Can I get some help saving my Power Key & Home Key?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: Apple, help us save the Power Key & Home Key?

Man, this place is really starting grow in the complaint department when it comes to Apple hardware.

"Create gestures to not wear out the most used buttons." You're worried about wearing out a button????

Dr Noon

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

Hey man. Are you kiddin? You own your device or your device own you? Come on man. Use your device and dont think about these things..

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Somewhere along iOS 7 my iPad 2 64gig. My home button started acting funny. It seemed that it was taking more pressure for it to work. Recently even after a restart you almost had to stomp on it to wake it up.

I just figured hey it's old and it's time is coming.
So last week I restored as new and reinstalled just 5 apps that I need nothing else and miraculously the home button is behaving like its new. Just a light press will wake it up and a light double click puts it in multitasking.

So I figure that the home button manipulates software if the software is corrupt or if the device is older running a new iOS with a boat load of apps which is what I had on mine. The home button could act funny. I'm not saying a home can't fail but based on my experience software issues can impact it functioning smoothly, possibly even on a newer device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

To fix an unresponsive Home Button, just recalibrate by holding down the power button till the slide to power down, and then, letting go of the power button, hold down the home button until it goes away. Et La La, it's fixed! (And yes I put La La there on purpose)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

I too have had every iteration of iPhone since the OG, and have only had a problem with the iPhone 5's power button. That was known to have batches with defective power buttons, and Apple had a recall. That iPhone 5 is still in use today by my sister-in-law. I feel comfortable saying that button wear is basically a non-issue with iPhone, and should be only approached on a case by case basis. If this concern of button failure too great for some, then I highly suggest the purchase of Apple Care+ on your device. After that, mash those buttons until your fingers bleed. You might even want to consider having a friend mash buttons while you sleep, because it won't matter you're protected against that very thing. The only help the OP needs with this is to change their approach to the subject ...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

...And this is what's wrong with with people who live in a bubble. Just because you and your friends never had an issue doesn't mean no oneness has. What I do with my devices is simple. I use them. Good to know you have had every device like many of us have and like any situation everyone is not always going to have the same experience. Your statement reeks of ignorance to someone's plight. Since you don't have a solution I restate the facts again Apple has changed the mechanism for the home button with every iPhone due to it failing at some point. So if facts aren't enough for you then that's just sad.

Nobody is living in a bubble...the truth is, the majority of consumers do not have this problem that you've encountered. Not sure what argument you're trying to make against the extremely large consumer base experience...this has nothing to do with singular cases of either side of the argument, the fact of the matter is that outside of the iPhone 5, which did have a very common power button issue reported, NONE of the other devices did, which should tell you two things...

- Your experience is very much an exception to the rule.
- You could probably stand to take a look at your own personal usage habits to see if maybe you are causing the issue with something you do yourself.

...I'm not telling you that your situation is absolutely, 100% your fault. What I represented was that most people who bought iPhones over the years did not experience this, begging the question of why Apple would change something that works perfectly for a VERY vast majority of the consumer base (we're talking staggering %'s here of probably close to 95-99%).

You're so hilariously defensive about this that it's hard to take you seriously, but in the attempt to try and garner some civil discussion about this, I'll pose this question to you...if you made a hammer, and you sold millions of them every year, and even 90% of the people who bought them never reported any issues with the hammer...would you completely redesign the hammer to meet the demands or complaints of such a tiny portion of the people who bought your hammer and ultimately had an issue of some sort? Especially if there was no evidence that the issues they were having were directly related to the design or development of it?

To clarify, I was being quite generous with the % of that theoretical situation there...Apple's satisfaction rating is probably a lot closer to 100% than 90%.

Also, stop taking things so personally...it's pointless to cry about how you personally use things and how you have the right to complain about this or that. We are all here in this community with our own experiences and opinions...if you don't like it when you get some conflicting replies, maybe you should refrain from posing such things in an open online forum.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

A faulty home button is a pretty common reason for warranty repairs or even replacements. I had my iPhone 4 replaced after 1.5 years, because the home button became unresponsive. It happens and it’s definitely one of the weak spots of the iPhone, aside from manufacturing errors.

I think the reason why Apple doesn’t provide the things you suggested is because they still believe in the home button and the ease of use associated with it. Apple often goes great lengths to make sure that the phone does what you would expect. Accidentally tapping the home button several times may lead to confusion. Four or five-finger gestures seem incredibly wonky. I have confidence that they’ve tested these scenarios multiple times and concluded that it currently works best. In addition, they’ve improved the mechanics of the home button over the years.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It happens and it’s definitely one of the weak spots of the iPhone, aside from manufacturing errors.

