Some thoughts on the phone after a month

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I've owned the iPhone 6 plus for about a month or so now and I wanted to share some thoughts and maybe get your feedback.

The phone I own is a 64gb space gray model. I'm using it in a speck cans she'll grip.

Overal I think the phone is very good. I enjoy using it and the screen is great. however, there are some concerns i have over this device.

First of all, I dont know if this is the hardware, ios 8, some broken thing on my phone or what, but this is probaly the buggiest iphone ive owned. Im getting app crashes, safari reloads, stutters, and a number of other things. It dosent happen enough to really be something I can replicate at will, but ill see it throughtout my day. I already took it to apple and they said there wasnt anything wrong with the hardware that they could see, so this has to be software related or something. I wonder if I got a phone with that faulty nand flash storage? I brought that up to the genius bar and they didnt really know what I was talking about.

secondly, im finding that im bumping the phone more often then my 5S. probaly due to its large size. but its liek when I have it out I can occasionaly bump it against objects that are around me. also, I already accidently dropped a nexus table on the screen when trying to multitask on both. it didnt crack or anything, so i think all is good. this is something only I can control though, but its still annoying.

Third, I really wish apps would update to support landscape mode better. alot of times the extra screen space isnt used properly.

also, my phone appears to be bent free, which is good.

Battery is fantastic though. way better than the moto x I had before this.

Have you had similar experiences with your 6 plus? how has your experince been?

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having any app crash issues. I've had some crash on occasion but that's what apps do on occasion.
The majority of the apps I use are updated. There are a some that are not but its not a issue for me.
I've bumped my phone a few times but with a case on. For me it's not the size of the phone it's that I don't look before I leap on occasion.
I haven't experienced any real buggy behavior since the 1st version of iOS 7 on my old 5S.
All in all my 6 Plus experience has great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not having any app crash issues. I've had some crash on occasion but that's what apps do on occasion.
The majority of the apps I use are updated. There are a some that are not but its not a issue for me.
I've bumped my phone a few times but with a case on. For me it's not the size of the phone it's that I don't look before I leap on occasion.
I haven't experienced any real buggy behavior since the 1st version of iOS 7 on my old 5S.
All in all my 6 Plus experience has great.

The crashes aren't all the time. There Speratic.

As far as my touch issues, I assume it's something that the touch screen would either work or not. That's what the genius at the Apple Store said anyway.

It just seems like there's these little speratic hitches and chugs that I didn't see in past versions of iOS or my 5S. I'm not sure if my 5S had these issues or not. It just seems a little less stable over all.

Again, I don't know if that band flash storage issue thing is a real thing or not. I don't think my phone would have that anyway because it was only a issue with unitary released 6 and 6 plus phones. And I got my phone in January from ATT.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
If you go looking for something wrong, you're sure to find something wrong. I would seriously consider doing something about your ocd, since this is an Internet forum and you come off as "nitpicky" I can only imagine your struggle in your normal life. Not trying to be a **** but it's bad man.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine since launch day and absolutely no complaints. Great battery life, beautiful screen, great camera and runs super smooth. I could go on and on but you get the point. I could never get bored with this thing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My experience has been nothing but fantastic with the 6 Plus. Still using the same one I bought on launch day.

Same here. The only issue I've had was in regard to receiving notifications via the Tapatalk app, but after having iTunes install a fresh copy of iOS 8.1.3, all was well.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@RavenSword, as already have been stated, try reinstalling iOS. It's quite possible that you have a bad/corrupt installation. It happens. Also, make sure you are using apps that are optimized for the iPhone 6 Plus. As for you bumping into things with the device, none of can "fix" that for you, and it's definitely not the inanimate phone's fault.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
@RavenSword, as already have been stated, try reinstalling iOS. It's quite possible that you have a bad/corrupt installation. It happens. Also, make sure you are using apps that are optimized for the iPhone 6 Plus. As for you bumping into things with the device, none of can "fix" that for you, and it's definitely not the inanimate phone's fault.

How do I reinstall iOS? Is that different than a regular restore?

Also, I never blamed the phone for me bumping it against stuff. I said that was on me obviously. But I do think the increased size makes it easier to knock it against stuff accidentally

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to have any device be it mobile or computer or any app or software that is 100% error free. There are bound to be glitches here and there just the nature of the beast.
As far as the latest Apple OS's Mac and iOS. They are a walk in the park compared to Mac OS 6,7, and 9 and early early 10.
It was always about turn this off to get something else to work constant trouble shooting.
Nowadays it basically restart or restore.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How do I reinstall iOS? Is that different than a regular restore?
Locate and delete the .ipsw file from your computer, connect your device to your computer, and then restore it via iTunes or do the above in regard to the ipsw file, put the device in DFU mode and then restore it via iTunes (my personal preference).

Also, I never blamed the phone for me bumping it against stuff. I said that was on me obviously. But I do think the increased size makes it easier to knock it against stuff accidentally
I understand what you're saying...;)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I restored through iTunes on my computer and so far it seems ok. Not noticing any real lag or anything. Not sure how doing the restore through iTunes is different from doing it through the phone itself, but I'll monitor to see how it holds up. I just did the restore through iTunes restore process, I didn't delete certain files or anything.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So I restored through iTunes on my computer and so far it seems ok. Not noticing any real lag or anything. Not sure how doing the restore through iTunes is different from doing it through the phone itself, but I'll monitor to see how it holds up. I just did the restore through iTunes restore process, I didn't delete certain files or anything.

Usually when I get a new iPhone I will restore from a backup just to get up and running quickly. This is what I did when I got my 6 plus.
But after a few days there were issues with Touch ID that I knew a restore as new would fix. I just dealt with it until I got around to doing it. Once I did the restore as new the problems were solved.
Whenever I have what seem to be software issue restart or restore as new is my go to solution.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Usually when I get a new iPhone I will restore from a backup just to get up and running quickly. This is what I did when I got my 6 plus.
But after a few days there were issues with Touch ID that I knew a restore as new would fix. I just dealt with it until I got around to doing it. Once I did the restore as new the problems were solved.
Whenever I have what seem to be software issue restart or restore as new is my go to solution.

I am still getting safari crashes. But it seems only on certain sites. Also, I'm still seeing weird power button and home button behavior. Whn I press the power or home button to turn the screen on, sometimes it won't work and I have to press again and when I press the power button to turn the screen off there a sorta long delay before it finishes turning the screen off and I hear the screen off lock sound. Also, typing is often frustrating because it keeps autocorrecting the wrong words or adding key types I don't even think I made. But I'm not sure on this.

Could these be software related?

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine has run flawlessly since getting at launch. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I had some issues with my iPhone 6 Plus and they seemed to coincide with the last OS update. But I couldn't understand why my phone because my iPad was fine on the OS and my daughter's iPhone 4S was fine with the latest update. My screen was freezing all the time. And the only way to use the screen again was to wait 2 minutes until it unfroze or hit the power button off then on again. It was driving me crazy that it was happening so frequently throughout the day. I did the restore to factory settings on the phone; that didn't work. I did the restore through iTunes; that didn't work either. I finally took it in to the Apple store and they determined that the screen was faulty and it was just a coincidence that the screen started to misbehave right around the time I updated the phone. Apple replaced my phone with another. It has been a few days and this replacement is awesome. No freezing at all. All of my issues have been resolved. I am so very happy with my iPhone 6 Plus now. Out of all of the smartphones I have ever had, that was only the 2nd time I have had a faulty one. Apple customer service really came to the rescue. No hassles. In and out and now satisfied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am still getting safari crashes. But it seems only on certain sites. Also, I'm still seeing weird power button and home button behavior. Whn I press the power or home button to turn the screen on, sometimes it won't work and I have to press again and when I press the power button to turn the screen off there a sorta long delay before it finishes turning the screen off and I hear the screen off lock sound. Also, typing is often frustrating because it keeps autocorrecting the wrong words or adding key types I don't even think I made. But I'm not sure on this.

Could these be software related?

I don't know what to tell you.
If you feel there is a delay in waking the phone up using both power and home buttons that would lean me more towards software than hardware because both buttons going down or failing is just unlikely in my opinion.