Car Bluetooth and Notifications

puckparent

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a problem connecting to the car audio system via Bluetooth and my telephone calls come through the car audio system. When I use Google maps for GPS the directions are given through the phone audio and not the car. However, text messages or notifications go through the Bluetooth audio system and I don't hear them as I listen to the car radio and not Bluetooth. Is there an app so I can hear these notifications alert sound through the phone and not the car?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On some vehicles, only by plugging the device in or listening to music streamed from the device will you hear the notifications via Bluetooth. I've read somewhere on the web where people claimed that removing the fuse for the audio system in the car and then re-inserting it will allow for you to be able to receive notifications via Bluetooth, but I have not tried it so take it with a grain of salt, so to speak. ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what is your output set to on the AirPlay selection?

Mine is normally set to my car, however, if I set it to "iPhone", I do indeed get audible notifications as I've stated somewhere in a thread a while back, however, the notifications are limited to the phone itself and does not emit over the vehicle's speaker system. Still, thank you for the reminder regarding the AirPlay option. I had totally forgotten about that ...;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by AirPlay? Is there someplace to change the output on the phone settings?

When your iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to your vehicle, you should be able to access the Control Center on your iPhone by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Afterwards, the name of your car or car's feature, should be visible just above the bottom row of icons. For those with an Apple TV, "AirPlay" will be displayed there. Anyway, if you tap on the name of your car, you will see "iPhone" as another choice to select. If you opt to select "iPhone", your text and email notifications will be heard through the iPhone's speakers whereas any call notifications will be heard via the vehicle's speakers. This is a workaround that allows you to play your radio in your car and still hear the aforementioned notifications.