Touch ID - yer doin it wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmacdowall

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
If you have an iPhone 6 Plus purchased in December and your Touch ID does not work, let me save you some time. No matter what you do, it's not going to work until Apple issues an iOS update.

I'm not talking about spotty recognition. I'm talking about NO recognition. You enter a finger. It works fine on the first try for a couple of hours. Then, as more time goes by, the recognition gradually gets worse, until less than 24 hours later there is no recognition whatsoever. At that point you can enter the same finger again and it will be recognized immediately.

At first I thought it was hardware, so I returned the phone and got one that did the same thing. Then I researched some more and the other people experiencing it seemed to also all be on 8.1.2, so I went back to Apple this past Sunday to ask for a phone with something prior to 8.1.2.

The technician told me that Apple has "acknowledged" the Touch ID problem and that it will be fixed in the next release which is coming out "soon". I did get a phone with 8.0 on it, but Touch ID still does not work, even though I set up as new with no restore.

I am guessing that there is some kind of second factor like model, amount of idle time, or manufacture date because it does not seem to be affecting everyone. Or maybe it IS and they are all convinced that they are doing it wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

purchase date: 12/12/14

iPhone 6 Plus 64g
ios 8.0(12A366)
Model NGAH2LL/A (Sprint has different model than other carriers)

jimkraz

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I must say mine, though bought early November, works fine with both mine and my wife's print, just so she can answer while I am driving.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If you have an iPhone 6 Plus purchased in December and your Touch ID does not work, let me save you some time. No matter what you do, it's not going to work until Apple issues an iOS update.

I'm not talking about spotty recognition. I'm talking about NO recognition. You enter a finger. It works fine on the first try for a couple of hours. Then, as more time goes by, the recognition gradually gets worse, until less than 24 hours later there is no recognition whatsoever. At that point you can enter the same finger again and it will be recognized immediately.

At first I thought it was hardware, so I returned the phone and got one that did the same thing. Then I researched some more and the other people experiencing it seemed to also all be on 8.1.2, so I went back to Apple this past Sunday to ask for a phone with something prior to 8.1.2.

The technician told me that Apple has "acknowledged" the Touch ID problem and that it will be fixed in the next release which is coming out "soon". I did get a phone with 8.0 on it, but Touch ID still does not work, even though I set up as new with no restore.

I am guessing that there is some kind of second factor like model, amount of idle time, or manufacture date because it does not seem to be affecting everyone. Or maybe it IS and they are all convinced that they are doing it wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

purchase date: 12/12/14

iPhone 6 Plus 64g
ios 8.0(12A366)
Model NGAH2LL/A (Sprint has different model than other carriers)

I bought mine on launch day and have and ZERO issues with TouchID. I am running iOS 8.1.2, and it works exactly as I would expect it to work.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I received my 6 Plus on November 11. The only issue I had with touch id was solved with a restore as new.
Initially I restored from a 5S backup. I would say it would fail 2-3 times out of 10 before the restore. Now it's 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The technician told me that Apple has "acknowledged" the Touch ID problem and that it will be fixed in the next release which is coming out "soon".

Riiiiight...why is it that there is this mysterious "technician" whenever these isolated problems pop up that says "Apple acknowledges there is a problem". That has never and will never happen. General Apple store clerk? Sure...basic CSR from phone support? Maybe (though I doubt it because the calls are recorded).

It's always the same story though..."blah blah blah acknowledged this is a problem", with an implication it's more than an isolated incident.

Drive by threads. Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.