Never knew iPhone had this feature

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I wast at Costco today and checked the time and noticed it showed the Costco app on the bottom left of the screen

5a9d59dc697c2057d7d728574936f42c.jpg

When did they add that ? Just curious since that last time I had an iPhone it was ios4 of whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
It's a setting in settings>iTunes & App Store. See bottom of attached screenshot. Based on your location it knew you were at a Costco and was suggesting that app. ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1429409046.196801.jpg

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I wast at Costco today and checked the time and noticed it showed the Costco app on the bottom left of the screen

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/18/5a9d59dc697c2057d7d728574936f42c.jpg

When did they add that ? Just curious since that last time I had an iPhone it was ios4 of whatever

I've never seen it. Maybe something to do with the Costco app and gps?

53N7 9R0M M4 i6+

It's part of the handoff/continuity feature added with iOS 8.0

redsharktibby

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I think Apple went over that feature in the iOS 8 keynote...not completely sure. I forgot that iOS 8 could do that though. Never happens on my phone where I live.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
The Starbucks app will do that if you're near one of their locations that you haven't marked as a favorite.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The Starbucks app will do that if you're near one of their locations that you haven't marked as a favorite.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

A Starbucks location just opened up on campus back in January here in Hong Kong, I should try it out, perhaps it's an iPhone only feature though and wouldn't work with the iPad...

That, and perhaps it's only the US that's supported? All the more reason to test this out.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
The Home Depot, Lowes, and Fred Meyer are a few more. The Costco app is pretty cool because you can set up a shopping list in the app and then when you're near a Costco that icon comes up, hit the icon and your shopping list comes up. I for one find it very easy to get sidetracked in Costco, and this keeps me semi focused ...

Last edited:

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Things pop up at the bottom of my phone quite frequently here, that is in Melbourne. I'm pretty sure it's been around for some time, is it since iOS7 actually? Or probably 8 last year? Starbucks is the usual culprit, but we also have ticket services use this one for their local shops and a couple of event related buildings/museums that have their own apps. It can become quite ad-like, so I understand the gripe some people have with it. I have turned it off for that reason.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
It's a setting in settings>iTunes & App Store. See bottom of attached screenshot. Based on your location it knew you were at a Costco and was suggesting that app. View attachment 80250

This actually has to do with App Store purchases.

The ones talked about above are the location services. When on the app pops up when you're near the location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's called iBeacons. When you get close to a participating business it shows on your lockscreen. They want you to come on in and spend money. You can turn it off in settings.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine only seems to show the app for my school grades, which is weird seeing how I have my phone on airplane mode at school

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711