Is it really this hard to set a song as a ringtone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to set a song as a ringtone on my phone. In Android, you just go to settings, browse for a file, choose whatever song you want, and you're done.

I just Googled how to do it in iOS. It takes like 18 steps, including having to use a computer in the process.

Is it really that hard? If so, that is insane!!!!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to set a song as a ringtone on my phone. In Android, you just go to settings, browse for a file, choose whatever song you want, and you're done.

I just Googled how to do it in iOS. It takes like 18 steps, including having to use a computer in the process.

Is it really that hard? If so, that is insane!!!!!

It's not insane...it is what it is. And that is only representative if you want to MAKE a custom ringtone from one of your own files.

In iTunes, if you buy a ringtone, you can set it automatically to your settings in a single step...no muss no fuss.

Apple, after all, is heavily invested in the music industry, so giving free reign on music for ringtones is kind of counter productive for them if they are looking to sell them. The beauty is, they could easily patch this work around where you can MAKE your ringtones, but they don't.

If that effort is "that hard" for you to do or accept, maybe Android is a better fit for you.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I get custom free ones from zedge and other sites all the time. Takes about 2 minutes from start to finish to get my tone synced to my phone.

Sent from my iPhone 6 finally!

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Btw, it was just as easy in my various blackberrys, too. Why Apple has to make it difficult could only be greed.

It's not greed. Apple is trying to maintain business partnerships with record labels. The labels don't want people to just create ringtones without paying for them. Apple acquiesces to this.

Corporations exist to make money. They maximize profit for their shareholders. In some cases, they pay taxes on this profit (I won't get into my missive about tax shelters, UCC, foreign holdings, etc). The taxes provide for public services. Everyone wins.

The beauty of capitalism is if you don't like Apple's business practices, walk with your wallet. If you care about how people treat you on a web forum, you have bigger problems.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, he's right, and he's wrong. Putting ringtones on Android is easier, however, i put ringtones on all the iPhones in my family, and it's pretty simple. I just run the mp3 tones into a convertor, put them into iTunes as m4r, and plug the iPhone into the Mac. It's nowhere near 18 steps. Every once in a while, i have to defend iPhones. Haha.:p

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
It takes less than 5 minutes from start of making a custom ringtone to setting it in settings. And as far as the people on that site being nicer? Yea ok. I won't even get into that. There's less trolling and talking down to people on this forum than any other.

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Why Apple has to make it difficult could only be greed.

^ BINGO!! ^

However sometimes you need to take the good with the not so good in order to try different systems. Each has their own good/bad points. I just have gotten in the habit of using one ringtone as my main that I purchased off the store. I completely agree android is better and more user/consumer friendly in this regard. My 6+ is a great device so not going to let this issue deter me from a good experience.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean, I think you're right. The people on their forums are a lot nicer too. Have a good day.

Don't let the door hit ya...

Colbert+Wave.gif

mmohn01

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I use ring.tones and it effortlessly makes any song on your phone into a ringtone. There are other ways as well, but this app is fairly quick and painless.

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree it is a pain. I have tried purchasing a few ringtones but they apparently don't save like songs so I was screwed and lost them :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's life experience...maybe it's just different upbringings...but making ringtones on the iPhone is so simple, I don't understand people's distaste with it.

Is it that it's hard? Or are people complaining because it requires a little bit of effort?

Maybe some just have a different definition of the word "difficult" or "hard"...I mean yeah, a 70 year old man that has never touched a computer? Sure...but if you're on this forum, and you're complaining and/or struggling with making a custom ringtone on the iPhone...well...

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Sean, I think it is more to do with the fact that you do indeed have to make a ringtone. With android you can just pick whatever song you want and set it as a ringtone, no extra steps needed. It is a nice feature and one thing that android has over iOS. Every phone OS has something that you wish your other phone had.

Google voice works offline and understands my southern accent much better than Siri. On the flip side, Siri can read back and edit my texts before I send them, something that takes a lot of effort to even get close to on android. Google voice is also sounds like a robot whereas Siri has a personality to an extent. Again there are workarounds, just like ringtones for iOS, but when you see how easy it is on another system you wonder why your current OS creators made it more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.