Who's doing Qi charging on the 6/6+?

cptlo306

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I just got a 6+ a few days ago and have the following that seems to work OK. I have only charged it a couple times so far as I'm not using it fully yet until I get it unlocked.

Nokia DT-900 Charging plate (had this already for use with a Lumia 1520)
Qi-infinity Ultra Thin 0.5mm wireless charger receiver module chip for Apple iPhone 6 Plus +
Melkco Flip Leather Case - Jacka Type

I can't post links yet both the receiver module and case are available at Amazon. I use a similar case on the Lumia 1520 and charging works through it as well.

Bpschoon81

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I just got a 6+ a few days ago and have the following that seems to work OK. I have only charged it a couple times so far as I'm not using it fully yet until I get it unlocked.

Nokia DT-900 Charging plate (had this already for use with a Lumia 1520)
Qi-infinity Ultra Thin 0.5mm wireless charger receiver module chip for Apple iPhone 6 Plus +
Melkco Flip Leather Case - Jacka Type

I can't post links yet both the receiver module and case are available at Amazon. I use a similar case on the Lumia 1520 and charging works through it as well.

I have the same set up but with the Apple leather case. Works well

Posted via the iMore App for Android

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I also bought a case from eBay with included charger. Only charged my phone ones and I got a fault messages that said "not supported accessorie". Used the case with my Samsung qi charger but was concerned if it would damage my iPhone? Is it safe to use qi charger with iPhone?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me...but this seems so pointless. You have to put your device in this strange looking case to take advantage of wireless charging, which still requires you to place the phone down in a specific spot to charge it.

Why not just use a cord? It's not like this is more convenient or anything, and you don't have to install the strange looking cases to boot.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me...but this seems so pointless. You have to put your device in this strange looking case to take advantage of wireless charging, which still requires you to place the phone down in a specific spot to charge it.

Why not just use a cord? It's not like this is more convenient or anything, and you don't have to install the strange looking cases to boot.

Of course it's more convenient to just put down your phone and it will start to charge. Without to use any cord. Today there is bed tables that's contain qi charger. I use qi charging both on my bed table and in my car with my Samsung S6 and it's great to don't have to fipple with cables. That's why I want to use qi on my iPhone too.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's more convenient to just put down your phone and it will start to charge. Without to use any cord. Today there is bed tables that's contain qi charger. I use qi charging both on my bed table and in my car with my Samsung S6 and it's great to don't have to fipple with cables. That's why I want to use qi on my iPhone too.

So the .05642 seconds saved that it takes to plug a cord into it is that much more convenient? lol...like I said, maybe it's just me, but the fact that you still have to place your device in a certain area for it to charge, and the fact that it stops charging when you lift it up off of said place (unlike when it's connected to a wire, where I can use it and it will still charge) hardly seems like a convenience...especially with those cases you have to use.

Different strokes for different folks though I guess.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site

Exactly!

I never use my phone and charge it at the same time. I charge my phone when I go to sleep and at this point it's easy to just put it down and it will charge. Same thing in my car, just put it in my car holder and it will charge. All the cables are hidden so it's clean and nice.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So the .05642 seconds saved that it takes to plug a cord into it is that much more convenient? lol...like I said, maybe it's just me, but the fact that you still have to place your device in a certain area for it to charge, and the fact that it stops charging when you lift it up off of said place (unlike when it's connected to a wire, where I can use it and it will still charge) hardly seems like a convenience...especially with those cases you have to use.

I'm with you, Sean. I just don't see the advantage over using the cord, minus aesthetics.

cptlo306

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

It's certainly a little easier. And I'd be using the same case anyway (I've bought this same case for pretty much every phone I've had over the last few years).

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Sean, not all cases are funny looking. You can put the receiver under nearly any case.

As stated before, I think, some are like me... I am moving from an android phone (Nexus 5) that came equipped with wireless charging. Devices with microusb ports are well known for the ports wearing out.

I already have multiple Qi pads around the house. My sons phone also has wireless charging. So why not take advantage of it?

I agree the iPhone's lightning charging is much better, and stouter, than microUSB but I still like laying the phone down on the pad and it charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpschoon81

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

You don't have to use a special case. My 6+ charges with the apple leather case. The qi wafer underneath adds no perceptible bulk. Once you've had wireless charging you never want to go back. It's really that much more convenient

Posted via the iMore App for Android

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I mean if you're already invested in the tech, by all means take advantage of it...I'm not saying anyone is wrong for using it, I just don't see it as a very useful feature since I prefer to be able to use my device while it is being charged, and to me, the fact it has to sit in a stationary place while charging (flat) doesn't really lend itself to being extremely convenient in my opinion.

It's good to know there are options that don't require a case, but in my opinion, it just seems gimmicky.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro