Potential Iphone 6 Plus Convert from Android

daikens28

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to iMore and am a longtime android guy (in part because VZW never had the Iphone back in the day) and wanted to introduce myself and ask the mighty Iphone community for some advice. I currently have a droid turbo and I don't care too much for google play or any of google services and have more tie up in Microsoft's cloud than anything but wanted to get your opinions and see if anyone else has switched from android to the 6 plus and what your thoughts are?

Also, anyone have any advice on VZW vs T-Mobile in the greater Seattle area?

Thanks for all the help and advice in advance!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
First, let me welcome you to iMore. Second, my last phone was an LG G3, and I love my iPhone 6 Pus much, much more. You will not be sorry if you purchase an iPhone.

As far as VZW vs T-Mobile, I don’t live in Seattle, but T-Mobile would be my last choice.

turbodave38

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to iMore and am a longtime android guy (in part because VZW never had the Iphone back in the day) and wanted to introduce myself and ask the mighty Iphone community for some advice. I currently have a droid turbo and I don't care too much for google play or any of google services and have more tie up in Microsoft's cloud than anything but wanted to get your opinions and see if anyone else has switched from android to the 6 plus and what your thoughts are?

You and I are in the same place! I'm a LONGGGG time android user and previous Apple hater, but..... All the rest of my family have moved over to Apple products and I'm the only holdout. So I have decided that my next phone is going to be the 6 plus! I'm just going to wait another month or so.
I can't talk about your area but the LAST thing I would do is leave VZW and thier massive network to move over to T-Mobile!!! And as a retired cell phone engineer I would never ever ever leave CDMA to move to the antiquated outdated technology of GSM.
Stick with your provider and jump into the Apple world as I plan to do!!

daikens28

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey Turbodave,

Thanks for all the info!

Yea, I'm going to jump to Apple and keep VZW. I can complain about the price, but have never had an issue with service. As far as android goes, as much as I loved it in the OG droid, android phones these days remind me of PCs in the 2000s; cheaply made, tons of bloatware, slow updates and a different experience for every device. I've just gotten tired of waiting for manufacturers and VZW to update a device when apple makes everything so easy and smooth. And now with the 6 plus, I finally get the big screen, beast of a battery and smooth UI experience.

Thanks again for the help and information on the networks!

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Why not look into Att? Isn't that where the original iPhone was made for?? joking aside I have Att and there service is tops! If you were looking into gsm Att is it. Wouldn't recommend T-Mobile or sprint to anybody!

Sent from my  Iphone 6 plus 

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Make yourself at home and enjoy the site! Once you get used to your iPhone, you'll like it. No back button! :D

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I recommend taking advantage of whatever current 'test drive our network' promo T-Mobile is offering right now. Anywhere Tmo has a good coverage footprint the network is great. Outside of that things start going downhill. As much as I love Tmo don't switch unless they have good coverage in the areas you use a cellular network the most.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

daikens28

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for all your input. I picked up the iPhone 6 plus yesterday and man this thing blows any android phone I've had away. Every bit of this OS is so fluid and the battery life is excellent!

Happy to finally "come to the dark side" as they say and thank you all again for the welcomes!(even though I've apparently been a member since 2012 and didn't know lol)

daniel.michael4724

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I too was a long time Android user. I went from a Blackberry Curve 8900, to an iPhone 4, to various Android phones (the most recent being a Note 3), and now the 6 Plus. I despised the iPhone 4 mostly because of the interface. To me it was bland and lacking any type of "personality" and I swore I'd never own another iPhone. Recently I was in the process of updating my Note 3 to Lollipop and something in the upgrade failed essentially soft bricking my phone. I was finished with my contract obligation so I decided to purchase the 6 Plus. I'm blown away on how much Apple has polished the user interface, the overall design, and having Touch ID. Plus I really like the phablet style phones. I'd recommend it a thousand times over!

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

wanted to get your opinions and see if anyone else has switched from android to the 6 plus and what your thoughts are?

I had an iPhone in 2011 but ended up switching to android the same year. I still love android and what it does but after a while you realize the customization is cool but sort of a distraction. I have had the samsung s2, samsung note 3, htc one, and moto x. But my personal preference was always iOS but could not do it because of the small screen. Once Apple announced the 6+ I was SOLD! I don't regret leaving the moto x because I love the 6 pluses camera, battery life, screen size, design, and simplicity of the OS. The reason I've had so many android phones is because I was never satisfied but with the 6+ I plan to keep it for a couple more years. The only thing I miss from other devices is the LED light; something minor. Go with the iPhone its an amazing device.

Last edited:

daikens28

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Yea, thanks for that. It's good to see other people have similar experiences. Had android for years and was never satisfied. I tried to use the 4s once before but didn't like the screen size back then but the new iPhones really have changed.

