for going into threads guns blazing criticising MacBooks and calling forum members rude, and being glad that iPhones bent because it led to kids vandalising merchandise, and you cry foul when we don't see the humour in your posts. That's odd.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
You seen to have a penchant for going into threads guns blazing criticising MacBooks and calling forum members rude, and being glad that iPhones bent because it led to kids vandalising merchandise, and you cry foul when we don't see the humour in your posts. That's odd.

I'm allowed to criticize any product I see fit. And as this is a forum about Apple and Apple products, this is the place to do it. If my opinions don't jive with yours, I can't do anything about that. The forum member that I called out for being rude was, in fact, being rude. Took the conversation to a whole new level simply because I disagreed with his opinion.

In regards to this thread: yes, I found that incident funny. People really need to lighten up. But I think perhaps I just don't belong here. I may be using an iPhone now, but I don't mesh well with you guys, and I don't think I'll really be involved with the culture here. It's just a bad fit...

imnjs

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Soooooooo I just came back into the iPhone scene and I forgot that this issue even existed to be honest, if that says anything. I remember when it was first discovered and being overblown. It was literally on every. Web. Site. Ever.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm allowed to criticize any product I see fit. And as this is a forum about Apple and Apple products, this is the place to do it. If my opinions don't jive with yours, I can't do anything about that. The forum member that I called out for being rude was, in fact, being rude. Took the conversation to a whole new level simply because I disagreed with his opinion.

In regards to this thread: yes, I found that incident funny. People really need to lighten up. But I think perhaps I just don't belong here. I may be using an iPhone now, but I don't mesh well with you guys, and I don't think I'll really be involved with the culture here. It's just a bad fit...

There is criticism and there is antagonism for its own sake. In this thread you have shown the latter. As in other threads I've read.

Saying that you are happy that Apple stores were vandalised is not constructive criticism, it is antagonistic stirring of the pot.

I don't find that anyone who objects to vandalism needs to lighten up. I do find that those who find it funny are childish and immature.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reinforcement. I'm gone.

Don't let the door hit ya...

UtJtZUH.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online