My trip to the darkside - An Apple guy lost in a Nexus

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
So recently I began having the feeling I always get this time of year. I was getting bored with iOS after almost 2 full years without jumping (took a brief 2 hour test drive with the G3 this summer) and had been eyeing the Nexus 6 since it was announced. I loved the Material Design of Android L when it was announced and really wanted to try out 5.0 when it was finalized, but only having a Nexus 6 would give the best experience. Nobody I knew had the phone and you could not find it in stores near me. I browsed and browsed hoping I could find one to trade my phone for, but alas, nobody wanted to trade straight up (which is dumb because a 64gb iPhone 6 Plus is $850 unlocked and the Nexus is $700, but I digress) and so I gave up. After finally convincing the wife that our communication would not suffer switching away from iMessage and that I would truly enjoy the phone, I ordered one last week. I eagerly awaited its arrival and finally it arrived early this week. I immediately set it up, adding my favorite apps, signing in to Google and listed my phone on eBay. After a few hours I was convinced; Android had come a long way from even Kit Kat. 5.0 is buttery smooth, Material Design is beautiful, my Pebble worked a little better, sound was great and battery seemed okay. The camera was, how do I put this, meh. That was something that kept eating at me. After several days with the phone I was sitting in my cubicle at work today and had an epiphany, I still don't want to leave Apple behind. I am a long time Apple fan, I use Macs for everything and have an iPad and rely heavily on iTunes and other Apple services. My main email is an iCloud account (previously Mobile Me) and it is just what I am used to. I switched back, but Google has done a great job. Don't be persuaded by fan boys or extremist Apple supporters and if you want to try it, then do it. Motorola made the process of ordering and returning easy enough and it won't end up costing me anything. I truly did think I would keep the phone, but inevitably I came back as I always do. Now I wait for April and the Apple Watch.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6, too. It's an interesting device, but the camera is abysmal on it. There is almost no consistency.

A few other issues with it - it's just a blown up screen. There are no unique features that use the 5.96 inch screen, that and Google's default DPI drives me nuts. That and the size. The thing is a BEAST.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time Android fan and user and recently got a Nexus 6. I ended up selling it for two reasons: 1) the thing is an absolutely gigantic phone. I'm not that big of a guy and there is absolutely no way to do anything on it one handed. 2) there is no reason to have that gigantic screen without any way to minimize it, dual screen, etc. There is just no proper app or feature that utilized the huge screen - it's just huge for the sake of being huge.

I sold it and bought an iPhone 6+. It is a great phone that I like overall, but there are still a lot of things about Android that I prefer and am still considering going back to. At this stage in the game, each OS is awesome and each has their pluses and minuses. It's really just a preference.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I want to jailbreak my phone this weekend and add in some of the Android features that aren't available on iOS as well as some that are only available via Cydia. I watched a top 100 jailbreak tweaks ever and it had about 40 that I wanted to try.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
If people get bored with iOS, why don't they just buy a Nexus 7? It's a great tablet, easy to hold. Although I don't like Android enough to make it my phone daily driver, but still.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If people get bored with iOS, why don't they just buy a Nexus 7? It's a great tablet, easy to hold. Although I don't like Android enough to make it my phone daily driver, but still.

I spent WAY too much on the 6 Plus to be able to afford a second device. Haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Boland

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Nothing wrong with having more than one platform. I'm a Windows Phone guy myself. (after having 4 generations of iPhones) Switched over a few years ago and couldn't be happier with the WP platform! It's getting better and better with each update. Currently have the amazing 1520 (which has one of the best cameras btw) but like you, I'm still very fond of Apple, and also have a new iPad Air 2. It's like having the best of both worlds!

If you prefer the iPhone for your daily driver phone, then make it so... and to satisfy that "Android craving", get yourself a nice Nexus or Samsung tablet.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
So recently I began having the feeling I always get this time of year. I was getting bored with iOS after almost 2 full years without jumping (took a brief 2 hour test drive with the G3 this summer) and had been eyeing the Nexus 6 since it was announced. I loved the Material Design of Android L when it was announced and really wanted to try out 5.0 when it was finalized, but only having a Nexus 6 would give the best experience. Nobody I knew had the phone and you could not find it in stores near me. I browsed and browsed hoping I could find one to trade my phone for, but alas, nobody wanted to trade straight up (which is dumb because a 64gb iPhone 6 Plus is $850 unlocked and the Nexus is $700, but I digress) and so I gave up. After finally convincing the wife that our communication would not suffer switching away from iMessage and that I would truly enjoy the phone, I ordered one last week. I eagerly awaited its arrival and finally it arrived early this week. I immediately set it up, adding my favorite apps, signing in to Google and listed my phone on eBay. After a few hours I was convinced; Android had come a long way from even Kit Kat. 5.0 is buttery smooth, Material Design is beautiful, my Pebble worked a little better, sound was great and battery seemed okay. The camera was, how do I put this, meh. That was something that kept eating at me. After several days with the phone I was sitting in my cubicle at work today and had an epiphany, I still don't want to leave Apple behind. I am a long time Apple fan, I use Macs for everything and have an iPad and rely heavily on iTunes and other Apple services. My main email is an iCloud account (previously Mobile Me) and it is just what I am used to. I switched back, but Google has done a great job. Don't be persuaded by fan boys or extremist Apple supporters and if you want to try it, then do it. Motorola made the process of ordering and returning easy enough and it won't end up costing me anything. I truly did think I would keep the phone, but inevitably I came back as I always do. Now I wait for April and the Apple Watch.

I too had wanted to try a Nexus 6, but I know myself all to well. I would have had the exact same experience, and results. Thanks for saving me a lot hassles and typing ...

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I could see myself going back to Android for a Samsung device. But not for a Nexus. I just find that the experience isn't that much different from iOS. Other than widgets that I don't really use, I feel like iOS offers more than stock Android. Now Samsung devices are another story. Those are the most feature packed devices that I have ever used. Also, I like having a variety of accessories available for my smartphone. The Nexus line doesn't offer as much in that area. Not saying that the Nexus isn't awesome. I'm sure it is. But I don't see the benefit in it over my iPhone 6 Plus. Like everyone knows, anything Google can be had on iOS. And in some instances the Google apps work better on iOS. Not worth the switch just to gain the ability to have widgets on the home screen.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I could see myself going back to Android for a Samsung device. But not for a Nexus. I just find that the experience isn't that much different from iOS. Other than widgets that I don't really use, I feel like iOS offers more than stock Android. Now Samsung devices are another story. Those are the most feature packed devices that I have ever used. Also, I like having a variety of accessories available for my smartphone. The Nexus line doesn't offer as much in that area. Not saying that the Nexus isn't awesome. I'm sure it is. But I don't see the benefit in it over my iPhone 6 Plus. Like everyone knows, anything Google can be had on iOS. And in some instances the Google apps work better on iOS. Not worth the switch just to gain the ability to have widgets on the home screen.

I agree. I've only ever been interested in Samsung devices on the android platform, for all the features they offer. Nexus devices are the definition of boring for me. But for me right now the 6 plus is the phone for me.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got three awesome devices this year, my iPhone 6, a Note 4, and a Lumia 1520. This is my best tech year EVER. Each of my devices is a monster in its own right.

That said, my Beloved is my iPhone 6. Can't wait until next year when I will get the iPhone 6s Plus (or whatever it will be called.) I'm not sure that I will get the Note 5 but I am fairly convinced that I will get the successor to the Lumia 1520.

I honestly think I've hit the tech combination that I enjoy the most. I'm not feeling any curiosity towards the Nexus line.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've got three awesome devices this year, my iPhone 6, a Note 4, and a Lumia 1520. This is my best tech year EVER. Each of my devices is a monster in its own right.

That said, my Beloved is my iPhone 6. Can't wait until next year when I will get the iPhone 6s Plus (or whatever it will be called.) I'm not sure that I will get the Note 5 but I am fairly convinced that I will get the successor to the Lumia 1520.

I honestly think I've hit the tech combination that I enjoy the most. I'm not feeling any curiosity towards the Nexus line.

Have they begun offering Google apps on Windows phone yet? Been waiting for Hangouts for I think about trying.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Have they begun offering Google apps on Windows phone yet? Been waiting for Hangouts for I think about trying.

I've got Google, but I haven't loaded Hangouts. I just searched and there appear to be several apps that seem to me to be clients for it but not Google Hangouts itself. To be honest, after trying the disastrous experience of Android apps on my Q10, I'm not keen on doing the cross platform thing again. Google works fine but I haven't looked for anything else.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
4776793a5d0c6cee3baf05bd202cad38.png

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What i don't understand, is someone buying a phone, any phone, and then saying that they don't like it because it's too big, or too small. WTF, doesn't anyone actually hold the phone in their hands BEFORE they buy it? I have a Nexus 5, and i wanted the N6, until i heard about the size of the thing. I actually went to an AT&T store where they sell the phone, and i really held it in my hand. When i go to look at a new phone, i do my homework to such a degree, that i know more about the prospective phone than anyone in the store.
P.S. I joined the Dark Side a long time ago, and i've never looked back.:p

sdc1

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Nexus 6 since Friday and now I'm considering an iPhone 6 Plus.

The size of the Nexus 6 is fine, it's the iffy camera, and terrible battery life that I don't think I can feel with. The battery in my Note 4 was much better, as much as I like stock Android and wanted to like the Nexus these two factors are deal breakers for me.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
What i don't understand, is someone buying a phone, any phone, and then saying that they don't like it because it's too big, or too small. WTF, doesn't anyone actually hold the phone in their hands BEFORE they buy it? I have a Nexus 5, and i wanted the N6, until i heard about the size of the thing. I actually went to an AT&T store where they sell the phone, and i really held it in my hand. When i go to look at a new phone, i do my homework to such a degree, that i know more about the prospective phone than anyone in the store.

I tried it out in the store and thought I could handle it. It was a much different story when I actually used it. It's doable, but definitely not comfortable, especially trying anything one handed. The 6 Plus is a little easier to use, and so is the Note 4. The problem with the Nexus 6, and I still think it's a great phone, is that it has no software additions to work with the huge screen. It's just a huge screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

It's different in real life situations. Yes you can get a feel for a phone in the store but when use it in everyday situations that's where the deciding factor is. Since the iPhone 6 Plus felt alright in my hand it became a bit of a pain due it's size each day using it. Loved the screen real estate and battery life but it comes down to what you really need the phone for. I always have my phone in my front pocket and I constantly needed to take it out to bend over to tie my shoes, drive in my car, play around with my kids etc. The phone constantly needed to be out and about for me. So yes you can always get a feel for a phone in store but when using it day to day that's why people switch etc.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Nexus 6 since Friday and now I'm considering an iPhone 6 Plus.

The size of the Nexus 6 is fine, it's the iffy camera, and terrible battery life that I don't think I can feel with. The battery in my Note 4 was much better, as much as I like stock Android and wanted to like the Nexus these two factors are deal breakers for me.

OK., I guess that you have big hands.:p
Posted via the iMore App for Android