Possibly stupid question about setting up contact names...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So let's say hypothetically I want to call a guy "Sam the Id*ot" in my phone, but when I email this guy, I just want it to show up as "Samuel" (whether individually to him or in a group email)...how do I set up the contact where "Sam the Id*ot" doesn't show up in emails, but remains his name in my phone for phone calls or text/iMessage purposes?

I only ask because this happened...and the recipient wasn't thrilled about the name I had for him in my phone, lol!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So let's say hypothetically I want to call a guy "Sam the Id*ot" in my phone, but when I email this guy, I just want it to show up as "Samuel" (whether individually to him or in a group email)...how do I set up the contact where "Sam the Id*ot" doesn't show up in emails, but remains his name in my phone for phone calls or text/iMessage purposes?

I only ask because this happened...and the recipient wasn't thrilled about the name I had for him in my phone, lol!

I was not aware that what YOU called the person in the contacts app on YOUR device showed up to the recipient of your messages. I have about 250 contacts and as far as I known and ever seen, when they contact me, it shows up under the name that I gave them - what they call themselves (their entry for me in their device's contact list) is immaterial and irrelevant.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
And that Nickname shows up how?
On their contact card, the nickname shows up in quotes under their name... if you go to compose an email, entering the nickname brings up their 'real' name and email address to select - and that's all that shows in the "to"...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When someone emails me, the name in "To.." is the name I have for myself in contacts. Or that's what I thought. It seems odd everyone would have it the exact way.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was not aware that what YOU called the person in the contacts app on YOUR device showed up to the recipient of your messages. I have about 250 contacts and as far as I known and ever seen, when they contact me, it shows up under the name that I gave them - what they call themselves (their entry for me in their device's contact list) is immaterial and irrelevant.

I thought so too...but sure enough, when I emailed this guy, it showed up as the name I had for him in my contact list, thus exposing what I thought to be a pretty hilarious name for him (but to him...not so much, lol).

Thanks for the help guys! I'm going through and doing nicknames now...I don't know how I missed this, but I never knew the option existed!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I thought so too...but sure enough, when I emailed this guy, it showed up as the name I had for him in my contact list, thus exposing what I thought to be a pretty hilarious name for him (but to him...not so much, lol).

Thanks for the help guys! I'm going through and doing nicknames now...I don't know how I missed this, but I never knew the option existed!

We should start a thread on nicknames that we have for people. I have some pretty nifty ones for people like this Sam fellow you're talking about.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Interesting. And good to know (for personal survival reasons).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So my cousin and I have been testing this. Doesn't work. I change his name in contacts and he shows his email address. No name. He does it and I see my name, not the bad name. ??
Also tested it with my Wife's contact name and email. What we all see is the name we have for ourselves in our own contact.

Last edited:

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I think if the person Sean sent the email to didn't have his own contact in his phone then he would see the name Sean put in for him. If Sean used a nickname, then the nickname is only for internal reference for Sean and never seen by the other person. Just my thoughts. I could be way off though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think if the person Sean sent the email to didn't have his own contact in his phone then he would see the name Sean put in for him. If Sean used a nickname, then the nickname is only for internal reference for Sean and never seen by the other person. Just my thoughts. I could be way off though.

I would going if the other person had no contact for himself, he would see his email address. But I may be way off too. This needs more testing. :D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that during a business group email, everyone showed up on BOTH ends (my end AND receivers end) with the names I have for them (all of them) in my phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All I know is that during a business group email, everyone showed up on BOTH ends (my end AND receivers end) with the names I have for them (all of them) in my phone.

I don't dispute you at all. But my cousin, with @bellsouth.net, my Wife with Gmail and myself with Gmail went like this. I change my cuz to Johnbadname in contacts. I see it when I send the mail. But he only sees his email address. Vice versa and I see my real name. The same with my Wife. We all see the name we have for ourselves in contacts. We did it several ways. So what's the difference in what you did and what we did? We all have more than 1 account. My cuz even created a second contact for me with just one email address. Still didn't work. We were wanting it to work. My cuz and I use the iP 5. My wife the 5c.??

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't dispute you at all. But my cousin, with @bellsouth.net, my Wife with Gmail and myself with Gmail went like this. I change my cuz to Johnbadname in contacts. I see it when I send the mail. But he only sees his email address. Vice versa and I see my real name. The same with my Wife. We all see the name we have for ourselves in contacts. We did it several ways. So what's the difference in what you did and what we did? We all have more than 1 account. My cuz even created a second contact for me with just one email address. Still didn't work. We were wanting it to work. My cuz and I use the iP 5. My wife the 5c.??

Do you look at your emails on computers as well or just on the phones? When I read emails on my iPhone (native iOS mail app) I see the names as I have them listed in my address book. If they are not in my address book, then just the email address shows up.

But when I pull them up on a computer in safari on gmail/yahoo etc., I can see how I am listed in their contacts next to my email address:

<name> lvmhgirl @ example . com

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have nicknames in my contact list, and the recipient usually doesn't see it, unless I send out a group email or use "reply all", and then everyone's name or nickname I have listed shows up.

Now as far as someone seeing a less than flattering nickname... Own it and rock it, I say.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you look at your emails on computers as well or just on the phones? When I read emails on my iPhone (native iOS mail app) I see the names as I have them listed in my address book. If they are not in my address book, then just the email address shows up.

But when I pull them up on a computer in safari on gmail/yahoo etc., I can see how I am listed in their contacts next to my email address:

<name> lvmhgirl @ example . com

I was only looking on iPhone. I don't have a working computer. Maybe that's why.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77