This is simply untrue. How do you define something as a "weak spot" if of the tens of millions of devices sold, less than 10% of them are reported for having such an issue? Calling something a "weak spot" would indicate that it is a common issue that is reported, and as stated before, that simply is not the case at all.

Think about the pure numbers for a second...tens of thousands of people came in or reported this issue, it's minuscule compared to the whole, and certainly not indicative of being called a "weak spot".

It'd be like calling an outbreak of some kind of disease, that effected 100 people amongst 100,000,000 people, an epidemic. Sure it sucks for the people who got it, and sure, it should be handled, but epidemic it is not.

AlexJ92

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

Not going to lie, when I had my original iPhone back in 2007, my home button became abit less responsive, but since the original I have had no issues at all.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

This is simply untrue. How do you define something as a "weak spot" if of the tens of millions of devices sold, less than 10% of them are reported for having such an issue? Calling something a "weak spot" would indicate that it is a common issue that is reported, and as stated before, that simply is not the case at all.

Think about the pure numbers for a second...tens of thousands of people came in or reported this issue, it's minuscule compared to the whole, and certainly not indicative of being called a "weak spot".

It'd be like calling an outbreak of some kind of disease, that effected 100 people amongst 100,000,000 people, an epidemic. Sure it sucks for the people who got it, and sure, it should be handled, but epidemic it is not.

“A faulty home button is a pretty common reason for warranty repairs or even replacements.” You may never have a hardware issue with your iPhone, but if you do, a faulty home button is a common occurrence.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

?A faulty home button is a pretty common reason for warranty repairs or even replacements.? You may never have a hardware issue with your iPhone, but if you do, a faulty home button is a common occurrence.

Is it more common than shattered displays or defective batteries of which I *think* are probably the top two repair issues?

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Is it more common than shattered displays or defective batteries of which I *think* are probably the top two repair issues?

No, but did I say that? Anyway, shattered glass is mostly a user fault, whereas faulty batteries are perhaps among the most common defects in electronic devices generally. Specific to Apple, however, is a faulty home button. It has been causing issues since the first iPhone and has been a weak spot ever since. In my country, Apple replaces a faulty home button outside of Apple Care without any problems, they even replaced my entire phone. They are not as forthcoming with other defects, including faulty batteries beyond AppleCare (they charge you for replacements even if you’re entitled to get it replaced under warranty). It’s legit to ask why Apple hasn’t done anything to minimise the usage of the home button, especially since the iPad does have some unique gestures, which should also work on the larger iPhones now.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can I get some help saving my Power Key & Home Key?

No, but did I say that? Anyway, shattered glass is mostly a user fault, whereas faulty batteries are perhaps among the most common defects in electronic devices generally. Specific to Apple, however, is a faulty home button. It has been causing issues since the first iPhone and has been a weak spot ever since. In my country, Apple replaces a faulty home button outside of Apple Care without any problems, they even replaced my entire phone. They are not as forthcoming with other defects, including faulty batteries beyond AppleCare (they charge you for replacements even if you?re entitled to get it replaced under warranty). It?s legit to ask why Apple hasn?t done anything to minimise the usage of the home button, especially since the iPad does have some unique gestures, which should also work on the larger iPhones now.

You seem to feel as if everyone hates using the home button or that everyone seeks to rid the iPhone of it, and that is far from being true. Sure, it's okay to ask Apple to create a device with no home button or to create one where the home button is used less, however, to use a few instances where people have had faulty home buttons doesn't make it a widespread problem nor is it enough proof that Apple should do away with it. To also say that Apple is not forthcoming about other defects insinuates that you have proof that they are hiding something. Please share that proof if you have it. As it stands, the home button is part of the iPhone's design and there are some people whose home buttons have been defective. There are some people whose batteries have been defective. There are some people whose iOS installation has been corrupted, yet, the sum of some is minuscule. In regard to "common", I'll just say that it may be common in some places and almost nonexistent in others...;)

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

No, but did I say that? Anyway, shattered glass is mostly a user fault, whereas faulty batteries are perhaps among the most common defects in electronic devices generally. Specific to Apple, however, is a faulty home button. It has been causing issues since the first iPhone and has been a weak spot ever since. In my country, Apple replaces a faulty home button outside of Apple Care without any problems, they even replaced my entire phone. They are not as forthcoming with other defects, including faulty batteries beyond AppleCare (they charge you for replacements even if you?re entitled to get it replaced under warranty). It?s legit to ask why Apple hasn?t done anything to minimise the usage of the home button, especially since the iPad does have some unique gestures, which should also work on the larger iPhones now.

