Is it really this hard to set a song as a ringtone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I never noticed that you can't use a song saved on the phone as a ringtone. I generally don't like doing that because then the song starts to annoy me after hearing it in 30 second blasts over and over.

But anyway, the OP is right, it's not easy and that's a con. I have set songs as ringtones on my BlackBerry (that's how I know I don't like it). I like options, and this is something I would like iOS to have.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
What really irritates me is the 30 sec restriction. I rip videogame music using emulators and make ringtones from them. It makes it a pain to have to splice them so much.

Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft all have music stores and they all deal with the record industry. I have to wonder why Apple's deal with them has to be anymore restrictive than the others?

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Agree with the OP. It's not hard to make the ring tones but it is comparatively more of a hassle to do it considering its baked in to Android. With that being said I have a custom ring tone that I barely change because I'm used to it by now.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Ringtonium is awesome. Can make 40 second ringtones or shorter notification tones. And I don't know if u can still do this or not but u used to be able to shorten a song to the section u want by right clicking and going to options create AAC and then save to ur tones.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, yeah? I got PERMANENTLY banned on Android Central just for defending Apple.

LOL!!!! Oh well don't feel bad. Speaking the truth is a bad thing in some sites. Not speaking of Android Central.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I had wondered where Pappy had gone on Android Central. His "defense" of Apple at AC was a little...enthusiastic...let's say. Anywho, as others have said, its not that its so terribly difficult to make a ringtone for an iOS device it's just easier in Android. No big biggy. Some things are harder in Android...like rooting vs. jail breaking.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
His "defense" of Apple at AC was a little...enthusiastic..

But I spoke the truth. When one speaks up for the brand that he believes in amidst untruths being told about said products, then I don't consider that as "trolling". But their mods do.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
But I spoke the truth. When one speaks up for the brand that he believes in amidst untruths being told about said products, then I don't consider that as "trolling". But their mods do.

There are sites where the truth is not welcome. Those sites are so overly sensitive that they go after the one telling the truth regardless how they are personally attacked. And leadership blames the one being attacked for the behaviour of those doing the attacking. I haven't experienced that at AC but those sites exist.

Be free of them. They're poison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad

graystuff

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
The truth is that it is a pain to have to do this and is too small to be a game changer; but, if most users would like this ability then what reason is there not to enable it, except money. This perception really hurts Apple's reputation.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think apples reputation is going to to be ok. Last quarter Apple reported $74.6 billion in revenue, $18 billion in net profit representing $3.06 per share. This is the largest corporate quarterly earnings of all time.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The truth is that it is a pain to have to do this and is too small to be a game changer; but, if most users would like this ability then what reason is there not to enable it, except money. This perception really hurts Apple's reputation.

But do most users really want this? In honesty I simply get them in iTunes.

(Sorry said Apple Store before. )

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Do most users even want custom ringtones? Whenever I'm in public and hear other people's ring or chirp a notification, it's almost always a built in tone (regardless of whether it's an iPhone, android, etc). In fact most of the time, it's the default sound it makes out of the box. So most users don't even switch among the available sounds installed on their device-at least as far as my experience goes.

I think the fad of custom ringtones has faded. I've got one, Penny Lane, from iTunes.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
If i buy mp3, then it have the right for that mp3. I should have have right to use it as my ringtone as well. Why should i buy another file just for ringtone ? Honestly say, i'm not agree with apple for this case "if" lisence is the case here.

From java and symbian era, we can easily just select the mp3 file as a ringtone in native setting without any tweak. Same way as android and blackberry allowed us to do now.

But anyway, this ringtone is not an issue for me since i don't need any specific songs for my ringtone.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

They expect you to drink the Koolaid and march in lockstep.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If i buy mp3, then it have the right for that mp3. I should have have right to use it as my ringtone as well. Why should i buy another file just for ringtone ? Honestly say, i'm not agree with apple for this case "if" lisence is the case here.

From java and symbian era, we can easily just select the mp3 file as a ringtone in native setting without any tweak. Same way as android and blackberry allowed us to do now.

But anyway, this ringtone is not an issue for me since i don't need any specific songs for my ringtone.

You don't have to buy the ringtone, too. But the only other option is to make (or have one made for you) the ringtone from the .mp3 or .m4a file.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the fad of custom ringtones has faded. I've got one, Penny Lane, from iTunes.

Perhaps the trend is fading. Maybe not. I have over 30 ringtones that I've created over the years. And I still use several of the old BlackBerry alerts for stuff like email and text messages. And I still use custom ringtones for family members. But with that said, I haven't changed them in years. I also haven't added any new ones in eons. As a "classic rock" guy, I'm pretty locked in. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a working computer. So there's no way for me to create or add a ringtone from songs I have already paid for. So the music industry wants me to pay twice for the same song? Yes, it's greed!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are apps for making ringtones... and doing so is only as difficult as one chooses to make it.

This thread is a horse in need of a rendering plant...

Status
Not open for further replies.