Replaced iPhone LCD Screen, Can't get touch to be responsive?

Drummer Ben

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I believe my problem is getting the cables on the LCD to stay on the motherboard. I am trying to fit a new LCD on my iPhone 6 Plus. This is an LCD that came off of a working iPhone 6 Plus. At first I couldn't get a picture to show. After taking the screen apart and trying again I get a picture but touch is very unresponsive, inaccurate. There also is a few lines showing up on the screen. Any advice for getting the cables to stay? I am screwing in the metal shield with every try.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe my problem is getting the cables on the LCD to stay on the motherboard. I am trying to fit a new LCD on my iPhone 6 Plus. This is an LCD that came off of a working iPhone 6 Plus. At first I couldn't get a picture to show. After taking the screen apart and trying again I get a picture but touch is very unresponsive, inaccurate. There also is a few lines showing up on the screen. Any advice for getting the cables to stay? I am screwing in the metal shield with every try.

My suggestion, really, is to take it to an authorised repair shop. Or to Apple. How long have you had the device? It might have still been under warranty.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What are we missing from this story? If you got an LCD off another iPhone 6 plus then its not a new screen. Its a used screen.
So lets back track. What was wrong with the iPhone 6 plus that you got the screen from? Makes no sense to cannibalize a perfectly good working unit just to fix another. Were you using metal pry tools to get the connectors off? Did you press the new/used screen connectors to hard when installing it? There are many things that can and will go wrong when you try to do something your not familiar with. Im not saying you did but theres a lot of missing info. I work on these for a living and i have learned a lot by trial and error. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity...are you ONLY replacing the LCD or did you replace the digitizer as well? Assuming you did this because of damage to the original screen, there's a pretty good chance the digitizer was also damaged, and could be why you're not getting accurate touch response.

Also, many of the screen replacements online are cheap junk...you mentioned it came off a working iPhone 6 Plus, but I have to ask, why would someone take a perfectly functioning 6 Plus screen off just to mount it on a broke 6 Plus? Why not just use the working 6 Plus?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion, really, is to take it to an authorised repair shop. Or to Apple. How long have you had the device? It might have still been under warranty.

The iPhone 6 Plus has only been out since September, so, it would have been under warranty. I guarantee that this one is not now.

Drummer Ben

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
No IAMSIXNINE I'm just saying this screen is oem, bought it on eBay. I was told it was taken off of an iPhone 6 plus. I did buy a full replacement digitzer/lcd with home button. Qbnkelt I really feel apple wouldn't even attempt fixing this. It looks as if someone ran over it and flattened it.

Now, I completely destroyed my iPhone 6 Plus. Looked as if it were run over by a car. Wanted to retrieve all of the videos, voice memos and notes off of a the phone. Removed the motherboard from the wrecked iPhone 6 plus and camera. Bought a new motherboard housing and digitizer/lcd to place the motherboard and camera in. I successfully got the new zombie phone working and retrieved my data off the phone. The connection to the screen keeps coming loose though. I feel I may have bent one of the metal prongs or whatever you call it on one of the digitizer cables trying to get the cables to stay. Other than that everything works again. I've already spent $500 attempting to fix the phone. Should I buy another screen or does it sound like I just need to put the cables in properly. I can assure everyone everything else has been correctly put into place. Sound works, camera works, flash works, vibration works, cellular/wifi works. I guess I could replace the cables on the digitizer. I'll upload a pic of the messed up cable.

Last edited:

Drummer Ben

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
You spent $500 bucks trying to fix a 6 Plus? Why?

Better than buying a new out of contract 128GB 6 Plus

Anyways, this was my Friday night last night :)

11083896_863093903749697_7073835948347428664_n.jpg

Drummer Ben

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Here's the bent connector on the new digitizer that could be what is causing the problem. As far as what happened Ed was on my bike and got caught in my wheels.

10408616_863592357033185_6885116429659784414_n.jpg

Last edited:

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
If you had everything in iCloud you could have restored all of that data from iCloud onto your new device. You can do the same thing if you had backed up the iPhone to iTunes on your computer.

Drummer Ben

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Right, should have gotten a case for it too. What was initially wrong with it to answer your question I'd say battery was ripped in half, aluminum was all warped, screen was destroyed. Was surprised the motherboard was still intact. For the bent pins on the digitizer cable I guess I could try to bend them back with some pin point tweezers.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 6 Plus has only been out since September, so, it would have been under warranty. I guarantee that this one is not now.

Yup, which is the sad thing. Now there are two broken Plus devices.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Better than buying a new out of contract 128GB 6 Plus

Anyways, this was my Friday night last night :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1438309921_87192bcb25bd29abfe388d882833b184

But you never tried to find out through Apple.
Look I know it's much too late now. And I know people like to tinker. I've got brothers and cousins and I grew up watching them struggle with disemboweled cars and radios and such. But really, Apple might have helped initially with whatever was wrong.

Those pics are painful to look at. I'm sorry. Please consider Apple Care + for your next iDevice. It's what I always do.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Drummer Ben

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey, got my data back at least which was worth it right there. Still havn't given up yet and will post on here if I end up getting this to work,

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Post some close ups of the ribbon cable connector and the digitizer I actually used to repair phones for sprint and I'm still an electrician now. I might be able to spot something.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Post some close ups of the ribbon cable connector and the digitizer I actually used to repair phones for sprint and I'm still an electrician now. I might be able to spot something.
Check out the pic he posted in post #11.
The connector on the bottom should have 2 straight rows, the row on the left is crooked, thats the problem. He may luck out if he is able to straighten them out but lets hope the didnt damage the board by trying to force the connectors together when they were bent.