Is my Iphone 6+ bent?

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
A close reading of the Verge article he states that it has been in a pants pocket both front and back, jacket packet or in a bag. Elsewhere in the article he mentions that here is a noticeable dent in the phone (in addition to the bend) which would leave me to believe it has had other damage from a drop or something. And he even admits he has probably dropped the phone although he said he didn't think the drops had caused any damage.

In the Verge article he states he doesn't discriminate between front and back pockets. He used both.

I honestly don’t care what The Verge reporter did or did not do with their iPhone. What caused the bending in their case may not have had anything to do with the matter here. Again: the OP said that they didn’t put it in a trouser pocket, but only a messenger bag.

I don’t understand why some users here bring a distrusting undertone into this thread, as if the OP were about to insult someone’s grandmother or criticise a deity. All I see is a concrete problem with the OP’s phone and a request for information and help to avoid the issue in the future.

I think that a strong(er) case should conceal the flaw and prevent further damage best, whatever the cause for the initial bending. Apple’s products have hardware flaws and it’s rarely nice to get one yourself.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I honestly don’t care what The Verge reporter did or did not do with their iPhone. What caused the bending in their case may not have had anything to do with the matter here. Again: the OP said that they didn’t put it in a trouser pocket, but only a messenger bag.

I don’t understand why some users here bring a distrusting undertone into this thread, as if the OP were about to insult someone’s grandmother or criticise a deity. All I see is a concrete problem with the OP’s phone and a request for information and help to avoid the issue in the future.

I think that a strong(er) case should conceal the flaw and prevent further damage best, whatever the cause for the initial bending. Apple’s products have hardware flaws and it’s rarely nice to get one yourself.

Alright "Super Save'em All" who's cape is flapping in the wind as they stand on their pedestal of justice. I stand by my statement that whatever happened to this iPhone is still on the OP. If it was damaged out the box I gaurantee that the OP would've been back to Apple that day, instead the OP is claiming that an American Apple Store can not fix a iPhone purchased in Japan doesn't that stand out to you?

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of the why and how... Phones go in pockets, bags, holsters, cases etc. Real world use most people put a case and screen protector on their phone and put it in their purse or front/back pocket. To say that someone sitting down with their phone in their front pocket is at fault when the phone bends is ridiculous. It's to be expected that a phone will wind up in a pocket. Otherwise the iPhone would ship with some protective holster. They are made to be used case and screen protector free. How are you supposed to carry it so it doesn't get bent or dropped then? The way most of you talk I should have just bought the phone and left it in my safe at home because it's unreasonable for me to expect my phone to stay in good condition in my pocket. How dare I buy a personal cell phone and expect it not to hold up to normal wear and tear. What am I thinking...

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I offered no criticism to the OP. The link I posted the user states they don't know how it got bent then says in the last line he says maybe I shouldn't put it in my back pocket which means he sits on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting your phone in your back pocket DOES NOT mean you sit on it. I keep my phones in my back pocket but I never forget I have a $600+ device in my pocket and sit on it. ...at least I haven't yet and I'm certainly no smarter or more mentally attendant than most.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
If I put my phone in my pocket whether it's in a case or not if I do believe that I can feel it in my pocket, honestly when I'm at the point where I can feel the phone it may be time for me to take it out my pocket. iPhones do not just bend from being in a pocket, I see people trying to justify "wear and tear" by covering up carelessness. I work in a warehouse and I know that if I keep my phone in my pocket and keep bumping into inanimate objects my phone will sustain some damage. So if I clearly can understand how my normal routine can cause damage to my device how is this a flaw and Apples fault?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Putting your phone in your back pocket DOES NOT mean you sit on it. I keep my phones in my back pocket but I never forget I have a $600+ device in my pocket and sit on it. ...at least I haven't yet and I'm certainly no smarter or more mentally attendant than most.

Well the guy Dan in the Verge said "Maybe I shouldn't put it in my back pocket" Why?
He said it not me.
I don't put anything in my back except paper. I stopped carrying a wallet in my back pocket because my CC cards and bank cards were bending.
A person can put their phone in any pocket they choose. If in moment of forgetfulness its in their back pocket this may happen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/bend-breakgate-beware-t2958252

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well the guy Dan in the Verge said "Maybe I shouldn't put it in my back pocket" Why?
He said it not me.
I don't put anything in my back except paper. I stopped carrying a wallet in my back pocket because my CC cards and bank cards were bending.
A person can put their phone in any pocket they choose. If in moment of forgetfulness its in their back pocket this may happen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/bend-breakgate-beware-t2958252

Forgetfulness, kinda like forgetting your kid is in the back seat when you go shopping and leaving them in the car. Yeah, people have done it.

caymangt4

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I am somewhat disappointed with apple products. I had an htc one m7 before the 6+ and throughout my nearly 2 years of ownership it didn't bend at all, it spend all its time in tight pockets and not one single bent. As many of you may know this phone is also constructed with an aluminum shell. I became very cautious and paranoid after buying the 6+ as I heard many horror stories of it bending easily in the pocket so I got bought one of the highest rated case and never left the phone in my pockets. Also for some odd reason, when I rad my serial number at the apple warranty coverage site it shows that my phone has coverage in the states. I'm confused now, isn't the warranty for the iphone only valid at the country it was originally purchased?

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My thought is this, I frequent Android Central up the street too. I simply don't recall seeing any posts about phones bending and I don't believe I'm intentionally numb to such because I'm at AC. I haven't seen any threads about Note 4's, Note Edges, G3's, S5's or other phones bending. Now, I'm told here that the reason I see those threads here is because of the media. ...I'm not here to argue, I realize that I'm at an Apple forum and I have a 6+ myself. ...but I can't help but be skeptical that there is indeed more to this whole phone-bending thing than just the media sensationalizing the issue because it relates to Apple. With that said I'm going to try to leave it alone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My thought is this, I frequent Android Central up the street too. I simply don't recall seeing any posts about phones bending and I don't believe I'm intentionally numb to such because I'm at AC. I haven't seen any threads about Note 4's, Note Edges, G3's, S5's or other phones bending. Now, I'm told here that the reason I see those threads here is because of the media. ...I'm not here to argue, I realize that I'm at an Apple forum and I have a 6+ myself. ...but I can't help but be skeptical that there is indeed more to this whole phone-bending thing than just the media sensationalizing the issue because it relates to Apple. With that said I'm going to try to leave it alone.

But notice that the OP's phone isn't bent (that's how I see it). He wouldn't even wonder to ask or pursue crowd sourced affirmation that it is bent had it not been a sensationalized story. That's what makes the Android Central comparison irrelevant.

Last edited:

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

It's pretty common to see bending complaints on all phones made out of aluminum, or with aluminum frame. I've seen several complaints with HTC One and Xperia Z3. There was also quite a few complaints about the iPhone 5 too, but not nearly as many as what we are seeing now with the 6 and 6+. I think many people assume that phones made out of metal are more durable than phones made with cheaper materials, which leads them to believe that it's safe to put it in a tight pants pocket without risk of damage. Unfortunately, these people are wrong. Aluminum phones should definitely be handled with care and common sense, especially in a time when phone sizes are getting larger while pants are getting tighter. I know there's at least two or three pairs of jeans I don't wear anymore since getting the iPhone 6.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty common to see bending complaints on all phones made out of aluminum, or with aluminum frame. I've seen several complaints with HTC One and Xperia Z3. There was also quite a few complaints about the iPhone 5 too, but not nearly as many as what we are seeing now with the 6 and 6+. I think many people assume that phones made out of metal are more durable than phones made with cheaper materials, which leads them to believe that it's safe to put it in a tight pants pocket without risk of damage. Unfortunately, these people are wrong. Aluminum phones should definitely be handled with care and common sense, especially in a time when phone sizes are getting larger while pants are getting tighter. I know there's at least two or three pairs of jeans I don't wear anymore since getting the iPhone 6.

I will not argue that. However, if that is the case why use aluminum without bracing it? I really do believe the 6s and 6s+ will be less susceptible to bending.

caymangt4

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I would like to add that my phone does not wobble with the screen facing down like many others do. However, my screen is loose around the volume buttons area, so I made an appointment online to bring it in so a apple genius representative can take a look at it. I'm starting to believe that my iphone 6+ came defective from the factory, with the aluminum body being made slightly curved.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I really hope the next iPhone is not any more susceptible to bending than the iPhone 4/4s.

here's a short anecdote (because it's generally the ones with bad experiences that take to social media):
The other day I went to the gym with my iPhone6, no case or anything, and while I sat on a mat I had put on the floor and tried to balance an additional 45kg weight before lying flat I realised there was this odd little bump right under my behind, under the mat. Didn't really bother me, I moved around a little so I could ignore that bump. Then (I had my headphones in) Siri went off and it struck me that I just activated Siri with my ultra ripped bum (sorry for the imagery), sitting on the homebutton. I tossed the weight away, jumped off the mat and cursed loudly, expecting at least a shattered screen, let alone having a dent in my phone or bent it. Needless to say I found it unscathed. Not the slightest bend, nothing. I would almost certainly have destroyed my iPhone5 with that. So there. It's as rigid as a device of that size/material/ergonomics should be, in fact it exceeded my expectations. This waffling about bending really needs to come to an end. (having said that, I can't wait for the first S6 examinations. I think they deserve the same scrutiny).

Last edited:

caymangt4

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Just an update: went to the my local apple store again and they replaced my 6+ with no questions asked, they apologized for the previous experience I had with the other employee saying she might be lacking experience. They offered me applecare+ for half price at $50 and I accepted, the manager also gave me a free thunderbolt to usb cable that is longer then the supplied one at no charge. Turns out that the iphone 6+ I purchased in Japan is factory unlocked, therefore my phone has international warranty. So the myth of unlocked iphone purchased overseas not having international warranty is false! They told me that the only iphones not eligible for international warranty would be the ones locked to a specific carrier for that country, like China for example.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Just an update: went to the my local apple store again and they replaced my 6+ with no questions asked, they apologized for the previous experience I had with the other employee saying she might be lacking experience. They offered me applecare+ for half price at $50 and I accepted, the manager also gave me a free thunderbolt to usb cable that is longer then the supplied one at no charge. Turns out that the iphone 6+ I purchased in Japan is factory unlocked, therefore my phone has international warranty. So the myth of unlocked iphone purchased overseas not having international warranty is false! They told me that the only iphones not eligible for international warranty would be the ones locked to a specific carrier for that country, like China for example.

Wow. Excellent.

caymangt4

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. My replacement phone is straight as an arrow. They actually had me keep my old box and only transferred the phones. Here are some pics and the work order receipt. I had to block out the usual stuff for my privacy lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods