iPhone 6 Plus bent.... Now what?

adrianeddington

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Purchased my phone shortly after launch, immediately purchased a couple of cases for protection. I'm very cautious with all devices, especially with a brand new one. I've never dropped the phone, and have been overly careful with it especially after all the hype about "bendgate"... Long story short, the other day I noticed something off about my phone while it was still in the case. After closer inspection I noticed a very slight curve around the volume keys. I was thinking about taking the device into the Apple Store for inspection, but don't know if even worth it (didn't purchase Apple Care).

adrianeddington

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
iMoreAppImg_20150225_184933.jpg

Forgot the pic.

And for the record, I don't wear skinny jeans or carry the phone in my back pocket. Honestly I don't know how this happened or what I can do to prevent it from worsening or occurring again in the future 😩

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
This sounds really dumb but I thought I bent my 6 plus as well cause when in a certain case it doesn't sit flat on the table it rocks. But when I switched cases it lays perfectly flat. Also if u lay it on a table on its back outside of a case the camera may cause it to look bent cause it sticks out away from the phone.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok scratch my post. Sorry I wrote it before I saw u posted the pic. I'd take it to an Apple Store and see what they say. Worst they will do is tell u they can't do anything.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 77987

Forgot the pic.

And for the record, I don't wear skinny jeans or carry the phone in my back pocket. Honestly I don't know how this happened or what I can do to prevent it from worsening or occurring again in the future

I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that the phone bent by itself. Anyway, you can try convincing the people at a nearby Apple Store to swap it out. As stated above, they'll either swap it out for free or swap it out at a cost.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...what do you mean "Now what"? You bent your phone...you can go ask for a replacement, and because Apple is an amazing customer service focused company, they'll probably give you one, and then you'll probably bend that one too and you'll come complaining about how it bent for "no reason" as well.

I hold my phone in my front pocket all the time...it hasn't bent...because the device has no "bending problem".

I swear I thought this horse was long decomposed and gone. It appears we have some late comers here with their sticks.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Take it to the Apple Store. They don't want any bad publicity and seem to be swapping out bent phones.

manni1to

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Take it to the Apple Store. They don't want any bad publicity and seem to be swapping out bent phones.

This is very true. I took mine in last week and had it swapped out because it was also bent. Apple does have great customer service. Good luck!

adrianeddington

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and ultimately they'll determine what happens next.

As far as convincing anyone that the phone bent itself, that's not the intent of my post. Of course the phone didn't bend itself, my frustration is that I treated the device with what considered extreme care and it was still damaged...apparently it's much more delicate than I thought.

Regardless of if it's free or with a fee, I will receive a new phone soon enough. Bigger picture, I'm more concerned with how to avoid this situation reoccurring in the future so it's not an ongoing situation.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and ultimately they'll determine what happens next.
Good

As far as convincing anyone that the phone bent itself, that's not the intent of my post. Of course the phone didn't bend itself, my frustration is that I treated the device with what considered extreme care and it was still damaged...apparently it's much more delicate than I thought.
I understand, but nowhere in your initial post did you take responsibility for bending your iPhone. In fact, you worded it in a manner that gave the impression that it bent on its own because you were super careful with it.

Regardless of if it's free or with a fee, I will receive a new phone soon enough. Bigger picture, I'm more concerned with how to avoid this situation reoccurring in the future so it's not an ongoing situation.
That's easy. Don't do what you did to cause it to bend in the first place AND stop making it seem as if the device is super fragile when it is not. It takes a bit of effort to bend the iPhone 6 Plus, but it, like anything else, is not indestructible.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Taking responsibility for bending your iPhone? This thread should be joined with the "I don't want anything thicker to add to battery life thread." Can anyone here name me another phone in the history of phones with a bending problem?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Taking responsibility for bending your iPhone? This thread should be joined with the "I don't want anything thicker to add to battery life thread." Can anyone here name me another phone in the history of phones with a bending problem?

Sure. That would be any phone where enough pressure has been applied. Fortunately, there are people who have bent their mobile devices in the past but took responsibility for it and didn't go around blaming the company for something they themselves did. No, the OP didn't directly blame Apple for his phone bending. Having said that, you seem to think my response was in defense of Apple. Wrong! Samsung, HTC, Blackberry, Microsoft, etcetera could have made the device as far as I'm concerned, and none of those companies bent that phone. Period!

Last edited:

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 77987

Forgot the pic.

And for the record, I don't wear skinny jeans or carry the phone in my back pocket. Honestly I don't know how this happened or what I can do to prevent it from worsening or occurring again in the future 😩

That bend hmmm ok I'll be the bad guy and say it, you clearly sat on that phone. Look at the bend its in the shape of an ***, and you say something looks a little off about the phone when it was in the case lol, hell Stevie Wonder could see that bend and it don't take CSI to see it got bent from being sat on. I have a otterbox symmetry as well as a black apple leather case, and guess what ... no bends. I'm a short guy with huge *** basketball hands my hands are probably bigger than MKBHD's and I've tried to apply slight pressure to the 6+ to see if it bends and I can say it will take a lot of force to do so. If I were you I'd go to Apple and just tell them what really happened they will probably player you up with a phone at a small price.

adrianeddington

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Good

I understand, but nowhere in your initial post did you take responsibility for bending your iPhone. In fact, you worded it in a manner that gave the impression that it bent on its own because you were super careful with it.

That's easy. Don't do what you did to cause it to bend in the first place AND stop making it seem as if the device is super fragile when it is not. It takes a bit of effort to bend the iPhone 6 Plus, but it, like anything else, is not indestructible.

I used the phrase "long story short" because I didn't feel like typing out along detailed response on my phone. I didn't include anything about responsibility because I assumed that's a given right? The moment I left the store with the phone in my possession, I'm responsible for everything that happens to it last that point. If that's how some people interpret my initial post, then perhaps in the future I'll make sure to include as much details as possible...no problem.

As far as the phone being super fragile, I can only speak from experience the same way that everyone does. Those aren't my words, but I have experienced a situation where I have damaged my device unintentionally. I have taken preventive measures to keep it safe like keeping the phone in a case, I carry it around in my pocket while walking, I take it out of my pocket while sitting, things like that. Maybe carrying it a certain why is the problem, maybe it's the leather case as opposed to the Otterbox that's the issue...I honestly don't know, but this is what I'm currently trying to figure out. I chose to share my story because maybe someone else has have had similar experiences which I can learn from.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Sony Xperia
87874a7b722ada16744fb6e3e8141d7c.jpg
4c8b33612b8f701efe134c26feb06c52.jpg

HTC M8
ef6702ad1fbdd77c30991946899a4c3d.jpg

4f21967892bab6d08058131c330929ce.jpg

Nexus 6 with Battery Swell
643b4e574a838e9f971ecf16adbfee61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts