Windows Phone user considering switch to iPhone for first time - questions about iOS

EchoOne30

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I've been on windows phone since about 2011, and before that windows mobile. While I love the platform, I cannot take the app gap anymore. My contract is up now and I'm open to switch if I like. The only phone I'd switch to is the 6 plus. Android does not interest me. I just had some questions about things that I really like how windows phone does it, hoping that the iphone does it similarly.

1) Most importantly, all my contacts are synced to Outlook. I love this as I keep my contacts no matter where I go. Can I get my contacts on the iphone from outlook? And when I add a new contact, can I add it to Outlook?

2) Does it have a stock app that WP calls "data sense"? In that it tracks your data and what apps are using what. Both when you use it, and in the background (I have 6gb a month, but I like to keep track of it all)

3) I know there is some sort of shortcut panel you get to by swiping up from the bottom. Is that customizable at all?

4) Are there apps that pin specific settings to the home screen? As in can I pin the Bluetooth control page?

5) Is there a 'low battery' mode? For example on windows phone if you get to 20% it enters a mode where it turns off anything that uses data automatically, etc.

6) If anyone uses the SiriusXM app; can you multitask? Meaning can you keep the audio streaming while navigating to do something else on the device?

7) Can I pin certain folders within my outlook to the home screen?

8) Is iTunes still a must, or have they allowed drag and drop yet?

9) Can Siri add reminders, calendar entries, call people, text people hands free, etc? (apologies this may be a stupid question, just want to make sure)

Many thanks all for any help.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
1: yes, yes,
2: Usage is tracked in the settings app.
3: The control panel is not customizable out of the box.
4: Not really... bluetooth on/off is on the control panel... otherwise, the settings app is where to control things, and that can be on the home screen.
5: no
6: Yes - unless you open another app that involves audio - then what you're streaming will pause.
7: no
8: iTunes is needed.
9: yes

Bowlegz

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I made the same decision a couple of months ago. The change over was seamless with my outlook account and all contacts, if you want to buy apps and music iTunes is the only way to get em, and all of your other concerns were pretty much answered in the first reply. iOS is really nice and you can say goodbye to the app gap!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...music iTunes is the only way to get em
Not quite... you can have music that you've acquired from other sources and add/import into the iTunes library and sync to your iDevices... more than half my music library was ripped from CDs...

EchoOne30

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I made the same decision a couple of months ago. The change over was seamless with my outlook account and all contacts, if you want to buy apps and music iTunes is the only way to get em, and all of your other concerns were pretty much answered in the first reply. iOS is really nice and you can say goodbye to the app gap!

That is excellent to know thank you. The contacts one is the biggest part of my apprehension.
As a fellow WP user, how relieving is it to finally just be able to use any app that you hear about?

sdc1

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
As a fellow WP user, how relieving is it to finally just be able to use any app that you hear about?

I can answer that, it's fantastic. I still really like WP and miss my Lumia 1020. I grew to resent it though because of the missing apps. Unfortunately the situation seems unlikely to change. Not having to wonder if an app you hear about is available to you is great. With iOS and Android you just know it's there.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234