In regard to the iPhone 6 Plus, is 16 GBs enough storage?

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the iPhone 6 plus in 16gb but I don't know it it would be enough storage. I can't afford anything higher. I put all my stuff on the cloud and I stream my media. I would mostly use it for apps. Lots of apps. No games on it since I have the 64GB iPad mini 2. I was thinking of getting the galaxy note 4 since what's the point in having the iPhone 6 plus if I have an iPad mini. But yeah would 16gb would be enough for just apps? How much apps can I hold. I understand that I will have 12.2GB out of the box.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
16gb will be enough for light apps usage. And you said you can't afford anything higher so. As for the quantity of apps you can load into 16gb, it will depend a lot on the sizes of the apps you are installing. Apps can be bigger up to 600mb and games even more. Apps can also be lighter up to 1mb. But you can sure install most used apps for social, photos, utilities like me with my 16gb 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You will also have to take into consideration that you'll need 3-4 GB free to maintain smooth operation and to install any updates OTA ... So in reality you're getting 8GB useable, for the simple fact you're getting 4 times the storage for an additional $100 I'd highly recommend getting a 64GB

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I started with a 16gb then tried 64gb and from there I thought well hell might as well go for the big one 128gb but I realized that I was just caught up in the hype and addiction of have a new device, so once the smoke cleared and I noticed I was downloading stuff just cause I returned my 128gb for 16gb and AppleCare+. The funny thing is that when I went to the Apple Store the rep said that this happens frequently. The moral of this story is you should get what is actually going to suit your needs. If you know that you're not use 64 or 128gb in your realtime usage with the device then 16gb will be just fine.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People should stop buying 16GB devices so they shy away from making them in the future...with the size of the OS these days, I can't imagine someone being satisfied with such a small storage amount without A.) expandable storage options or B.) heavy reliance on Cloud storage (which lets face it, isn't a really great option when it comes to our societies instant access mentality).

I think if people stop buying so many 16GB phones, manufacturers will make 32GB the standard...which I think is a far better point since it still gives you almost 30GB of storage after the OS takes it's cut of the pie.

Rnkriis

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have a 16 gb and sit with about 5 gb free. Realistically i have about 2 1/2 pages of apps that i downloaded with a handful of games, about 150 songs and Jailbroke. i use dropbox a lot so it doesn't eat up a lot of memory. So as long as you manage your space it should be fine.

Just my 2 cents.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I can downgrade and get the iPhone 5s 32GB. So that's another option. I owned the 5s before in gold but in 16gb and that didn't play to nicely. But I also didn't have a tablet back then. So maybe I should consider getting the 5s in a higher storage? My roommate has one and the text and apps looks so tiny. So who knows.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
16 GB "can" be enough, but that will depend on your usage. Having said that, I highly recommend you try to get the 64 GB model, if at all possible. Four times the storage for an additional $100 is well worth it, in my opinion.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't know I'm thinking the 16gb might be around as it is more popular than let on, 32gb as a starting point would have been great but I think that 16gb may have never gone away since there are businesses/schools that use iPhone and iPads, also when I attend meetings and see other people with the 6+ or any iPhone I ask what capacity is there's and why that capacity. The most common answer is 16gb with the main usage being checking email or other simple business related stuff and having a higher capacity device doesn't matter to them. So I don't know in my personal use I wouldn't need anymore than a 16gb device, maybe the logic this go round with Apple is the business user can still have the 16gb for $749 and the more personal user can have 4x that capacity for a $100 premium or 8x that capacity at a $200 premium but who knows I'm not a marketing major.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I would be able to wait. I just think the phone isn't worth and extra $100. It's worth the extra storage, sure... but if the specs of the phone were greater than I would pay that. My iPad mini has tons of apps on it and I bring it everywhere. I'm going to my carriers store today and try out the 6 plus

Real Camera

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
As a rule I would advise never to buy something that is a stretch even today. For apps 16gb today is fine. If you want to use it to move files sometimes or you take a lot of photos it's pretty low. But if you buy a phone today ( and you are not buying new 1 every year) it means that you will have to live with this relatively low space for 2-4 years. And you will feel the pain of 16gb more and more as the time passes since apps grows... everything pretty much grows over time.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would be able to wait. I just think the phone isn't worth and extra $100. It's worth the extra storage, sure... but if the specs of the phone were greater than I would pay that. My iPad mini has tons of apps on it and I bring it everywhere. I'm going to my carriers store today and try out the 6 plus

This thread is in regard to storage, isn't it? The additional $100 is in regard to having more on-device storage. You've already stated that "it's worth the extra storage, sure."

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
People should stop buying 16GB devices so they shy away from making them in the future...with the size of the OS these days, I can't imagine someone being satisfied with such a small storage amount without A.) expandable storage options or B.) heavy reliance on Cloud storage (which lets face it, isn't a really great option when it comes to our societies instant access mentality).

I think if people stop buying so many 16GB phones, manufacturers will make 32GB the standard...which I think is a far better point since it still gives you almost 30GB of storage after the OS takes it's cut of the pie.

Do you need my GMail address so that you know where to send the extra $100 or $200 for me to support your cause instead of my needs?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You might be surprised to see how many people actually make do with the 16 gb iPhone. It's not that difficult if you don't put tons of music on it. I started with 12.6 gb on my iP 5. I have 141 downloaded apps, about 250 photos on the camera roll (most I upload to Box, Dropbox and OneDrive). But I don't have much music. I could have more. I have about 4 gb available. My Wife's 5c is 32 gb. She's only used 4 gb of storage. The biggest problem are the updates. Too many have to delete a bunch of stuff just to update. For that reason, the base should start at 32 gb. But even so, there would still be those with 128 gb who would need to delete stuff to update. LOL

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
This thread is in regard to storage, isn't it? The additional $100 is in regard to having more on-device storage. You've already stated that "it's worth the extra storage, sure."
Ok. I'm not going to pay an whopping $100 for extra storage. Since thinking about the specs of the phone it's not worth it even for the storage. That's what I'm trying to say. Let's say the note 4 was 16gb and cost $10p to upgrade storage. Then I would cuz the specs are greater than the 6 plus. I know this thread I posted is based upon storage but I was just making a statement...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I'm not going to pay an whopping $100 for extra storage. Since thinking about the specs of the phone it's not worth it even for the storage. That's what I'm trying to say. Let's say the note 4 was 16gb and cost $10p to upgrade storage. Then I would cuz the specs are greater than the 6 plus. I know this thread I posted is based upon storage but I was just making a statement...

So your point is focused on not spending "additional" money to increase "storage" on a device you consider to be sub-par spec-wise, even though you still want to buy it even though you fear the storage may not be enough. Understood.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
So your point is focused on not spending "additional" money to increase "storage" on a device you consider to be sub-par spec-wise, even though you still want to buy it anyway even though you think the storage may not be enough. Understood.
Yup. Thanks for understanding.

dimitrist

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

go buy a note 4 then, you are trying to convince your self to do, since the iPhone's *stats* are not satisfying to you. I paid 200 more for the 128gb version because I have over 500 apps, 20 gigs in songs and tons of HD movies, and I want to be able to take pictures and movies without having to worry about space.