Dude it's not a weak spot. Tell me why I've had:
Original iPhone,3GS,4S,5S,6 Plus and iPad 2 and never had a faulty home button.
Home button still works perfectly on my Original iPhone.
Or am I just lucky and have purchased good idevices out of hundreds of millions and never got a bad home button.
This tells me the home button is a sound mechanism.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

No, but did I say that? Anyway, shattered glass is mostly a user fault, whereas faulty batteries are perhaps among the most common defects in electronic devices generally. Specific to Apple, however, is a faulty home button. It has been causing issues since the first iPhone and has been a weak spot ever since. In my country, Apple replaces a faulty home button outside of Apple Care without any problems, they even replaced my entire phone. They are not as forthcoming with other defects, including faulty batteries beyond AppleCare (they charge you for replacements even if you’re entitled to get it replaced under warranty). It’s legit to ask why Apple hasn’t done anything to minimise the usage of the home button, especially since the iPad does have some unique gestures, which should also work on the larger iPhones now.

Four words: Put. Down. The. Shovel.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

You seem to feel as if everyone hates using the home button or that everyone seeks to rid the iPhone of it, and that is far from being true. Sure, it's okay to ask Apple to create a device with no home button or to create one where the home button is used less, however, to use a few instances where people have had faulty home buttons doesn't make it a widespread problem nor is it enough proof that Apple should do away with it. To also say that Apple is not forthcoming about other defects insinuates that you have proof that they are hiding something. Please share that proof if you have it. As it stands, the home button is part of the iPhone's design and there are some people whose home buttons have been defective. There are some people whose batteries have been defective. There are some people whose iOS installation has been corrupted, yet, the sum of some minuscule. In regard to "common", I'll just say that it may be common in some places and almost nonexistent in others...;)

I love the home button, I don’t want it to go. I don’t know why anyone here thinks that I advocate replacing or even removing it, because I don’t. This topic is about the option to use additional controls to avoid using the home button in all cases as we have to do now. I can understand why the OP would make that suggestion. Heavy usage of the home button, especially if you’re a ‘multitasker’, can happen and it can be a problem for you down the road.

Dude it's not a weak spot. Tell me why I've had:
Original iPhone,3GS,4S,5S,6 Plus and iPad 2 and never had a faulty home button.
Home button still works perfectly on my Original iPhone.
Or am I just lucky and have purchased good idevices out of hundreds of millions and never got a bad home button.
This tells me the home button is a sound mechanism.

That you never had a hardware defect is great for you, but I never said (and please do read my post again) that many users have a faulty home button. What I said is that if you do have a hardware issue, the home button is likely to be among them, next to shattered screens and of course faulty batteries. It stands to reason that Apple would have something to gain by removing the home button if they seek to reduce hardware issues. Again, not saying that they should do it.

Four words: Put. Down. The. Shovel.

I guess I like to live dangerously.

––*

I have said what I wanted to say anyway. I’m not going to have an argument about this.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I love the home button, I don?t want it to go. I don?t know why anyone here thinks that I advocate replacing or even removing it, because I don?t.
You stated, "Specific to Apple, however, is a faulty home button. It has been causing issues since the first iPhone and has been a weak spot ever since".
This topic is about the option to use additional controls to avoid using the home button in all cases as we have to do now.
That statement does not scream "I love the home button" or "I don't want it to go".
I can understand why the OP would make that suggestion.
Agreed
Heavy usage of the home button, especially if you?re a ?multitasker?, can happen and it can be a problem for you down the road.
This is true. It "can" be a problem and it "is" a problem for "some" people, but again, "some" does not equate to "everyone". Keep in mind that some of the replies are in regard to specific comments within the thread and not necessarily in regard to the thread topic. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

“A faulty home button is a pretty common reason for warranty repairs or even replacements.” You may never have a hardware issue with your iPhone, but if you do, a faulty home button is a common occurrence.

That makes absolutely no sense. I've had every iteration of iPhone since the beginning...only one of them had a power button issue (iPhone 5), and once replaced, I never had the issue again. This, by definition, negates what you just said.

Common indicates a regular issue that effects a large portion of the users of said product...this simply has not happened on any other iPhone besides the 5, and even then, it was still a relatively small % of the whole.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

I had an iPhone 5 that the power button went bad. Got it replaced under warranty. I did read recently that Apple is extending warranty replacements for the power button on iPhone 5's. Obviously there was an issue. Luckily no issues on my 6 or now my 6 Plus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox