Just got a 16GB iPhone Plus... should I return it?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Again, I really think it sucks that Apple left 16gb instead of 32gb. I can't imagine what anyone can do with such a big phone with only 16gb. Very boring.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
That is what ultimately made me decide to get the 64gb version this time around. So many people with 16gb devices were having problems upgrading to iOS8 because of lack of space. I was not one of them, but with apps getting bigger I knew it was a potential problem in the future. It is definitely worth the extra $100 IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you choose a program like AT&T next , t-mobile financing , Verizon edge or sprints leasing or easy pay its only a few dollars more per upgrade in capacity.

I was going to lease a iPhone 6 plus with sprint the 64gb which was $30 a month but saw online the 128gb is $35 so I went after that instead for only $5 more a month.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
And if you choose a program like AT&T next , t-mobile financing , Verizon edge or sprints leasing or easy pay its only a few dollars more per upgrade in capacity.

I was going to lease a iPhone 6 plus with sprint the 64gb which was $30 a month but saw online the 128gb is $35 so I went after that instead for only $5 more a month.

For T-Mobile a 16gb version is $0 down, and you just pay taxes. For the 64gb version it is $99+taxes. So for me it was an easy decision. Either way the iPhone 6 plus is $31 a month. The 128gb version is $199+ taxes. I don't need that much space so I didn't even need to consider that.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
For T-Mobile a 16gb version is $0 down, and you just pay taxes. For the 64gb version it is $99+taxes. So for me it was an easy decision. Either way the iPhone 6 plus is $31 a month. The 128gb version is $199+ taxes. I don't need that much space so I didn't even need to consider that.

Forgot they do that ...I know with AT&T , sprint and Verizon it's $0 down still worth it imo to get the 64 gb at least

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Personally I could never use 16gb phone. I have 19gb of music on my phone. If I only had 16gb would I need all that space? Probably not. I'd find a way to make due but I'd rather not worry about it.

jdlnmia

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Return it and pay the $100 extra to get to 64GB. I mean, $100 isn't a lot of money these days and it makes a big difference when you are trying to update your OS later on...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Return it and get a bigger SKU (64GB). You shouldn't buy devices thinking about NOW. You should buy for the future, and in the future you never know how your use cases will change. Storage is the one thing I don't recommend anyone skimp on, especially with how big mobile apps/games are getting these days.

$100 is worth it, because any other solutions you can come up with if you end up needing more storage will probably cost at least that much or more.

I say the same thing to people who buy the 6 but worry about the battery life compared to the 6 Plus. By the time you put a battery case on that thing, it will be about as big as a 6 Plus, and carrying around an external battery pack is more annoying than using what you may consider a "big phone."

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The obvious solution to that would be to put off getting a new phone for a few more weeks until you can afford the better deal, which is obviously/clearly the 64GB SKU of any of Apple's newer devices or Tablets.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The obvious solution to that would be to put off getting a new phone for a few more weeks until you can afford the better deal, which is obviously/clearly the 64GB SKU of any of Apple's newer devices or Tablets.

Eh it isn't for some people though. If you don't need a lot of apps, don't listen to music or listens to streaming all the time because you have unlimited data or t-mobile where it's free, or saves photos to iCloud or some other cloud service then the saving of a few dollars per month or $100 or so up front is worth it to those people.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't know I think lots of people would of still paid the 100.00 for the jump from 32 to 64 personally and I think they would have sold just as many 32 as the 16

Idk, its a lot harder a sell when 32gb is the base, because most could get away with just that and not needing 64gb for an extra $100.

ypmaiya

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I opted for 64 GB version and I think even you should exchange it. HD videos and slow mo videos eat up a lot of space. And with the bigger screen of 6 Plus, you will be tempted to add movies and videos into your phone. Better to have free space than struggle with no space.

manni1to

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 16 gb version as well and am hoping it's enough space. I don't put music on my phone though because I use and pay for spotify. I think that will help me save quite a bit of space.

Peach1

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I ended up exchanging my 16 GB for the 64GB version. However, I am a bit worrried since some of the apps crashed on the new phone (Safari and Weather). Will updating the iOS fix this??

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 16 gb version as well and am hoping it's enough space. I don't put music on my phone though because I use and pay for spotify. I think that will help me save quite a bit of space.

I pay for Google music and download the music whenever I'm on the train

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I didn't realize downloading the spotify playlists actually takes up space on the phone ! Does it not do this with Google music ?

? How is it different then buying music ... Just because you purchase spotify don't mean it don't take up space ....

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Eh it isn't for some people though. If you don't need a lot of apps, don't listen to music or listens to streaming all the time because you have unlimited data or t-mobile where it's free, or saves photos to iCloud or some other cloud service then the saving of a few dollars per month or $100 or so up front is worth it to those people.

Except Data doesn't work when you don't have a decent signal, and if you're on T-Mobile, that's in a lot of places (nb4 obligatory "it's great wherever I go!").

Additionally, like I said in the other post you didn't quote, you don't know how your use cases will change in the near future. A lot of people got 16GB phones, 16GB Phones with No SD Card, phones with mediocre cameras, phones missing certain sensors etc. because they didn't need it now and then found themselves wanting in 8-12 months because of it.

Someone worrying about a $100 for more storage is likely to be stuck with a device that wasn't future proof enough for their growing/changing needs in a year because those are the people that are least likely to upgrade on a yearly basis to begin with.

The OP can get whatever they want or keep whatever they want. No one really is obligated to justify their decisions to strangers on a forum.

But the 16GB SKUs really are a bad value proposition given the price o the 64GB this go around. Apple made it that way, on purpose, to move people to bigger storage devices so that their needs adapt to the higher storage (instead of settling for less) and they are tethered to the higher storage devices moving forwards.

Their intent is not consumer-friendly, but the way they have worked the pricing, it just doesn't make much sense to go with 16GB over 64GB just to save $100.

It's as simple as I said it was. Wait a couple or few more weeks and scrape together $100, get the 64GB phone and move on. The only time it isn't that simple is if you are lacking in patience.

jdlnmia

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
It's about average revenue per unit sold. Apple knew that the vast majority of users would have gone for the base model if it would have been 32GB Instead of 16GB. It has effectively migrated those users that MUST have at least 32GB to the 64GB tier at a $100 premium. As a stockholder, I love this.

As a consumer, I am the worst since I always buy the highest capacity to not have to worry about space. I do realize the dreadful return on resale compared to the base I devices but I think this time around the 64GB will hold the most value. It is eminently more usable than the 16GB model, which will run into space issues come iOS update time with a modest media and app library on board.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73