Is it true that Optical Image Stabilization on the iPhone 6 Plus is only being used in dark photos and not in video?

ZekkRagnos

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Is it true that Optical Image Stabilization on the iPhone 6 Plus is only being used in dark photos and not in video?

Is it true that OIS is only being used in dark photos and not in video? Been reading this lately but couldn't find info on it. A just recently released video of a very reliable tech YouTuber said the same thing and I've been wondering why the news hasn't spread. Here is the link http://youtu.be/qcCUSvj6oGE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Optical Image Stabilization on the iPhone 6 Plus

I think it's FUD... fear, uncertainty, and doubt being pedaled by people that can't find anything else legitimate to criticize so they're largely making stuff up to gin up web hits to their videos and blogs.

bsmith0731

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I think it's FUD... fear, uncertainty, and doubt being pedaled by people that can't find anything else legitimate to criticize so they're largely making stuff up to gin up web hits to their videos and blogs.
Posting videos for more views

dimitrist

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

she used to be into iPhones, but she is shifting towards android and samsung in general, I don't watch her videos anymore, they are biased, she finds little things to complain about apple products that make no sense.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

It's not FUD. It's true.

The OIS is only used for photos. Apple still uses Digital Stabilization for video in the iPhone 6 Plus. The 6 Plus' advantage over the 6 is purely in photography, not videography.

BTW, she's more credible on these things than you could ever hope to be. It's pretty rude for you to accuse her of click baiting or spreading FUD when you clearly haven't even attempted to do even trivial research on the matter...

Apple clearly states the OIS is for Low Light Photography. The "Cinematic Video Stabilization" they talk about in their product pages is Digital Stabilization for Video, not Optical. This has been known since Day 1.

http://www.photographybay.com/2014/09/21/iphone-6-video-stabilization-sample/#more-52629

Last edited:

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
It's not FUD. It's true.

The OIS is only used for photos. Apple still uses Digital Stabilization for video in the iPhone 6 Plus. The 6 Plus' advantage over the 6 is purely in photography, not videography.

BTW, she's more credible on these things than you could ever hope to be. It's pretty rude for you to accuse her of click baiting or spreading FUD when you clearly haven't even attempted to do even trivial research on the matter...

Apple clearly states the OIS is for Low Light Photography. The "Cinematic Video Stabilization" they talk about in their product pages is Digital Stabilization for Video, not Optical. This has been known since Day 1.

The link you posted explained nothing about the 6+ video in fact it is more gear toward the photo capabilities of both and doesn't focus on video hardly at all. I do believe that from the explanation of OIS that I've heard in reviews of various devices that the optics of the camera move to balance shaking of the hands, ect. so I would think that this is in fact a hardware stabilization, and maybe the 6+ uses both hardware and software stabilization. Hell I don't know this is my second attempt at iOS since the iPhone 5, and I'm just an average consumer. I could be wrong.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

It's not FUD. It's true.

iPhone 6 Video Stabilization Sample

What are you guys dating , or something? Quite frankly I never heard of this chick before this, but I have heard of Phone Arena and this is a quote from their article ....
"Both Samsung and Apple scored a first with their new phablets: Optical Image Stabilization. That's right, both the Galaxy Note 4 and the iPhone 6 Plus are equipped with the gizmo, promising to minimize and correct for shake and tremor during video capture.

Sure, an OIS module's usefulness extends beyond just video – if the software is optimized for it, it'll also free up the camera to go for slower shutter speeds, and that's beneficial when shooting in dark environments, as the tiny sensor can use any help it can get taking in as much light as possible. This is achievable, because the stabilizing contraption will essentially nullify tremor in your hands (yes, they tremble even if you think you're keeping perfectly still), and thus, side-step blur. In other words, while OIS is, strictly speaking, hardware, it is of little use if it receives no proper support from the camera software.

Starting with Samsung, the company calls its particular implementation "Smart OIS", which is just a marketing term that refers to the joined efforts of the aforementioned widget and Digital Image Stabilization on the software side. Much the same arrangement is also true with the iPhone 6 Plus – OIS is implemented alongside software stabilization, which Apple chose to call Cinematic Video Stabilization.

So how do these two handle themselves, and is one better than the other? The truth is that they're about equally good in stabilizing shaky footage, but they different in terms of the kind of scenarios they handle best. For example, in our experience, the Note 4 was better at minimizing small to medium amounts of shake, while the iPhone 6 Plus outdid it when real jerky movements were involved (arguably less common). Even with that distinction, though, we still think that we have a situation close to a stalemate at our hands, but we ended up liking the Note 4 just a bit more. Take a look."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5XpPnlzPwg

ray sital

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
New to her channel, she seems to be nit picky about all phones. She's very critical and I think that's why a lot of people like her videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Is it true that Optical Image Stabilization on the iPhone 6 Plus is only bein...

She as credible, if not more so, than any of the iMore people. Questioning her intent in stating the truth is comical. The Note 4 uses OIS for stabilization. The iPhone 6 Plus does not. Apple uses a proprietary digital stabilization algorithm for that, which works quite well. Sony has their own digital stabilization which rivals any OIS systems (and Apples, they call it SteadyShot or something), so it's not really a bad thing if your software is good enough, which Apple's clearly is. Why go to shakier OIS stabilization when your algorithms deliver better stabilized video?

Different means to the same result. OIS uses less power because the device doesn't have to either crop the image or use extra pixels around the frame to stabilize it. OIS systems don't have to process the stabilization. It just shoots and the camera sensor does its work.