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I remember before purchasing my 6 plus (my dream phone) I was doing research on carriers. I've always been a Verizon customer, but let's face it, it's quite expensive. I went into a t-mobile store spoke with a sales rep about coverage when he promptly told me to stay away from t-mobile and sprint. He said I would never be happy with either provider since their service was known to be very spotty especially in my area. I was shocked that he was so forthright with this information knowing it cost him a sale, but happy he was honest. I only wish going into a Verizon store wasn't such a pain in the a$$. The one and only which is about 3 miles from my house has the rudest, laziest sales reps I've every had the displeasure of dealing with. On the other hand I had such bad service at this very store about 4 years ago I googled the CEO of the companies email address. Sent an email detailing this god awful event and the next day the district manager called bending over backwards to make everything right and giving me his personal phone number to call if I ever had another problem. Unfortunately I went back last September and the rudeness and laziness at this store still exist. Went to my local Best Buy and bought my 6 plus there.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't talk about your area but the LAST thing I would do is leave VZW and thier massive network to move over to T-Mobile!!! And as a retired cell phone engineer I would never ever ever leave CDMA to move to the antiquated outdated technology of GSM.
Good thing you retired because thats a bunch of BS ...

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
...Went to my local Best Buy and bought my 6 plus there.

My local VZW store is good, and the staff are helpful. I think its probably hit or miss, though. This is why I like getting iPhone directly from Apple Store or buying it online (either from Apple or VZW) and unboxing/setting up as new at home. Not saying that Apple Store experience or staff are perfect either, but in my experience getting iPhones at the Apple Store has been positive and hassle free.

I see Best Buy as a similar and somewhat agnostic environment. They'll sell you what you want and have a more open environment in the store. If you're in a VZW (or any other carrier store), you're "trapped" - unless its a "store within a store".

For the 6+, agree its been a great device overall. iOS 8 has had some problems, but is getting better. Usability for me is great, and the integration with OS X and the overall iCloud/iTunes/iMessage ecosystem is similarly overall excellent. Interoperability with other iOS users is seamless, and Family Sharing is another bonus if you have kids or want to share apps with others in the family.

I also have a Note 4 (backup phone used in WiFi mode) as I like to keep up with technology, and be better able to support family members who are on Android/TouchWiz. Note 4 is a really good device and there's much to like about it.

Last edited:

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPhone in 2011 but ended up switching to android the same year. I still love android and what it does but after a while you realize the customization is cool but sort of a distraction. I have had the samsung s2, samsung note 3, htc one, and moto x. But my personal preference was always iOS but could not do it because of the small screen. Once Apple announced the 6+ I was SOLD! I don't regret leaving the moto x because I love the 6 pluses camera, battery life, screen size, design, and simplicity of the OS. The reason I've had so many android phones is because I was never satisfied but with the 6+ I plan to keep it for a couple more years. The only thing I miss from other devices is the LED light; something minor. Go with the iPhone its an amazing device.

Ditto. Couldn't have said it better. I bought numerous android phones this year alone. S5, Note 3, Note 4, Nexus 6, etc. Nothing satisfied until I picked up the 6+. The only thing that was holding me back from iphones were the screen size. I do have an S4 has a backup and to use with screenmirroring with my tv.

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Ditto. Couldn't have said it better. I bought numerous android phones this year alone. S5, Note 3, Note 4, Nexus 6, etc. Nothing satisfied until I picked up the 6+. The only thing that was holding me back from iphones were the screen size. I do have an S4 has a backup and to use with screenmirroring with my tv.

Ditto to both of you. Similar story here. I have been a ROM flashing junky for years. In the end you get tired of all the customization and it distracts from what you are supposed to do with a phone. You spend more time customizing than anything else and it sort of gets like an addiction that takes up a lot of your time.

Now with the 6 Plus, the only thing I miss is really a notification LED. But finally an iPhone with a big enough screen because under 5" is not for me. The battery life that usually comes with bigger screens is a big plus too and boy the battery does not dissapoint on the 6 Plus. My mobile usage has "matured" and now iOS suits me better .

burwil

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I just came over a month ago from Verizon/Note 3 to T-Mobile (Test Drive)/ 6 Plus. Whatever it was, the network or the phone, I was getting horrible performance. Could never get to the bottom of why I couldn't get a decent signal where I worked. Anyway, I really liked the new iOS they've developed with the pull down widgets that I was able to see with the test drive 5S. I didn't care for the phone at all but the network was great. The Plus has outstanding battery life. You just have to tweak it so it isn't always syncing things up and the iOS doesn't appear to load up every app on your phone into memory which is what I was seeing with the GSam battery monitor in Android. I really hate Safari with it's constant reloading. I like to copy and paste things from one tab to another but when you switch tabs it often reloads which means what you pasted before is gone. And you can't easily add search terms to a search like many 3rd party browsers. And you don't get the real path to the website your visiting on the URL bar. Perhaps there is a setting for that.

In any case I don't mean to highlight the negatives. It's a great phone, great battery life, and iOS has continued to evolved in a good way. I think you'll be happy with the integration and streamlined system compared to Android. Now all that's left is to buy about ten cases and give us your impressions. :smile:

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Making the switch to iPhone is something you will have to try and see if you like before anything.

I came to iOS a few years ago from android. I was always flashing new roms, trying to set up the perfect phone. I never was able to get it just right. One day my phone suffered water damage at work, so of course I used my moms upgrade on AT&T and unlocked it for T-Mobile. I loved it. I got the 4S, and soon I used T-Mobile JUMP to upgrade to the 5. I have been upgrading with every new iPhone since then. I initially got the iPhone 6 and after roughly 6 months, I upgraded to the iPhone 6 plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2