6 Plus doesn't use OIS for video. It isn't even something people should be arguing over because everyone except apparently the people here have known about this since the day it was announced. The OIS is used for photography only (which benefits to Low Light and HDR especially).

The big advantage the Note 4 has is that it can do 4K recording, which you can then load into an editing package and get rock solid stabilization at picture qualities impossible to achieve from footage out of any iPhone when you downscale it to 1080p. You can do this with a Note 3 or S5 as well (they use no stabilization for 4K, but that's what Premier Elements/Pro or Final Cut is for ). That's the only reason why I've ever cared about 4K on a phone, Lol.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't rely on one person to tell me what's good and what's not good. I switched from Android phone to iPhone after one full year of comparison and actual usage between the two to derive my decision.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it true that Optical Image Stabilization on the iPhone 6 Plus is only bein...

She as credible, if not more so, than any of the iMore people. Questioning her intent in stating the truth is comical.

What's comical is your investment in this lady...and the fact that you view her opinion as factual truths. Do you need some lotion and some alone time?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What she said isn't an opinion.

That's what's comical. Just cause the phone doesn't use OIS for video doesn't mean:

1. The stabilization is bad
2. The fact that it doesn't isn't fact, just cause you ignorantly thought opposite.

I'm not invested in her. Not at all. I barely ever watch review videos. But only an ***** would question her credibility.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it true that Optical Image Stabilization on the iPhone 6 Plus is only bein...

She as credible, if not more so, than any of the iMore people. Questioning her intent in stating the truth is comical. The Note 4 uses OIS for stabilization. The iPhone 6 Plus does not. Apple uses a proprietary digital stabilization algorithm for that, which works quite well. Sony has their own digital stabilization which rivals any OIS systems (and Apples, they call it SteadyShot or something), so it's not really a bad thing if your software is good enough, which Apple's clearly is. Why go to shakier OIS stabilization when your algorithms deliver better stabilized video?

Different means to the same result. OIS uses less power because the device doesn't have to either crop the image or use extra pixels around the frame to stabilize it. OIS systems don't have to process the stabilization. It just shoots and the camera sensor does its work.

6 Plus doesn't use OIS for video. It isn't even something people should be arguing over because everyone except apparently the people here have known about this since the day it was announced. The OIS is used for photography only (which benefits to Low Light and HDR especially).

The big advantage the Note 4 has is that it can do 4K recording, which you can then load into an editing package and get rock solid stabilization at picture qualities impossible to achieve from footage out of any iPhone when you downscale it to 1080p. You can do this with a Note 3 or S5 as well (they use no stabilization for 4K, but that's what Premier Elements/Pro or Final Cut is for ). That's the only reason why I've ever cared about 4K on a phone, Lol.

The iPhone Plus has optical image stabilization while the 6 is the one with the digital.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What she said isn't an opinion.

That's what's comical. Just cause the phone doesn't use OIS for video doesn't mean:

1. The stabilization is bad
2. The fact that it doesn't isn't fact, just cause you ignorantly thought opposite.

I'm not invested in her. Not at all. I barely ever watch review videos. But only an ***** would question her credibility.

Her entire line of videos are opinion based...she offers her opinions on each device. I never personally said she lacked credibility...personally, I've watched her videos before and found her to be a pretty fair reviewer of these devices (most times), but in the end, she presented an indirect opinion that the cinema video digital stabilization was not on par with OIS, she was concerned with it enough to contact Apple to get an "official statement", thus presenting an opinion on it.

And feel free to point out where I ever "ignorantly thought opposite"...lol. I'll give you a hint...I never did, because I understood the image stabilization the iPhone 6 Plus has without watching her video.

Now this might be the time where you'll reference my comment about "click bait"...what you failed to comprehend was that that was directed at the OP, whose first (and apparently last) post on the forum was a youtube video with a kind of silly question of "why the news hasn't "spread"...lol. It was click bait...why? I haven no idea why the OP did it, maybe he makes a cut of money from it, maybe he's just an annoying youtube spammer, who knows.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The iPhone Plus has optical image stabilization while the 6 is the one with the digital.

The 6 Plus only uses OIS in still photography...video capture uses cinematic video stabilization (on both models).

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

"I was wondering why the news hasn't spread." - Original Poster

I'm not saying this to be facetious but I think it's because it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Her entire line of videos are opinion based...she offers her opinions on each device. I never personally said she lacked credibility...personally, I've watched her videos before and found her to be a pretty fair reviewer of these devices (most times), but in the end, she presented an indirect opinion that the cinema video digital stabilization was not on par with OIS, she was concerned with it enough to contact Apple to get an "official statement", thus presenting an opinion on it.

And feel free to point out where I ever "ignorantly thought opposite"...lol. I'll give you a hint...I never did, because I understood the image stabilization the iPhone 6 Plus has without watching her video.

Now this might be the time where you'll reference my comment about "click bait"...what you failed to comprehend was that that was directed at the OP, whose first (and apparently last) post on the forum was a youtube video with a kind of silly question of "why the news hasn't "spread"...lol. It was click bait...why? I haven no idea why the OP did it, maybe he makes a cut of money from it, maybe he's just an annoying youtube spammer, who knows.

Oh lost me at lotion. And I don't think I addressed you with that reference. I believe I quoted the post I was referencing making that pretty clear cut.

Later.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh lost me at lotion. And I don't think I addressed you with that reference. I believe I quoted the post I was referencing making that pretty clear cut.

Later.

You directly addressed my comment about her "opinion", then went on and on and on. If you didn't intend to infer that I made the comment, perhaps you could be a little more clear (after all, you didn't quote anything in your post to make me think otherwise).

It's ok though, I thought your leg humping was hilarious.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77